News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid: Cryogenesis

Started by Onnyks, January 07, 2022, 11:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnyDonovan

Thanks.  I'm going to go back to my last save and continue to explore then, because I think I might be missing a fair bit of content.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: DonnyDonovan on January 15, 2022, 02:36:38 PM
Thanks.  I'm going to go back to my last save and continue to explore then, because I think I might be missing a fair bit of content.
please note the totals in the video are still from test room in Smile and don't reflect the actual game's

Tower

So i get morph ball and missile and im stuck. Can someone hint me where to go?

DonnyDonovan

There's a very large room you should be able to get to in the westernmost part of the map.  Just outside that room in the hallways leading to it --

[spoiler]there's a hinted at spot where you can roll into a ball and fall down a shaft. Your next acquisition is there[/spoiler]

Onnyks

Quote from: Tower on January 17, 2022, 06:26:50 AM
So i get morph ball and missile and im stuck. Can someone hint me where to go?

If you haven't been able to get out of snowy areas, you might have to dig your way out.

If you've gotten to the next area then the above advice is pretty good. It's more of a tall room than a large room overall though I'd say.

sbelmont85

Fantastic Hack, I'll hold off to rate it until it's finished, but 5 stars for whats there so far.

Great Job, thanks Onnyks for all your hard work.  The use of foreground and background was really fun to solve and explore and the these types of puzzles were good to keep things interesting and a challenge without being too difficult. I especially liked the available routes I could take, not sure if this was the intended route or a by design optional route, [spoiler]but after I got bombs, I was able to ibj and get gravity almost immediately after, before supers, with one gate glitch[/spoiler]...which was dumb luck because I had no clue where I was going next, but that made exploring more fun.  I never found plasma, varia suit, or speed boots, guessing they will be in the Gaflun area once completed.  Good job on the detail to hide items, yet give the player enough of a clue to hunt for the hidden paths.  I especially liked the new mechanics, the speed boost elevated shafts, the void engine room, and the new weapon were all awesome.  Hoping to see a more fleshed out end run.

I'd also recommend considering adding in project base, menu and game play mechanics as I've found them more enjoyable to play over the classic mechanics.

completed in 5:44 with 90.2% items collected.

Look forward to a complete hack.

LetsPlayNintendoITA

Quote from: sbelmont85 on January 17, 2022, 02:58:28 PM
Fantastic Hack, I'll hold off to rate it until it's finished, but 5 stars for whats there so far.

Great Job, thanks Onnyks for all your hard work.  The use of foreground and background was really fun to solve and explore and the these types of puzzles were good to keep things interesting and a challenge without being too difficult. I especially liked Not sure if this was the intended route or a by design optional route, but after I got bombs, I was able to ibj and get gravity almost immediately after, before supers, with one gate glitch...which was dumb luck because I had no clue where I was going next, but that made exploring more fun.  I never found plasma, varia suit, or speed boots, guessing they will be in the gaflun area once completed.  Good job on the detail to hide items, yet give the player enough of a clue to hunt for the hidden paths.  I especially liked the new mechanics, the speed boost elevated shafts, the void engine room, and the new weapon were all awesome.  Hoping to see a more fleshed out end run.

I'd also recommend considering adding in project base, menu and game play mechanics as I've found them more enjoyable to play over the classic mechanics.

completed in 5:44 with 90.2% items collected.

Look forward to a complete hack.
adding mechanics from pb means checking glitches and such all over again that might happen. one glitch already appeared as i was testing the new mechanic. [spoiler]if speedbooster gets enabled (or added) to the hack after getting the new item and using it on speedbooster blocks in the room where the new item is, samus goes out of bounds forever.[/spoiler]

sbelmont85

Quote from: LetsPlayNintendoITA on January 17, 2022, 04:04:08 PM

adding mechanics from pb means checking glitches and such all over again that might happen. one glitch already appeared as i was testing the new mechanic. [spoiler]if speedbooster gets enabled (or added) to the hack after getting the new item and using it on speedbooster blocks in the room where the new item is, samus goes out of bounds forever.[/spoiler]
[/quote]

I found another possible feature or glitch depending if it was by design or not without speedbooster, [spoiler]having the new weapon i was able to break speed blocks horizontally next to me by entering the maneuver and quickly holding left or right.

I also liked that there were a few places that allowed for gate glitches and enabled more route options for a challenge.[/spoiler]

Onnyks

The original design of rooms did not intend for the new item to allow [spoiler]any sideways motion[/spoiler] because I didn't know it could do that when I first chose it but there should be no issue using it that way. If that feels like sequence breaking to you then all the better.

but after I got bombs, I was able to ibj and ...

I also didn't try to forbid any IBJ or gate glitching, and let the player get as lost as they wanted. I've seen it played a few times and nobody's backtrack as far as you did though lol.

sbelmont85

Quote from: Onnyks on January 17, 2022, 05:33:01 PM
The original design of rooms did not intend for the new item to allow [spoiler]any sideways motion[/spoiler] because I didn't know it could do that when I first chose it but there should be no issue using it that way. If that feels like sequence breaking to you then all the better.

but after I got bombs, I was able to ibj and ...

I also didn't try to forbid any IBJ or gate glitching, and let the player get as lost as they wanted. I've seen it played a few times and nobody's backtrack as far as you did though lol.

Yeah, that's how I usually play, as soon as I get bombs, I start thinking where are the most unlikely places that I can get to with ibj that it wasn't intended.  I only recently learned how to do the gate glitch, so that's a nice tool for me to explore in different ways across all the super metroid hacks.

feenix_n

I was having issues trying to use Meteorite ( ↓ + L ). After waiting 5-10 minutes, I was able to use it. For those having issues, wait about 5+ minutes and try it.

Tower

i have found bunch of wrong blocks
on first picture there is an problem with block being in front of samus
on second there was problem but now i cant see it
and on third there is scrolling problem i got up and scroll doesnt work
Also there was a moment when i jump really fast from the ship and managed to break scrolling on this pseudo secret area where are rocket doors.

In general very good hack when can we see gaflun dlc?

Sickwood

Quote from: Tower on January 24, 2022, 05:33:42 AM
i have found bunch of wrong blocks
on first picture there is an problem with block being in front of samus
on second there was problem but now i cant see it
and on third there is scrolling problem i got up and scroll doesnt work
Also there was a moment when i jump really fast from the ship and managed to break scrolling on this pseudo secret area where are rocket doors.

In general very good hack when can we see gaflun dlc?

Your third pic isn't a scroll problem, but rather a very clever bait scenario and you might want to look around more

Onnyks

No I did mean for there to be a scroll, it's not supposed to be clever. Thanks for finding these, and Gaflun will be a few months at least, sorry for the tease  :heheh:

Sickwood

Quote from: Onnyks on January 24, 2022, 01:50:39 PM
No I did mean for there to be a scroll, it's not supposed to be clever. Thanks for finding these, and Gaflun will be a few months at least, sorry for the tease  :heheh:

Interesting. Dman had pointed out that room's scroll situation during his playthrough on the thread you were responding to and you didn't say anything (must not have seen it) so I just assumed it was intentional.

Onnyks

I get informed about that from almost everybody who plays through lol. If I hadn't changed so many other things already I'd go back and update for it.

Dav

Playing and loving it, didn't finished yet, I just wanted to report a little bug --

Samus can get stuck in this spot:

Onnyks

Thanks for the heads up, simple little unnoticed tile flip and suddenly the floor is quicksand. Glad you like it  :grin:

H A M

Exister

Grapple is gotten by [spoiler]morph balling into a little hole in the upper left of the second area,[/spoiler] kinda hard to find like [spoiler]the snow under ship.[/spoiler] The secrets get better the more you play though
(Cause Onnyks gets better at designing them lol)

H A M

i grappled randomly and i glitched the spring ball room

Onnyks

There are no grapple targets in the spring ball room, so I'm interested to know what the glitch is.

H A M

i grappled an enemy and the room randomly glitched

H A M

in the next update, INCLUDE BARF KRAID

H A M

charge beam is misspelled as "Chrage Beam"