News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Trying to Change Status Screen and More

Started by MoeChicken, January 11, 2023, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoeChicken

Hello! I'm new here, and new to rom hacking in general, so forgive my ignorance! I recently finished my first sprite set for Samus, and thanks to SpriteSomething I have successfully added it to a rom. Now I want more. My ultimate goal is to replace all of the references to Samus with art reflecting the modded sprite character. Off the top of my head, that would be the following:

• Status Screen picture (and title)
  • Ending credits sequence
  • Opening sequence backgrounds
  • Customizing the title screen
Now I know how to make the actual artwork, and I can use the resources on Spriters' Resource for reference. But I don't know what tools or techniques will allow me to inject these graphics into the actual game. So I ask you, dear forum viewer, to please advise me of where to start. I was recommended SMILE and SMART, but those seem to be map editors. And I saw that there are a ton of resources available on this site, but I don't know what most of them do (again, new to this; apologies!).
So if anyone can point me of how to start, or if anyone's willing to help, please let me know! Thanks!
~MC

TobiMikami

I took my ROM hack to a full fledged fan game in GM by 2015, it's been a minute, I don't remember every little step, but I can give you some solid advice.
1. What tool do i need? You'll need Tile Layer Pro, I've also heard yy-char works, but I always used TLP.
2. What do I do with TLP? Well unlike tilesets you can export from the game, along with the palettes, all the enemy graphics and title screen stuff is in the actual ROM. You need to open your ROM in  TLP, set your palette and then find and organize all the tiles. It's a pain in the ass. Here's a video of my hack from 2014, SM The Doors, which was the precursor to The Tallon IV Project, as you can see from the videos, it was heavily Prime based. I chose this one because you can see I replaced the Nintendo with the band The Doors logo, I lm still actually really happy with that, i outdid myself back then.
https://youtu.be/i5MU_U4SUSw
I chose this one actually as it shows that logo but also the last update I did which was a reprise of I believe a Geemer or the crab enemy, and replaced it with Ghoma from Zelda 1, and then changed the Spazer beam itself to the beam from the magic wand, and the icon to the Magic Book from Z1. Those are all stuff that's in the actual ROM you gotta edit within TLP. As you can see I've done it before, just moved onto bigger and more powerful projects with more freedom for creativity.
As far as text not editable by SMILE, I'd suggest asking CrashTour, or one of the other guys whose worked with the mo r recent text generating hack. I know CrashTour was the original one to get messages to read out, I'm sure one of the SM vets have an answer for you. OF COURRSSE you could always start making a fan game with one of the several great GM engines and be able to import anything from Spriters resource. Try opening the ROM and doing the edits, you'll find out which you'd prefer haha. Also I believe with enemies you have to export their palette in the enemy editor. Best of luck bro, and never give up!

MoeChicken

Thank you for the advice! It doesn't sound like this will be an EASY process, but I shouldn't have expected that, I suppose! I'll start with Tile Layer and see how it goes.

TobiMikami

I would consider it an intermediate level skill, it's more tedious than anything, ESPECIALLY Samus and large enemies like bosses and stuff, check YouTube I'm sure there's at least a few basic videos out there!

H A M