News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Fusion: Special Edition (Now with hard mode!)

Started by Lostglaceon, August 06, 2021, 12:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulinho

Quote from: hmsong on August 12, 2021, 12:59:10 AM
Could you "replace" some items?  For example, in the places where you can obtain early Power Bomb (ex: sector 2), you instead replace it with Missiles, and then put Power Bomb in the places where you got those missiles from -- that way, you can "sequence break" in obtaining extra items, but not break the story sequence.  You may also need to add some special "blockages" (ex: security doors, power bomb blocks, etc).  Basically, make it so that you can't story-sequence-break, but still obtain many many items (mostly missiles, energy tanks, and power bomb).

This may require some thinking though (and lots of testings).

Why would he do that? The whole point on sequence breaking is to change the order of important items/story

What would be amazing in a fusion hack would be have different story texts based on which sectors you start first, but i think thats not possible on a GBA hack rom.

Lostglaceon

Yes, it's that time again. Another minor patch! This time it's v3.2, and it includes that critical bug fix from the temporary patch, improved tiles for the item tanks, and some nice level tweaks that even allow you to get a few more items earlier than normally intended!

As always, enjoy!

Nikoshiba

Nice done !
Do you think I can play v3.2 with my v3.1.1 save ?

Lostglaceon

Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 21, 2021, 09:33:15 AMNice done !

No major changes that would require a save reset, so you should be able to!

Ridley12

Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 21, 2021, 09:33:15 AM
Nice done !
Probably not. I know with N64 ROM hacks (at the very least, with Paper Mario: Black Pit), each time there's a new patch, gotta start from scratch.

Lostglaceon

Quote from: Ridley12 on August 21, 2021, 09:59:25 AMProbably not. I know with N64 ROM hacks (at the very least, with Paper Mario: Black Pit), each time there's a new patch, gotta start from scratch.

As long as the emulator/device has a way to transfer the save, or the ROM has the same name, it should work for this hack. I've kept my same save files since testing v1.0, and they still work just fine!

Nikoshiba

Sayari

Hi, I really wanted to say that I love this rom hack, it's crazy how we can break the game and skip some events, really, this is the best Fusion hack !
I was wondering, did you plan adding Metroid Fusion Repalette in this hack ?

gr8tmaker

Hey Lostglaceon, found a bug/soflock for ya, in Sector 3, right after unlocking level 2 doors, i go to the Data Room (try), but, when i try opening the door of the Data Room it does not open nor the door from the other side of the room.

MetroidPlayer

I'm having the same issue as gr8tmaker, I can't do anything about other than resetting to my last save!

I'm using VBA-M 2.1.4, if that helps

Lostglaceon

Quote from: gr8tmaker on August 22, 2021, 08:30:03 AMHey Lostglaceon, found a bug/soflock for ya, in Sector 3, right after unlocking level 2 doors, i go to the Data Room (try), but, when i try opening the door of the Data Room it does not open nor the door from the other side of the room.
Quote from: MetroidPlayer on August 23, 2021, 01:02:22 AMI'm having the same issue as gr8tmaker, I can't do anything about other than resetting to my last save!

I'm using VBA-M 2.1.4, if that helps

Ah geez, I should've double checked. That blue door has the same number as the grey door, so it doesn't open! I'm working on the next major patch right now anyways, so I'll put it in there for y'all.

Also, I moved from VBA-M to mGBA, personally. Ran much better on my desktop!

Nikoshiba

https://www.casimages.com/i/210823110437160021.jpg.html

https://www.casimages.com/i/210823110646292105.jpg.html

https://www.casimages.com/i/210823110648231364.jpg.html

I play on real hardware (with an EZ-Flash) on v3.2 and I'm stuck there. None of the 2 doors wants to open...

Lostglaceon

Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 23, 2021, 04:52:08 PM
https://www.casimages.com/i/210823110437160021.jpg.html

https://www.casimages.com/i/210823110646292105.jpg.html

https://www.casimages.com/i/210823110648231364.jpg.html

I play on real hardware (with an EZ-Flash) on v3.2 and I'm stuck there. None of the 2 doors wants to open...

As mentioned above, I fixed that in the next patch I'm working on. Should be done today, just adding the last finishing touches!

Nikoshiba

Nice job !
I was not sure it was the same problem.
Thanks for all your hard work !

Lostglaceon

PHEW! v4.0 is done and uploaded (after a long few days). and it's definitely the biggest change so far! I won't go into much detail on it since it'll all shown/told through the first forum post now, but I hope you all enjoy this build! Will probably be sticking with it for a little while (outside of fixing bugs, of course).

Edit: I'm sorry, going to take it down to fix something.

Edit 2: It's back up now, sorry again.

Nikoshiba

When I read this, I know that I'm a poor player ^^

Quote from: Lostglaceon on August 06, 2021, 12:27:34 AMSuper Missiles obtainable without Speed Booster or Lv. 2 access.

Here I am again with my poor questions :
- Is it possible to "infinite" bomb jumping like in Super Metroid ? I can't but I wonder if that's because it's impossible or because I can't find the timing...
- Same question with "Single Wall Jumping" ?

Again, thanks for this great work... Even if I can't find any Sequence Break for the moment ^^

Lostglaceon

Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 24, 2021, 04:41:53 AMHere I am again with my poor questions :
- Is it possible to "infinite" bomb jumping like in Super Metroid ? I can't but I wonder if that's because it's impossible or because I can find the timing...

Infinite bomb-jumping is possible here, yes. Timing's just really tough to master because of the bomb explosion timer and such! Single-wall jumping is much easier to do, but will still take a little practice if you aren't used to it.

Wish you luck in sequence-breaking the game!

Ridley12

Quote from: Lostglaceon on August 24, 2021, 04:47:28 AM
Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 24, 2021, 04:41:53 AMHere I am again with my poor questions :
- Is it possible to "infinite" bomb jumping like in Super Metroid ? I can't but I wonder if that's because it's impossible or because I can find the timing...

Infinite bomb-jumping is possible here, yes. Timing's just really tough to master because of the bomb explosion timer and such! Single-wall jumping is much easier to do, but will still take a little practice if you aren't used to it.

Wish you luck in sequence-breaking the game!
Yeah, both of them are really tough to pull off. I haven't tried single-wall jumping in Fusion (mainly because I struggle with regular wall jumping, lol), but I tried bomb jumping only once, and I couldn't get the timing down. Haven't tried it since. And I struggle with wall jumping in most 2D Metroid games.

Nikoshiba

Bomb Jump et Regular/Single Wall Jumpin' are the only advanced skills I "mastered" on Super Metroid but in Fusion, timing is tough...
By the way, I play this hack trying to find secret pathes and... in fact, my game is totally normal so far ^^

hmsong

Quote from: Paulinho on August 19, 2021, 04:04:40 AM
Quote from: hmsong on August 12, 2021, 12:59:10 AM
Could you "replace" some items?  For example, in the places where you can obtain early Power Bomb (ex: sector 2), you instead replace it with Missiles, and then put Power Bomb in the places where you got those missiles from -- that way, you can "sequence break" in obtaining extra items, but not break the story sequence.  You may also need to add some special "blockages" (ex: security doors, power bomb blocks, etc).  Basically, make it so that you can't story-sequence-break, but still obtain many many items (mostly missiles, energy tanks, and power bomb).

This may require some thinking though (and lots of testings).

Why would he do that? The whole point on sequence breaking is to change the order of important items/story

What would be amazing in a fusion hack would be have different story texts based on which sectors you start first, but i think thats not possible on a GBA hack rom.

I prefer it, because it allows "exploration" without the plot-breakage.  Unlike many Metroids, Fusion is heavily based on the story (which was why the devs prevented all the signature abilities, like wall jump and bomb jumps).  I'm saying that if things are made so that you can explore without breaking the plot, then it would give the satisfaction of exploration AND keep the spirit of the original Metroid Fusion.

Lostglaceon

Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 24, 2021, 11:59:25 AMBomb Jump et Regular/Single Wall Jumpin' are the only advanced skills I "mastered" on Super Metroid but in Fusion, timing is tough...
By the way, I play this hack trying to find secret pathes and... in fact, my game is totally normal so far ^^

I'll give you a hint: [spoiler]You need to learn single-wall-jumping, then you can get Power Bombs from Sector 2 that allow you to break into many areas earlier than intended![/spoiler]

Nikoshiba

Okay !
I'll give it a try "THERE" before heading to Sector 6.

Paulinho

Hello

I don't know if this error was corrected on version 4.0 because I'm playing 3.2
I got stuck on BOX room, right before super missiles data room. When i enter that room by the correct door I can't open the blue data room door or open the door to the left and get out.. if i came by the ceilling them the room is already destroyed

I've skip zazabi and after that I've got

Earlly Power Bombs
Plasma Beam
Speedbooster
Space Jump
Wide Beam
Varia Suit
Ice missiles

The only things that i miss are BOX battle 1 and 2, lv 4 red doors, diffusion missiles, gravity suit, wave beam and screw attack.
When i go into nav rooms it says target oblitaretes (something like thag)
I think it's impossible on that version, at least, to go through without beating BOX fight or dealing with zazabi.
-

EDIT: I've beaten zazabi, adam sends me to data room on sector 3 now but it still stuck, doors don't open

EDIT 2: now i've seen that this bug was corrected on patch v4.0 I'll check it

Nikoshiba

Quote from: Lostglaceon on August 24, 2021, 06:08:00 PM
Quote from: Nikoshiba on August 24, 2021, 11:59:25 AMBomb Jump et Regular/Single Wall Jumpin' are the only advanced skills I "mastered" on Super Metroid but in Fusion, timing is tough...

I'll give you a hint: [spoiler]You need to learn single-wall-jumping, then you can get Power Bombs from Sector 2 that allow you to break into many areas earlier than intended![/spoiler]

I can say that I made some progress in single-wall-jumping and I was able to sequence break Fusion ! Yeepeee !
I obtained Early Power Bombs and Plasma Beam for now but a new path to the reactor is open. it's really fun to explore the game that way !

gr8tmaker

Hey lostglaceon, would you ever make a rando version like MFOR, ot will it stay like this, its cool either way, but i was just wondering