News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

Fuck you, Parabox. I've watched that video at least six times since I looked at this topic. Seriously, fuck you.

E: Make that motherfucking seven

Hiroshi Mishima

Oh gods, I lol'd so hard watching that video.

...but this thread needs more of Hiroshi Ranting™ to make you all realize how much happier you are. :D

So about a month or so ago I got this text message (I don't even use it, why do people insist on sending me shit) and it turns out that my cell phone will shortly develop a problem with it's texting ability (which I don't use, anyways) and I'm going to want to bring it in and have it upgraded. I laugh, delete the message, and go on with my life as normal.

A couple days ago, my grandmother calls me up and tells me she got a letter from the company we go through for our cell phone service saying that I had to bring my phone in to be upgraded cause there was something wrong with it (they conveniently didn't tell her the details) and that we gotta bring my phone in. She says they'll be able to transfer my stuff to the new phone. I sigh, say "sure, whatever" and then go back to what I was doing.

I go in today with my family to get this new phone (that I just had to have, right?) "upgrade". Turns out that the new big thing since I got this phone about 5 years ago is texting, sliding, and touch screens. Oh boy, I always wanted grimy fingerprints all over my screen! I can't wait to text everyone about it! Oh, wait, no, I don't text people cause that's stupid. I have a fucking cell phone, if I wanted to talk to someone.. I WOULD CALL THEM UP. So I'm looking at the available phones and I notice the ones like I had, which you flip open, are getting rather small since I don't have the hands of a 10 year old, that's probably not something I'm going to want. Looking around some more, I notice how others are open faced or rely on the touch screen for everything... but finally I find a nice looking flip-open phone that had a keyboard/phone-pad that was actually fairly well spaced and even looked nice. It was called the Pantech Impact, or something like that. My old phone was a Samsung with no actual subtitle because we weren't using them yet, or something.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't carry that kind anymore." THEN WHY THE FUCK IS IT ON DISPLAY?! Obviously I didn't actually say that to the guy, but gods did I wanna scream that to the world. So I go back and the only thing close enough to what I liked was the Pantech Laser (which was also conveniently more expensive, but it was free so whatever). It's a slide-open (groan) model but the keyboard is about as well spaced as the other one was and the screen was big enough that I could make out what the hell was on it. Unfortunately, it's also a touch screen, so no practical arrow keys or anything. I also was told that the games I purchased some time back aren't transferable, so hey, that's just awesome. Thanks so much for costing me more money by telling me that my phone which was perfectly fine was no longer considering hip or cool and I had to upgrade to these new pieces of crap.

You know what, guys? Why don't you just stick a phone application in my DS, it'd be just like the phones now. You know, in that they do everything but make decent calls? I can't wait to see how poor my reception is in my house later on, I wonder if it's going to be better or worse than what I had before. Oh, and just for some more shits and giggles, cause we haven't had enough of them yet, my aunt asks them why my phone is listed as a number for one of the cities beside us (Escondido, while we live in Oceanside). Turns out they gave me an Escondido number instead of an Oceanside one, so if you a poor-person's land-line, like my aunt has cause her cell phones don't actually get reception in her house, it costs her like 4-5 cents everytime she calls either my cell phone or her son's which is one digit below mine. Yep, great job tech guys, giving someone a phone number for a city they don't even live in!

Oh, and my phone has a camera in it.. so it actually kinda already looks a bit like the DSi, I suppose. Glad you guys made sure to stick a camera in all the phones, cause I can't tell you how many times I've been out somewhere and just randomly snapped a dozen pics to txt to my friends and post on Twitter.

Oh well.. at least it works, and they're not complaining about it being flawed anym- hey, wait a second! You guys said this thing has some games already on it, but when I tried to use them it told me I couldn't cause it has to access the gods-damned network to validate the licenses. :/ Gods-fucking-damn it. Can't I ever get something that fucking works right? Oh man, I just love my life. Sure am glad I gave up Megaman 2 and Castlevania for Pac-man Demo and Tetris Trial!

Digital_Mantra

Here's some pics of my more organized apartment:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Parabox

Wow, looks pretty liveable. Dunno if you like your bed that way or not though, but I don't really do.

Digital_Mantra

I just skinning and chopping up garlic and sliced a red onion into bits. Frying them in olive oil, and frying some chunks of lean beef in another pan till they're crispy as fuck.
Then I put all of it in a pot with some slices of cheese on the top, put a lid on, and let it cook.
Stirred it up, and ate it with soy sauce and one cherry tomato on the side.

I was listening to Miles Davis' 'autumn leaves' as I ate this lush concoction of cooked food.
The taste still lingers in my mouth, and on my breath. Even after the after meal cigarette.
Which I smoked listening to Emmalee Crane's 'sand rialto'.

My statue is in a constant state of making out.
Lain's enjoying her phone call in London.
With each cigarette, my pack shakes more as I gauge the amount left.
A jug of water is a great thing to have by your station.

There are so many thing's I'd like to do right now, but the sleep button is pushing down.
I have a printer now, it's running out of colour ink.

I'm actually asleep right now, whoever is writing this seems to think he's not a man, but a tree.
A giant sequoia tree.

Do not carve on bark..

Lunaria

Actually, the reason you may have to upgrade to a new phone is to get one which have 3G/4G support. As they may want to cut back on other wireless phone networks. (As I recall it companies own the buildings and shit in the US.)

:<

Hiroshi Mishima

Well, in that case I'd have to say I know jack-shit about the 3G/4G stuff and didn't see the appeal. Hmm.. looking in the corner of my phone I THINK I see the tiniest fucking "3G" in a white box possible. I mean gods, the icons at the top section are smaller than my old phone's! And this is a larger screen, what? That makes no sense...

Looking at it some more, I realized it's only a bit smaller, but that's also probably to fit in more stupid or useless icons at the top. *shrug* In any case, I've still not got the hang of this phone. Everytime I try to call someone it doesn't work, and I can't even answer a phone call by pushing a button. No! I gotta slide the "accept" icon to the side. How am I supposed to know that right off the bat? I can't read the manual (or even recharge it) cause the box is in my mother's car and she's out for a while.

Oh, and Mantra. I really liked the way your place looks. I hadn't realized just how big of an anime fan you were, that DVD collection looks awesome.  I also quite like the fact you have an SNES on the floor, too. :p As for the bed? I had a floor-based bed for a couple years while my then fiancee was living with me. We'd tried sleeping on my bed, but I guess it just wasn't meant to handle the strain of two people who toss and turn regularly and eventually broke.. hence my having a floor bed. :p

But yeah, that place looks pretty schnazy now, nice pics.

Digital_Mantra

Yeah I was heavy into anime from 7-18. Then I just stopped watching.
Then I started watching again if it really grabbed my interest.
The thing with anime is, if I like it, I have to buy it.
The dvd pics are kinda blurry.

Digital_Mantra

Been playing Kagero: Deception II on a ps emu since I can never find the game at a pawn shop.

I played the shit out of this on a playstation magazine demo disc way back when and it was heroin.

Now the nostalgia needle is ejecting more heroin. This game WAS the shit (possibly still is, like King's Field).

When I installed it, me and my friend were tinkering with the FPS and set some drill'n'bass to it.

Seemed like a cool idea at the time.

Digital_Mantra

You know what's worth a triple post?

Forgetting to mention Tenchu fucking 2.
Map editor was so cash.

Braid is fun too, like getting all 8 stars.
A slight deviation from old ps games aforementioned, but what the hell, it was a gift I installed into my finite memory.
Brains.

I'm not Digital Mantra anymore..
I'm Delicious Mango.

So none of this dman shit anymore, it's dmango.
Why? Because they are delicious.

Hiroshi Mishima

So you're delicious, eh? Glad to hear it. :D

But I know how it is to want to BUY something if you really like it. That's why I have so many DBZ, Tenchi, and Ranma 1/2 VHS tapes in my closet. And the fact I have over 100 Doctor Who stories on VHS...

Speaking of King's Field and other awesome PSX games... I wish to gods I could play the emulator on this computer.. so many good games I couldn't buy but I loved playing.. like Tomba! or Brave Fencer Musashiden..

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Hiroshi Mishima on January 08, 2011, 02:05:45 AM
So you're delicious, eh? Glad to hear it. :D

But I know how it is to want to BUY something if you really like it. That's why I have so many DBZ, Tenchi, and Ranma 1/2 VHS tapes in my closet. And the fact I have over 100 Doctor Who stories on VHS...

Speaking of King's Field and other awesome PSX games... I wish to gods I could play the emulator on this computer.. so many good games I couldn't buy but I loved playing.. like Tomba! or Brave Fencer Musashiden..

I have brave fencer musashi, that was a FUN squaresoft game!
Tomba was so addictive, all the gameplay elements. That's a game I could not find at the shops.

I tend to revel in the snes-ps era. Even those offspin systems that never lasted more than 1-2 years. Like the 3D0 or jaguar. Remember Descent for the 3D0? Shit.
I played that shit in game stores for 5 minute intervals and then going through the NES bin buying games like alien syndrome for 4$. Those were the days.

Lunaria

Hiro: 3G and 4G are more modern types of wide area wireless networks. In theory, once 4G masts have been set up you will really not have much (if any at all) advantage by running on broadband. Almost all wireless devices today are built with 3G, some even build in 4G support to allow for future expansion of the net. (I think we only have two or three places in Sweden that the 4G net cover so far, one being the capital of course.)

personitis

Went to local card shop and entered in the Yugioh tourney. Placed top four and pulled a shit load awesome, pricey, and useful cards. :D

Zhs2

[spoiler];ou3htwopayegv[09ejqg]oeqjrgb]o[re[]o245j'o[hfo[uihnewo[ibhnwrhvoihz
izpWfdlgbjneopbhnoirehnbuuetrbnrou;jvfod[ajnvjendsvkjnbreo'sulnbrE;BVU;EBVj;ONOIRNBHVUOHNoinurbneouv[bndfu[inbvtoindfvioknvdwfkji;vntoueiwnbfdoiuvn;eotinbdufsobt'eihnbouenbrfoiuewjhfpiunsfdkjnvteiuncougheouiuribvujebfdjidsfnvoienrpjcmjoinxrg3jhq8549rtu4haE$wnuaidsvndlkegbaduebedsuibfveurfviuerbfcjylh2ciumnc2ogh54sihmhr87thrwe80mhfvh3087hm87trehm9hruiapriup;esguivrfdbchbdfsigbrewiubv eruojfvbloyburgp8iuy5bg873g34b97gf379qfrbeuyfvdgbsv7uoiebfp9g43f793egfbnudsoivh3489u30829dynrwg4edmhvfgowehr8hg3w7958oyiumgc87582hfdn8fe9oiuhagnu2oi5423ewjudm;fjreb'
JIHNBTUIHBUPiprnpiuvwhdsighbnwou5bhn38gwo05h89vhefiunvidfhgboitp8409h8590hrenbaophg3q5oi8ehfoijerkfjbuiqbnv;bfa
qerf kjunbreufdsib ubteqf'[ibae;iubqf breaub fdi bibriyqhbrewdoufvjb 43piurbuiWBR35G[/spoiler]

I lost every christfucking save on my SD card that I use for DS flash memory.

Quietus

Lack of backups claims another victim... :cry:

Digital_Mantra

So I've been given all these old family tapes.
The problem is that I said "Yes, I can convert them to the computer and make dvds."

The trouble is, I'm using 10 year old technology to do it. I have to hook my ancient camcorder to the VCR, then transfer it on my old computer
(which I have to switch monitors for) because my new computer's OS doesn't even have a driver for my old Sony DCR-TRV28 Handycam.
I know they've probably got dvd/vcr players that does it within 1/10th the time and effort.

Aside from all that, it's really crazy seeing these old tapes from the 80s-90s with me as a kid.
The infant stuff was interesting but shit, seeing me open a copy of metroid 2 for gameboy on Christmas was hilarious.

There's even 50-60 year old tapes! Originally 8MM but transferred to VHS long ago.
I was thinking that given this will take months to transfer, I could make a project out of it.
Like a series of family footage music videos set to some nostalgic tunes by like Boards of Canada or something.

begrimed

Interesting, DMan. My sister and brother have been doing exactly that - transferring old home movies onto DVD. Must be something about a new year that inspires us to do this.

Digital_Mantra

Here's an examples:

Circa 1963 8MM.
My mother is an infant in this.

Boards Of Canada - '84 Pontiac Dream

Boards of Canada - Kid for Today

Parabox

Strange to see points in someone's life whom you somewhat remotely know of from such a time ago.

Digital_Mantra

if its not baroque, don't fix it
lol get it?
THAT WAS FROM BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
i was watching disney vhs tapes in my filthy room.
and i laughed SO hard when the clock in the castle said that. i went into hysterical laughter.
then i had to explain to my cat, while in mid laughter, that baroque is a form of music from that time period.

thats how awesome my life currently is.
i make food too. yeah.

i never cooked before, and now that i got a place, i prep food for half an hour and then start cooking
i feel like a seasoned chef but i'm just winging it. My signature dish always includes red onions and garlic.
prepping food and chopping up stuff and such is a pleasure.
it makes the day go by, and it makes your meal 100x more satisfying.

add freshly chopped up red onions and garlic to EVERYTHING.
then some curry powder, maybe yams, mushrooms, cucumbers.. to grilled chicken or tofu or smoked salmon.

my thai peanut sause was expensive, so im afraid to use it
but when i do. BAM. in your MOUTH

i put on some dubstep tunes and just start peeling garlic and onions while i let the olive oil simmer
god damn. get a camera, theres a tv show in this.
fine dining apartment cooking for under 300 a month
just go straight up to that camera, face level to your viewers, in their comfort zone and say..
"do you realize how affordable onions ARE?! GO BUY SOME"

theres a sign on the bottom too. a fact sign. and it scrolls by "onions are filling and a great source of fuck"

and garlic. INVEST in a garlic clove
its amazing. add it to everything.
you gotta peel and chop it for 5 mins
but with the right music.. and chair. it works

i really have no idea where I was going with this. Oh right. Recipes. Got any?
and nothing that involves a fucking microwave. zapping food is so.. 80-90s.
those appliances should be landfill by now. DID YOU KNOW THAT IT ZAPS OUT THE NUTRIENTS?!
guess what. IT DOES.

Unrelated: I was T.T to not see a single sigma++ on the winning list for 2010.

Everyone, take care. I'll try to sleep some more.

zephyrtronium

Above post is immortal.

As for recipes, I recorded a video of me making some tilapia a while ago:
Tilapia
The comments contain important things.

Parabox

Thanks for the ear rape. Also +1 split into "MetConst cooks!" topic (wasn't there already one of those?)

Phazar

There was a "Food" topic IIRC.  And I'm not splitting this yet because: 1: Not completely on only one topic yet. and 2: You're begging[Sorry!].

Crashtour99

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on January 23, 2011, 11:05:35 AM
nothing that involves a fucking microwave. zapping food is so.. 80-90s.
those appliances should be landfill by now. DID YOU KNOW THAT IT ZAPS OUT THE NUTRIENTS?!
guess what. IT DOES.
QFT   When my microwave burnt out, I discovered it was one of the best things that could happen as far as making food goes.  Invested in a small toaster oven (40 bucks @ walmart).  Holy crap, actually cooking food instead of nuking it makes everything taste so much better.  Baked potatoes take an agonizingly long time to cook, but they're so much better when they aren't nuked.  Ditch yer microwaves and cook in an oven or toaster oven, you'll never regret it for a second.

P.S.  The microwave burnt out in a spectacular way too, with horrible buzzing sounds and glowing balls of ionized plasma floating around inside it.  hahaha