News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Ancient, Incomplete Hack: "Metroid Challenge"

Started by RT-55J, May 16, 2020, 08:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT-55J

I found this ancient hack sitting on my computer, that apparently isn't on our site or RHDN. It's called "Metroid Challenge" (or just Metroid C, according to the title screen). It's from around 2002. According to the readme it was made by some fellow named Quasis, who was part of the old website "Challenge Games" (the same Challenge Games that produced Zelda Outlands) --- if you remember that site: Congratulations on being a boomer!

Here's the hack's page on the Wayback Machine.

The author claims it was 87% complete, which I guess just means he just never got around to making Tourian, though looking at it in Editroid it looks like Tourian is still accessible, so the hack is beatable (not that I would suggest doing that (from what I've played, it's the stupid variety of hard)).

Passwords don't work, according to the readme. Fortunately, two maps are included.

Also, just so you know, the name of my joke hack of RoS, Metroid II: Challenge, was a direct reference to this hack (and really the entire website behind it). However, now that I realized that this hack was unpreserved, I can understand why nobody laughed.

Tower

is it possible to play it with other modifications like ice+wave or saves?

RT-55J

Probably, but you'd have to modify the game yourself. I don't think this hack did any ASM work, so there shouldn't be any major conflicts there.

A complete version of this hack would be an interesting project for someone to take upon themselves.

DonnyDonovan

I think my brother in law had this on his modded 1st gen X-Box and I played it for about an hour in like 2005.  As I recall the experience was...unpleasant.  But yeah, this might be a very cool project to take on for someone properly motivated, which sure as heck ain't me.