News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Project Base 0.8+ Randomizer

Started by Quote58, September 17, 2023, 05:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote58

Hi all,

Today I'm finally ready to release the first version of the randomizer for Project Base 0.8+!

Unfortunately the files are too large for attaching to this post, so you'll have to download them from the releases page of my github: https://github.com/Quote58/Project-Base-0.8-Randomizer/releases/tag/v1.0.0

I also have the code completely available to view, so feel free to take a look at how any of it works!
https://github.com/Quote58/Project-Base-0.8-Randomizer

If you want to use this on linux, you'll need to install the latest version of wxWidgets on your particular distro, and then compile the code from the github. It should work with little to no issue, but you do need to compile it for your specific distro.

Features:

• Area Palette shuffling
  • Suit Palette shuffling
  • Font Gfx shuffling
  • Hud Number shuffling
  • Mystery Item gfx mode
  • Pause menu options defaults
  • Skip Ceres
  • Major/Minor mode
  • Technique settings
  • Energy requirement settings
  • Gravity heat split
  • Log viewer
  • Log output
  • Difficulty presets

Future Features:

• Missile requirement settings
  • Vanilla map mode
  • Party Rando
  • More Palette options

Things to note:

• 'Party rando' and the missile numbers do not function currently. They are future features that are in development
  • Some of the text and number gfx randomizing options can be pretty hard to read, so only use them if you're trying to make things harder for fun or if you don't really need to read them to know what's going on
  • Controls button does not do anything yet

Credit:

• Dessy - creator of the Super Metroid randomizer from which the previous Project Base randomizer versions were based
  • Gala - creator of the previous Project Base randomizer versions, from which most of the current location logic is based
  • Bob and Kaz - help troubleshooting ideas and code for randomization
  • Creators of the following hacks for the samus suit palettes - Phazon Hack, Hallowseve, Final Stand, Hangtime, Lost World, Vanilla++, Hyper Metroid, Ice Metal
  • Bob - all of the new fonts used for font randomization
  • Grime - creator of Project Base and also creator of the 'Project Base Extended' suit palettes
  • Everyone that has tested seeds as well as the program itself

More pictures:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Quote58

Big Update Coming Soon!

In the current version of the randomizer, palette shuffling allows you to change what palette is used for what tileset (with curation to ensure there aren't too many that look bad). However for the next update, the randomizer is getting a full fledged palette randomizer. One of a new design that I believe produces much better palettes than any palette randomizer available currently. Here are just a few examples of the new palette rando in action:

Coming soon to a randomizer near you!

Vanilla mode:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Project Base mode:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Quote58

Big update time!

This update brings a real palette randomizer for the tilesets! It doesn't use hue shifting, instead using a new system I built for creating more interesting and cohesive palettes.
It also brings an FX randomizer option, which randomizes the FX1 for each room that uses it, so you might get rain in norfair, or fog in brinstar, or lava instead of water, water instead of acid, etc.
Lastly, it brings a new mode, 'Flood mode'. This mode has a random chance for every room that uses FX1, to flood the room to a random point, with water. Because of PB water physics, you should still be able to complete the seed despite the random water.

https://github.com/Quote58/Project-Base-0.8-Randomizer/releases/tag/V2.0.0

johnnyutah22

I downloaded the Mac version but it has no file extension. No matter what I try I can't install it. Ive tried adding .dmg, .app, .zip, etc. It says it is corrupted or incorrect format.

Quote58

Hi!
Sorry for not seeing this until now. The mac version does not need to be installed, you just run it. Either by double clicking, or by opening the terminal, finding the program, and typing ./program_name and hitting enter.
Hopefully that works, but if not please let me know!

johnnyutah22

Nether of those options work for me, I'm on a M2 Macbbok Air 2023. Was this meant for the Intel version? When I try to open it asks for which program to open it with. It natively sees it as a document.

**Edited to add** after getting help from someone smarter than me, you can run it from terminal after adding chmod command, or by selecting "open with" then terminal after toggling filter to show all applications.