News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Talk of the Day

Started by squishy_ichigo, May 15, 2009, 11:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital_Mantra

Life is like this inconceivable blur, an object moving so fast that to an observer it would be like a dopplereffect.
My blur would whoosh past you, and in a split nano-second, you would hear countless albums and movies, contentious diatribe.. then nothing.
I know I do things during the day, but weeks seem to coagulate into months and then years. What do I have? A bunch of files. I'm just a physical extension of this computer.
Reference points are like life lines. Proof of existing. Something that broke the chain of daily routine. Repetitive actions and reactions just don't seem to hold substance.
They could even be glorious routines. If you were some divine demi-god that indulged in the some.. 30 senses that you had on a daily basis, you would eventually become a blur too.
Whoosh.

Parabox

Stop. Go outside. Take a walk through a thick forest.

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Parabox on October 25, 2010, 01:35:03 AM
Stop. Go outside. Take a walk through a thick forest.

I do that several times a week actually.

Parabox

Do you whoosh through the forest then?

Hiroshi Mishima

Yeah, I do to. Well, not a forest, unless you mean the urban jungle. Trees are something of a commodity these days, what with the park management deciding the palm trees were too high maintenance and ripped them all out... which I bet wasn't cheap, and it ended up causing all kinds of bullshit in its wake like removing the living places of rodents which stirred up the wild cat population which stirred up the wild fucktard population who began to complain about everything who stirred up the "oh gods why us again" population which includes myself. Hurray for process and progress.

But yeah, I go walking fairly regularly. Last night after dinner, me and my aunt walked her dog for a while. I think we got a little under 2 miles out of it before she got too tired out.

So if anyone remembers or actually gave a flying monkey turd, I have computer problems. Well, I have managed to get my hands on a computer that is only a couple years old for 60 bucks. It's just a tad weaker than what I have now, but it is fully upgradable. I just need to get a bit more RAM and a fresh video card, and it'll be pretty good. I don't know if you can upgrade the CPU or not, but I might do that if it's possible later. Once they finish getting their crap off of it, I'll be able to hook it up and see what it really has inside so I can figure out what I need to do.

Malpercio

i walk to and from school every day. listen to music. get home, stick my mp3 player on the stereo, listen to even more music. yeah, 24/7 music.

it's awesome
and relaxing.

zephyrtronium

Quotelibtool: link:  /home/zephyr/gccbuild/./gcc/xgcc -shared-libgcc -B/home/zephyr/gccbuild/./gcc -nostdinc++ -L/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -B/usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ -B/usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/lib/ -isystem /usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem /usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include    -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/../lib64/crti.o /home/zephyr/gccbuild/./gcc/crtbeginS.o  .libs/atomic.o .libs/bitmap_allocator.o .libs/pool_allocator.o .libs/mt_allocator.o .libs/codecvt.o .libs/compatibility.o .libs/compatibility-c++0x.o .libs/compatibility-debug_list.o .libs/compatibility-list.o .libs/complex_io.o .libs/ctype.o .libs/debug.o .libs/functexcept.o .libs/globals_io.o .libs/hash_c++0x.o .libs/hash_tr1.o .libs/hashtable_c++0x.o .libs/hashtable_tr1.o .libs/ios.o .libs/ios_failure.o .libs/ios_init.o .libs/ios_locale.o .libs/limits.o .libs/list.o .libs/debug_list.o .libs/locale.o .libs/locale_init.o .libs/locale_facets.o .libs/localename.o .libs/math_stubs_float.o .libs/math_stubs_long_double.o .libs/stdexcept.o .libs/strstream.o .libs/system_error.o .libs/tree.o .libs/allocator-inst.o .libs/concept-inst.o .libs/fstream-inst.o .libs/ext-inst.o .libs/ios-inst.o .libs/iostream-inst.o .libs/istream-inst.o .libs/istream.o .libs/locale-inst.o .libs/misc-inst.o .libs/ostream-inst.o .libs/sstream-inst.o .libs/streambuf-inst.o .libs/streambuf.o .libs/string-inst.o .libs/valarray-inst.o .libs/wlocale-inst.o .libs/wstring-inst.o .libs/mutex.o .libs/condition_variable.o .libs/chrono.o .libs/thread.o .libs/future.o .libs/atomicity.o .libs/codecvt_members.o .libs/collate_members.o .libs/ctype_members.o .libs/messages_members.o .libs/monetary_members.o .libs/numeric_members.o .libs/time_members.o .libs/basic_file.o .libs/c++locale.o .libs/parallel_list.o .libs/parallel_settings.o .libs/compatibility-parallel_list.o  -Wl,--whole-archive ../libsupc++/.libs/libsupc++convenience.a -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -L/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -lm -L/home/zephyr/gccbuild/./gcc -L/lib/../lib64 -L/usr/lib/../lib64 -lc -lgcc_s /home/zephyr/gccbuild/./gcc/crtendS.o /usr/lib/../lib64/crtn.o  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--version-script=libstdc++-symbols.ver   -Wl,-soname -Wl,libstdc++.so.6 -o .libs/libstdc++.so.6.0.15
/usr/bin/ld: error: unsupported symbol binding
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [libstdc++.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3/src'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/zephyr/gccbuild/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libstdc++-v3'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/zephyr/gccbuild'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Dear GCC,
    You took two hours to compile, and then you failed to link. I hate you.

Best wishes,
Branden.

Digital_Mantra

Just got back from seeing Infected Mushroom & Gunslinger.
Only problem is, I can't remember more than half of the night.
Pictures to come eventually (and possibly video of the show).

edit: 'eventually' has come.

in the crowd.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

infected mushroom. big evil mushrooms on stage.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

me dancing like a tard to gunslinger. terrible sound quality.
[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEXTZ-YW0us[/spoiler]

squishy_ichigo

I've been listening to alot of Yes, Mayhem the last few days. 

http://yesmayhem.com/

Quietus

Bit of a weird one this, and I didn't think it warranted a whole topic...

I'm trying to figure out the minimum number of jumps required to reach Torizo's door from a fresh save (entering Ceres) in the original Super Metroid.  It's both a kinda mini challenge, and a help to a project of mine.  Thanks to anybody who chips in!

My current benchmark is 61 jumps, from the lift INTO Ceres, in and out of Ceres, through Crateria's landing site, collecting Morph and Missiles from Brinstar, and then back up Crateria's main shaft to Torizo's door.

Any help is much appreciated! :^_^:

Hiroshi Mishima

So you're trying to jump as little as possible, right? That'd mean making jumps count (like getting over a couple steps at once kinda thing), I'd assume. Would you could a walljump sequence as one jump or once for each push-off? This is interesting...

Quietus

Each time Samus actually jumps, wall-jumps included.  I guess a clearer definition would be Samus jumping through her own volition, so damage boosts don't count, so long as you don't have to jump to do so.  e.g. if you fell onto an enemy, and boosted, that'd be fine, or if you were jumping anyway, and boosting saved more jumps, then it's fine.

EDIT: I now make it 55.  My guess is that it's going to be a different method for clearing the shaft that does it.  Normally you'd just wall-jump up the side, 'cause it's faster, but it's more jumps, so I just did the biggest jumps I could make all the way to the top.

Hiroshi Mishima

Ah, then using the Enemy Boost glitch would be very helpful in cutting down the number of jumps, that's very true. Also the escape sequence in Ceres, if you get hit by the steam a buncha times, that'll throw you off, too. Hmm.. I actually wanna try this later now, and see what I come up with.

Also, keeping in general discussion of our days and such... I finished watching the last of the new Doctor Who episodes last night, although I'd seen them originally at Comic-Con. Gods, "The Pandorica Opens" and "Big Bang" could've just been a huge movie insofar as I'm concerned. It certainly feels like one. Then I played all three episodes of the Doctor Who Adventures game, which was really awesome but sadly short and the third episode felt extremely fast compared to the other two and left off on a cliffhanger...

But hey, no worries, I know they're planning to/are making more, so it shouldn't be too much longer. Maybe it'll coincide with the Christmas Episode or next season starting so they'll have more. I hope the next set of episodes will be bigger and better than these three.

Digital_Mantra

If all goes well and according to plan, I'll have a new flat mid-month.
A nice 1bdrm on the third floor by the beach.
I can't really afford the ocean view side, so all I'd see out my window is an alley.
In short, I won't have internet till I figure out the bill expenses and bank shite.
That is, if I get this place. My charm can only go so far with landlords...

squishy_ichigo

As I may have mentioned before, I now have a cohacker working with me on Rainbow City, none other then the marvelous SadiztykFish! :D
Give us a month or two and we'll probably start showing stuff off. Expect alot of custom code. ;3

Anyways, I made this post to say I just finished coding my first ever enemy! :awesome:

I'm so happiness right now!

Lunaria

THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING!

* Crys delays Ice Metal 2 until 2040

Quietus

You lucky bugger, squishy!  Take some awesome sauce, and squeeze it in a bottle.  Now fill a crate with these bottles of awesome sauce.  Now transmogrify that crate into female form, and you get Sadiz. :nod:

EDIT: Now down to 54 jumps in my mini challenge / test thing.

Hiroshi Mishima

Had a fairly busy day today.

Got approximately 5 hours of sleep after pulling a good 20 or so hour day of various stuff (including being up waaay too long helping Silver on MineCrackCraft displacing water around his home. Then I'm woken up by my mother after I'd said I didn't wanna go shopping with them cause I didn't feel that great (overtaxed myself physically again). She tells me a neighbor is getting rid of their old TV and she wants me to help her bring it back to our house. I just spent all night/morning working in Minecraft and my shoulders are still sore/stiff, and this is a good 40-50 lb TV I'm having to cart out of the house.. and then back up into ours. My mother is useless in these situations cause she doesn't know how to lift/pull together very well and spazzes out quickly if you go to slowly/fast, so I get fed up and tell her to stop and heft it all the way up the steps and into the living room. It isn't that I lack the strength, it's just that due to damage from Diabetes over the years (even though it's stable now) I just don't have the stamina I used to.

So now I'm very awake, feel kinda like I'm gonna hurl cause I haven't eaten since yesterday and I didn't get enough rest, so I quickly go through Taco Bell get a burrito and taco. I figure I may as well go with them to the store since I'm up now and will have no chance of falling asleep again and it's already midday. So we go out and have a lunch at this place called Rosa Cafe - Tortilla Factory. Great looking place, nice atmosphere, but the taco meat had this stuff in it, I suppose it was garnish or something and none of them could taste it. But I have a pretty sensitive palette (sense of smell too) and to me it kept feeling like I was eating lettuce and onions and crap and it made me sick to my stomach. So I have two of the tacos and hope I didn't overdo it, but by the time we're wandering around Sam's Club for 2 hours, I'm really feeling out of it and my stomach is pissed at me... But I'm a trooper, I don't complain much besides mentioning it in passing when my grandmother asks if I'm all right; I guess I looked ill.

After that it's another 2 hours or so a place called WinCo. Got a lot of good groceries and such, so it was all good. Found on of those ungodly rare Chocolate Oranges that you smack against a hard surface and they split into slices. Haven't had one of these since my ex was staying with me in 2006. I genuinely had a good day today being out with my mother, aunt, and grandmother. They are, really, the family I grew up with before my cousin came along seeing as how my 1 uncle was rarely around cause he's a workaholic. So I enjoy just hanging out doing errands like this.

But gods.. I do feel like shit, I can't deny it. Although we did get a lot accomplished and I don't regret going with them at all. Hopefully I'll be able to sleep good and long tonight, cause I know I need it.

Oh, and while I was at WinCo, I saw this really creepy Justin Bieber clone (was really some little girl) that kept popping up around the store. Nothing wrong with the kid, she was just being a typical cute kid, it was just disturbing how damned much she looked like that annoying Bieber guy, although I don't think he had the braces she did. I have this nasty feeling that a fair number of children are actually going through that phase now..

interdpth

Here's how my day went
First I woke up in the morning feeling like P.Diddy

Grabbed my glasses, I'm was out the door, I'm  hit thie city

Before I left, I brushed my teeth with a bottle of Jack
'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back

I'm talking pedicure on our toes, toes
Trying on all our clothes, clothes
Boys blowing up our phones, phones
Drop-topping, playing our favorite CDs
Pulling up to the parties
Trying to get a little bit tipsy

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock
But the party don't stop, no

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock, on the clock

Ain't got a care in world, but got plenty of beer
Ain't got no money in my pocket, but I'm already here
And now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger
But we kick em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger

I'm talking about everybody getting crunk, crunk
Boys tryin' to touch my junk, junk
Gonna smack him if he getting too drunk, drunk

Now, now, we go until they kick us out, out
Or the police shut us down, down
Police shut us down, down
Po-po shut us

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock

DJ, you build me up
You break me down
My heart, it pounds
Yeah, you got me

With my hands up
You got me now
You got that sound
Yeah, you got me

DJ, you build me up
You break me down
My heart, it pounds
Yeah, you got me

With my hands up
Put your hands up
Put your hands up

Now, the party don't start 'til I walk in

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock

Don't stop, make it pop
DJ, blow my speakers up
Tonight, I'mma fight
'Til we see the sunlight
Tick tock on the clock

Lunaria

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SILVER SKREE! :D!:

Malpercio

HAPPY BIRT - wait isn't that squishy's job?

EDIT: yay pagebreak!!!

Zhs2

But his birthday is a month later... That is, if I'm not mistaken...

Hiroshi Mishima

Nope, his birthday really is Nov. 14th, I talked to him about it yesterday after Crys posted that cause I knew it was coming up but I couldn't remember which day. So yeah, Happy Birthday again, Silver. :p

Also more Talking of the Day and stuff... just watched a very interesting special on the History Channel called Marijuana: Chronic in America or something like that. I already knew a large amount of what'd come up in the show, but it was still interesting seeing it all laid out in the open like that. I really do think a lot of people who think of it in a negative light are either simply ignorant or in denial on some of the positive points. Now, I certainly don't smoke pot (or anything at all), but I certainly do think that there's a strong overreaction, almost a knee-jerk reaction, amongst people who consider it to be one of the greatest evils.

In fact, right now I can hear outside my window people a house or two over who are laughing and talking rather loudly (especially at 7:30 PM, when it's almost pitch black out), and I am 97% reasonably certain that they're all drunk out of their minds, not stoned. I actually hear very little about crimes committed as a result of pot as opposed to incidents involving drunks or alcoholic abuse. Yet according to the Federal Government, marijuana is supposedly more dangerous than crack, alcohol, tobacco (pot supposedly helps cancer victims), and LSD. I find that a little ridiculous, really. Especially when you hear about people going to jail for 5+ years no parole over simply having pot on them, where as it is entirely likely that sexual offender could get out in less than a couple years. That's just insane.

Parabox

It's one of the most harmless of drugs, but it's still quite addicting. And since them Republicans ruled more than the Democrats (I think, not an expert on US history), well... Oh and LSD isn't that harmful either, and not even addicting. The effects it has has spawned a number of strange/funny stories about it.

Remember people, EVERYTHING is a poison in the right amount. With some stuff that amount is really, really little, and with some other, that's really, really much.

zephyrtronium

I just finished watching Blood+ again. It has stood out as an excellent animé to me since I first saw it, but this was the first time I was really able to appreciate how artful it is and how masterfully it was made.

On the topic of marijuana: Perhaps it could be considered hypocritical of me to say this, but I feel that there are better ways to spend money than on the temporary, artificial "happiness" which drugs bring. Recreational drug usage seems to me to be a form of escapism; if so many, obviously far more than those for whom there are medicinal benefits, clamor for marijuana, there is probably something terribly wrong on a deeper level.

In such a decadent society, saying that feels like stating the obvious.