XGA - a Metroid Fusion based fangame I'm working on

Started by Dinar, October 25, 2019, 02:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinar

Hey all, I've been working on this fan game of mine that's based of the metroid series, mainly metroid fusion in particular. I've always loved that game and its sense of horror and atmosphere, and I really want to create something like it myself but with new scenarios using the same formula.

I've been working on this game for over 3 years now, and while sometimes I get a bit depressed about whether I'll ever finish it (since I've only made a one pathway/trip's worth of content for the main sector, and sectors 1 and 2), ultimately I'm proud of what I've accomplished when I've had basically very little help and places like game maker discord have directly told me they won't help me anymore, because things like bullet collisions where the beams bounce off walls are "too complicated...have you considered hiring someone to help you?". In the end I just eventually did it myself.

Bouncing bullets
https://twitter.com/Dinar8777/status/1144160419512291328

(Also if anyone knows how to link screenshots that aren't pngs that'd be great thanks, since metconst doesn't seem to like me attaching my current png screenshots here)

This is XGA. It's going to hunt you throughout the game and you cannot fight back against it in anyway. In this gif, I was testing out it's pathfinding code, but in the final game if it finds you then that's it, game over man.

Dinar

I don't know if anyone even cares anymore, but I'll try uploading more screenshots of something...

Title screen

An area of Sector 2

? ? ?

Currently I'm just going through my areas, sector 1 and 2 currently, and adding a few setpieces and memorable landmarks to them to make the actual exploration of them much more fun!

Multi-Man

I am actually really hyped to see the finished product of this game. It looks so cool!

Dinar

Quote from: Multi-Man on November 01, 2019, 07:39:32 AM
I am actually really hyped to see the finished product of this game. It looks so cool!

Thank you =) Though I'm afraid it might take a very long time to finish, especially with all the irl issues I'm going through at the moment personally, but I'm very happy you like it!!

Dinar

I've spent literally the whole day working on this now, but I hope that drill boss's (the nano plated arachnorb is what it's called) foreshadowing looks a lot better now!! Since the cave walls that get drilled no longer stick out like a sore thumb anymore!!

Zumokufu

I really really really really want this game in my life!

Dinar

Quote from: Zumokufu on November 06, 2019, 06:13:04 PM
I really really really really want this game in my life!

Thanks =) it feels great to know you and others genuinely care about this project of mine.

I've been worrying for ages that my game isn't original enough, but it's a constant battle to remind myself why I even started making my game in the first place- to play a new metroid fusion but with new levels, bosses, upgrades, etc...and I think you all feel the same way?

In fact the only reason why there's "blue samus" and the game's free is because I don't want what happened to AM2R to happen to my game.

altoiddealer

I, too, very much like what I am seeing here :)

Keep up the good work!

Dinar

I've done this today. It's a version of my game's sector 2 area where everything is dead and nearly all the enemies are gone too. But the ones that remain would change the way you approach the level, since previously going through sector 2, you'd of used the venis flytrap enemies to platform over the exploding mine enemies.

dewhi100

I like the way you presented the mine enemy (even just as a reminder since they've met it earlier), then the dead platforms, then combined them. And the combined challenge even has two escalating stages. Good design.

Dinar

Quote from: dewhi100 on November 16, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
I like the way you presented the mine enemy (even just as a reminder since they've met it earlier), then the dead platforms, then combined them. And the combined challenge even has two escalating stages. Good design.

Thanks! Though to be honest...these are only two of 3 instances for the whole game where this is used...I'll eventually add more though so don't worry =)

Also I've done this recently too!

Dinar

https://twitter.com/Dinar8777/status/1196698190315229184

I'll be taking a break for a bit until I feel better and actually want to play metroid games again.

Dinar

I'm still on a break but I tried working on my game two days ago...no luck. I feel very confused working on it and it feels bad in general...I think it's burnout tbh. I'm going on a month's break as it's all I can do at this point I think.

https://twitter.com/Dinar8777/status/1200699404820328449

Dinar

Also I don't think I posted this yet, but someone's played my game's demo btw!!!

It's quite old and I've fixed a ton of issues with this version (such as getting stuck in the floor during room transitions, water being hard to see through when underwater, etc...) and after this month's break is over I'll be back on the game...probably, unless I need a longer break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KPIJkdiLAo&feature=emb_logo

Dinar

I've made this for fun. It's a more original design for my doors in my game

Dinar

I've made a new intro section after one of my in-game cutscenes showing the birth of "something" in the background. This gif is showing what happens afterwards, when said creature breaks out of containment and destroys the place around you while you're unconscious. Eventually you wake up and you can start to explore.

Dinar

I've made my game's frame rates higher generally for the most part thanks to me replacing all those water and lava objects with heavy fps usage shaders, and instead with animated tiles and water region objects that are much better performance wise.

Now my game runs at 500-700 frames per second (in the gamemaker debugger at least) as opposed to 100-200 during these water sections!!!

Dinar

I'm currently trying to make a brand new boss battle!! Here's what it looks like so far =)

Standing

Rolling

Any thoughts?

Dinar

I've redone my boss's shading and legs so it's just better in general. Here's the result.

He'll still roll into you to attack you, and I'm also going to make it so that you can only hurt him when he's about to shoot fire or something at you, otherwise his thick shell makes him immune to your attacks. This should make the boss more interesting than just spamming bullets to win I think.

Dinar

I've added some more animations to that KingStalker boss.

Also I've begun work on sector 3 now