News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM][ASM] A Few Technical Questions

Started by xisdense, July 11, 2024, 08:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xisdense

I've got some questions that I have been going crazy trying to find some answers to. At this point I'm just going to ask here in one question dump topic. Hopefully this is okay, would be really nice to have some help with this stuff. Some of it might not be worth the headache.

1. How to create/spawn custom enemy projectiles? Is there any detailed documentation for enemy projectiles? I've found some stuff, but I'm still not fully getting it or having any success utilizing much of it. Sprite objects for effects are nicely explained in a few places and I get the idea for those.
2. Is it possible to spawn in enemies that weren't placed when the room was loaded? I mean, enemies that aren't part of the enemy set. Is this a pointless endeavor?
3. Extended tilemap format? How is it used? How do I draw an enemy as big as Kraid or Motherbrain? How do I have multiple moving parts of the same enemy without it being separate enemies? Is there more detailed documentation on it? (Besides https://patrickjohnston.org/ASM/Lists/Super%20Metroid/Enemy%20RAM.asm -- Or is this all I need to know and I just haven't wrapped my head around it yet?). It definitely seems complicated and I see there's some enemy-specific stuff happening, like clearing rows of tiles for when Kraid dies, etc.

Actually, these are the more frustrating questions in my list at the moment. The others I'm not posting I think I can figure out with some more studying. The main thing I want to know more about is the enemy projectiles and extended tilemaps. I'm working on a custom miniboss and its projectiles are enemies that I have placed in the enemy set, each set to invisible/non-responsive and to respawn. When the enemy shoots, it just activates and positions all these enemies. It's definitely not a good way to go about it  :blush:

Any amount of help or additional information on any of this stuff would be invaluable and SUPER appreciated! Thanks!

OmegaDragnet9

I'd like to know more of those things myself.
Are you in the metconst discord server?

xisdense

Quote from: OmegaDragnet9 on July 11, 2024, 08:54:28 PM
Are you in the metconst discord server?
I am, but so far the only thing I've used it for has been to request an account activation email :lol: Discord scares me :pale:

Edit:
I face fear.

H A M

I fear Discord for a different reason: spambots.