What options do you guys like? Upgrade ideas SM limitations can't handle?

Started by TobiMikami, December 10, 2022, 04:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TobiMikami

Got a few straw poll questions for ya, your responses will help give me an idea of things you'd like to see (or not) as far as gameplay options go, for example, Shinespark auto activates, some don't like that, some do, I was thinking of making a global key for a run button like SM, since I'd need it when I write the boost ball next, and that way you can change in the menu if you want auto speedboost or run. Difficulty options obviously, and the option to opt in or out of the Prime style hint system. Are there any other options you guys can think of you'd like to see in a game?

Also, if you have any ideas for items but maybe can't implement them because of SNES limits, I'm about to write for boost ball now that I cracked the enigma of Doc's map engine. After that, besides finishing grapple, if I can and don't end up abandoning it because it's such a late item in a game that has Tracks only spiderball, but late game high jump plus wall jumps and possibility to IBJ even, so I don't think it'd be the end of the world if it was omitted, but I'd like to get it to work right.
I've got a script for "homing properties" I showed it off with my missiles, I'm gonna give this to the Ice Spreader as well, and thinking about how to write for that since I read Prime dit it by drawing triangles and my trigonometry senses started tingling, so hopefully my ice spreader will spread ice soon. For that reason, I'm not really interested in pursuing ice missiles, since that's like the same thing lol. All 4 combos are in now including the mighty wavebuster, and thermonuclear phazon fission power bombs.

If everyone is happy with the engine as is (Every weapon and suit and visor from MP1, every item from SM, I'm working on including reserve tanks even, with the Spazer beam being ysed as the eventual phazon beam, partly, i want to use its split powers with rapid fire.) I thought about giving the Phazon Beam a combo, having it be used in Phazon pools in the mines to destroy stuff maybe, and possibly possibly  even a PeD style upgrade In my dev notes as "phazon reserve" that would let you vent a reserve tank to fire phazon with the energy bar and numbers turning dark blue maybe, running down with the original under like the gray. Idk if y'all like that idea. Otherwise it'll mainly be level designs and enemy bosses here on out, engine will be built and future versions will be touch ups, I'll drop the 8.1 engine, but withholding this one until the game is done. I'll also compile Doc's map maker, it prints code for his engine, but it is a real time map builder that you could play around with outside of SMILE or your main development tool, screenshot your maps and share them, etc.
Once the engine becomes a completed resource, I'll launch the official thread for Prime 2D: The Tallon IV Project where I'll actually start to reveal some details about the game itself and all of the updates will be related to the game itself.

Thanks everyone for your continued feedback and support since 2014 (And before I was a registered member, back in '12-13) This project of this caliber wouldn't be happening if not for this community, the few years I spent hacking before I went up to the big leagues to fulfill my artistic desires, and especially the way we all share resources, from art to code, like passing on what we learned to the next generation of hackers and game designers. It's a beautiful thing. Grateful to be a part of it.