News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

gossamer

Started by neen, January 07, 2024, 02:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neen

[title subject to change]

focus is mainly on visual effects and having different routing options, difficulty is not as punishing or reliant on glitches as my previous hack, but there are definitely some sequence "break" options for you if you like glitches and advanced techniques. hopefully done..... within a few months from now. all areas exist but in varying levels of polish/detail. ending sequence is not complete yet.

RT-55J

daaaaang this is looking spicy fresh. lookin' forward to it

Steel Sparkle

Nice to see a new hack in the works. Good luck! It looks nice so far.

neen

thank you both. if you want to watch me work on this, you can do so here, but schedule is very erratic: https://www.twitch.tv/n__een_n

TobiMikami

This looks interesting.  Keep up the good work

Metaquarius

This looks like absolute garbage atm
But keep experimenting and you will end up with some nice visuals and ideas i am sure
Only keep the best of it! (like that map station for exemple)

OmegaDragnet9

I like the Eris/V I T A L I T Y layer blending stuff you got going on. I'm getting a lot of serious Dman vibes from it.

TobiMikami

I second that one, definitely getting classic MetConst vibes from this

Mentlegen

You're going to want to work a bit more on the color blending/color scaling. this is a difficult skill, but is very valuable to learn. Your tileset mixing shows signs of development. Keep going and improving. You're on the right track.

RT-55J

I like the super deep-fried layer blending myself. I'm excited to see a hack that leans really deeply into it.

DonnyDonovan

What are the songs in the trailer video?  I like them.

neen

songs are "dead are alone" and "ghost dance" by a band called Touchers, from the album "pretty baby". really good surf grunge garage rock kinda band from montana. (rest in peace Ben)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E60IMr9wFuk&list=OLAK5uy_kbCwPl8DKRN14GxhVrBMSX1atJRYnoOEk&index=12

thanks for the kind words and advice everyone, i'm taking notes. but, the abstract painting psychedelic rooms definitely already look how i want them to for the most part

DonnyDonovan

Thanks!  Interesting album, 26 tracks but they average around 2 minutes each.  I like their sound.  They were fun live I bet (I say "were" because it sounds like one of the members has sadly passed?)

Edit: Don't mean to turn this into a music discussion thread.  I'll be paying attention to the hack development as well.  :)

neen

yes, the band broke up in 2007 when ben died. you can find a couple live shows on youtube

TobiMikami

Their music is surprisingly aight, I'll be damned

WillowPunch

I don't know how but you managed to make the first screenshot look worse than Clocktoberfest Samus skin, truly amazing.

neen

thanks, glad you like it :grin:

RT-55J

my opinion on this hack's aesthetic is that everything looks like what its meant to look like

Kirarin

Looking great so far! Eager to playing this when it's done. Keep up the good work!

Kirarin

Terrific hack, very happy to have played it. I liked how you started with the areas "normal", but they started getting darker and/or weirder, quite unorthodox as you progressed. So far, I stand for with my tip regarding sounding. The music choices (or lack of them) as the game progressed were great. I think some different sfx and effects could be added for bosses if you want.

Alright, I have some questions if you can bump me in the right direction for 100 % (no need to spoil it outright, I want to work on my own too haha)

[spoiler]There's a grey door in slumberland with some grey enemies and a hidden PB. Do I open that one from a different room? Killing everything there didn't seem to trigger it.

I saw another grey door before entering Voiddragon, left of the save point. I assume that's related to the puzzle in the red area two doors (?) left of it. That one kept me guessing. There's two jumpy enemies, bugs coming from the hole. I can't quite attract the bug so I can clip over the crumble blocks (or can I?) to leave the red room. I also have no idea if the jumpy enemies are important for the puzzle. I assume getting a spikesuit might help, because there's room to store a shinespark the room before, and lots of spikes in that room? I'll have to think better about this room.

Lastly, there's a grey door in Voiddragon, right before I go down and left to fight Ridley. I assume that's related to 100%. If not, what is it? EDIT: Found the solution. Sneaky sneaky. Loved the surprise! [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I ended up with 95 missiles, 20 supers, 15 PBs, 6 etanks, 1 reserve, all beams expect Plasma, Grav, Morph, Bombs, Spring Ball, Screw and all 3 boots. EDIT: Further exploring, a got two extra reserves and something else. Guess I'm missing one reserve and maybe PB and 1 Missile Pack?[/spoiler]

UDtheAesir

Managed to get 2 etanks, 80 missiles, 5 supers, 10 PBs, wave, spazer, hi-jump, speed and 1 reserve. Not sure where to go, been poking around here and there and found this room with 6 gadoras facing each other, not sure what to do about that one. Any hints?

RT-55J

Regarding progression:

[spoiler]Find a way into lower Mladicia. The boss can wait until you're ready, but explore nonetheless.[/spoiler]

Also regarding progression (less important):

[spoiler]It sounds like you forgot a major in the ship.[/spoiler]

Regarding the gadora room:

[spoiler]It's a riddle. You are given a hint.[/spoiler]

UDtheAesir

Quote from: RT-55J on March 03, 2024, 07:37:38 PM
Regarding progression:

[spoiler]Find a way into lower Mladicia. The boss can wait until you're ready, but explore nonetheless.[/spoiler]

Also regarding progression (less important):

[spoiler]It sounds like you forgot a major in the ship.[/spoiler]

Regarding the gadora room:

[spoiler]It's a riddle. You are given a hint.[/spoiler]

Nice, thanks. Just beat Phantoon, if I didn't accidentally fire a Super, I'd be in better shape but I did it.

UDtheAesir

Progressed a little bit more. Managed to get Charge and Space Jump, killed Botwoon and Draygon. Where to next?

[spoiler]Going by the hint on the map regarding the gadora room, I'm convinced I gotta do a Crystal Flash. Problem is I got 10 PBs and IIRC I'd need at least 11 to make it happen, been looking around for another PB pack but no such luck, even in the red-green rooms in lower Mladicia.[/spoiler]