News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

"Banned" - Bug

Started by gunnargumpert, July 07, 2010, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunnargumpert

Ok, to say it short: That bug is funny - i found it, while searchin a bit in the "room of the week" - topic

[spoiler=How can you be online, if you're banned?][/spoiler]

[attachment deleted by admin]

squishy_ichigo

You can still log on and read posts, you just can't post.

gunnargumpert

oh, sorry i didn't know that. i just have seen, that you aren't even able to enter the hompage, if you are logged in.

this was totaly ne to me

Zhs2

If I were ever banned from somewhere, I wouldn't have liked to lose access to my unread posts and personal messages. I made sure to do the same for others so they can keep up on the news while they are banned! We're not entirely heartless, you know! Not to mention some of those bans may not last quite as long as you think!

Phazar

I guess in a way, MetConst's ban system is what makes us so unique compared to other forums.  Strange when you think about it, but it's the truth.

personitis

Strangely, this topic reminds me when I got banned at another site for 5 years for doing literally nothing... just signed in one day with a crap load of messages, or tried and it said I had been banned for ####days. So yea, I agree w/ Zhs2's idea of the ban system.

gunnargumpert

that idea is awsome. i don't just aggre, i love it

Zhs2

Quote from: person701Strangely, this topic reminds me when I got banned at another site for 5 years for doing literally nothing... just signed in one day with a crap load of messages, or tried and it said I had been banned for ####days.
Automatic bans on inactive accounts sound like a massive waste of processing time, not to mention a gratuitous use of 20 kilobytes of modification space that could be spent on much better things!

Hiroshi Mishima

I'm reminded of GSCentral's code database which, for the longest time since they'd "fixed it" would cause people to be randomly banned from viewing ANYTHING on the site because they clicked through stuff too fast. Keep in mind the "fixed" site would only display 10 codes at a time and some games had hundreds. So yeah.. hope you weren't in a rush or anything. Cause there were occasions where it took me 10 minutes to find a single code because I had to keep stopping and waiting every other page.

Or when I got banned for something trivial (like telling someone to stop harrassing me) and not only could I not check my messages for a month, I lost my moderatorship. I was not a mod in that forum and had no authority, and the admin over there was a sanctimonious prick who needed serious surgery to remove the broom handle from their ass.

I agree that being able to let people read (but not post) is a nice way to get someone to stop posting without cutting them off from their communication with people via PMs and such.