News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Return to Zebes

Started by alexman25, July 15, 2018, 10:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caauyjdp

[spoiler][Re-]explore behind pb door in norfair main shaft.[/spoiler]

Paulinho

thank you, lol i entirely forgot that room.

anyway, i finished the hack.

[spoiler]I have to admit i got a bit 'surprised' after killing ridley and, searching for the new treat, i went to crateria.. 'oh, the spacechip, i'll stop by to recharge my power bombs, what, credits?'

funny fact is that IMAGO was the last boss i've met on game  :lol:

[/spoiler]

I didn't read the other posts on this i didn't know the hack was unfinished. But what we already have is really amazing, i loved the level desing of this mod, every single detail on it is REALLY amazing. I can't imagine how great this will come when you finish it or at least put more bosses like mother brain, mecha ridley.. crocomire on this would be awesome too

anyway.. CONGRATS for you guys who contribute to this hack, it is amazing and the best level design i saw on a metroid zero mission hack ever
it really seems as a entire new game and not just 'metroid zero mission very super hard difficult' although i like this type of hack too

alexman25

Here are some things to expect in version 2.3! If you don't want it spoiled or don't care about the hack, just ignore this post.

[spoiler]Expanded areas

Beam Missiels labeled properly in menu

Fixed clipdata errors

Hive miniboss is no longer permastuck for people who are bad at the game

Custom minimap tiles to communicate things better

Charlie now required for Screw Attack

Ship collision

Fixed some tiling errors, and improved look of some areas

Added more shine spark shortcuts

Added more graphical effects (like fog)

Added more save points

Nerfed Ridley

Deorem drops restorative pickups

Improved music for some areas

Removed "world building"
[/spoiler]

I'm still adding a lot more surprise content before 2.3 release, that will massively expand the hack. Happy hacking!

Unseen Brain

Awesome to see that updates are still rolling out for this project. I'll be sure to play it again on the next release.

[spoiler]Is the part about nerfing Ridley serious? I really enjoyed how aggressive he was with his tail in my original playthrough. In fact, I wish he spent less time observing and more time chasing, haha.[/spoiler]

alexman25

Quote from: Unseen Brain on April 24, 2019, 04:39:04 PM
Awesome to see that updates are still rolling out for this project. I'll be sure to play it again on the next release.

[spoiler]Is the part about nerfing Ridley serious? I really enjoyed how aggressive he was with his tail in my original playthrough. In fact, I wish he spent less time observing and more time chasing, haha.[/spoiler]
Glad to hear it!

[spoiler]Ridley isn't being nerfed too much. Just lowering his health a little bit so killing him without plasma beam is easier.[/spoiler]

Paulinho

Quote from: alexman25 on April 24, 2019, 04:45:02 PM

Glad to hear it!

[spoiler]Ridley isn't being nerfed too much. Just lowering his health a little bit so killing him without plasma beam is easier.[/spoiler]

alex, there are any plans of including mother brain on this hack?

alexman25

Quote from: Paulinho on April 24, 2019, 06:34:11 PM
Quote from: alexman25 on April 24, 2019, 04:45:02 PM

Glad to hear it!

alex, there are any plans of including mother brain on this hack?
Yes

alexman25

Hello, everyone. Just a quick announcement I wanna make. I really am trying to make the 2.3 version the best it can possibly be, so I urge you.

Please, play the most recent (2.2) version of the hack, and leave a review here on this thread, on the hack page (that one is the most helpful) or anywhere else you can contact me about it. http://metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=393 Any criticisms, nitpicks, general issues, or outright flaws you find I need to know.

I want this hack to be remembered fondly, I truly do, but I can't get there on my own.

FireStriker

I was about to check this hack out ontop of a few other ZM and Fusion hacks, when i get around to it i will give you some feedback but i love the concept and when i quickly loaded it to get a title screenshot for the 3ds inject and tried it a little and enjoyed how the hack starts off.   

I also love the M2 looking title screen.

caauyjdp

[spoiler=Some nitpicks(tried to stick to ones I didn't recall mentioned before)]Going right from morph without picking it up you'll get stuck unable to kill eye door nor get missiles.
Also, they eye door looks out of place since you just came out of it. It'd look ok in metroid action, but why here, especially since red door would accomplish same thing.
There's some weird tiling bit up from left door of the landing site(might also have inaccessible speedbooster blocks inside left wall, forgot to check if this was in this or previous versions).
Crateria lake still has 2x2 shotblocks on the way to vanilla missile. Can't access it but still destructible with wave/pb.
In room before charlie, you can get stuck in respawning speedblocks, if you do a ballspark up and just fall down after bonking.
Why increased bounce height for morph, it's not used/useful/fun anywhere as a mechanic and just manages to slightly annoy the player occasionally.
I'm still not entirely sure if movement/jump speeds are increased or not. Climbing tourian shaft without space jump tends to be annoying though until you get into a habit of breaking spinjump. Might be just me.
I think custom music is a louder than vanilla, to the point that I can't even hear sfx over it?
[/spoiler]

My favorite thing about this hack, is how much it changed from version to version. Lights in the hive room, fighting ridley over "bottomless" pit. That cool spark chain where you needed most of the upgrades. They are not in the current version, but I still consider them part of this hack.

alexman25

Quote from: FireStriker on May 07, 2019, 10:41:15 AM
I was about to check this hack out ontop of a few other ZM and Fusion hacks, when i get around to it i will give you some feedback but i love the concept and when i quickly loaded it to get a title screenshot for the 3ds inject and tried it a little and enjoyed how the hack starts off.   

I also love the M2 looking title screen.
Glad to hear you like what you see. Can't wait for you to play!

Quote from: caauyjdp on May 07, 2019, 11:54:50 AM
[spoiler=Some nitpicks(tried to stick to ones I didn't recall mentioned before)]Going right from morph without picking it up you'll get stuck unable to kill eye door nor get missiles.
Also, they eye door looks out of place since you just came out of it. It'd look ok in metroid action, but why here, especially since red door would accomplish same thing.
There's some weird tiling bit up from left door of the landing site(might also have inaccessible speedbooster blocks inside left wall, forgot to check if this was in this or previous versions).
Crateria lake still has 2x2 shotblocks on the way to vanilla missile. Can't access it but still destructible with wave/pb.
In room before charlie, you can get stuck in respawning speedblocks, if you do a ballspark up and just fall down after bonking.
Why increased bounce height for morph, it's not used/useful/fun anywhere as a mechanic and just manages to slightly annoy the player occasionally.
I'm still not entirely sure if movement/jump speeds are increased or not. Climbing tourian shaft without space jump tends to be annoying though until you get into a habit of breaking spinjump. Might be just me.
I think custom music is a louder than vanilla, to the point that I can't even hear sfx over it?
[/spoiler]

My favorite thing about this hack, is how much it changed from version to version. Lights in the hive room, fighting ridley over "bottomless" pit. That cool spark chain where you needed most of the upgrades. They are not in the current version, but I still consider them part of this hack.

That is pretty interesting! I was actually considering adding some of those things back next version.

alexman25

Original post has been modified with new information.

Steel Sparkle

[spoiler]What is with the room besides the elevator to Brinstar in Ruined Tourian that says
"2.4" does this mean something opens up in Version 2.4?[/spoiler]

alexman25

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on October 21, 2019, 06:17:38 PM
[spoiler]What is with the room besides the elevator to Brinstar in Ruined Tourian that says
"2.4" does this mean something opens up in Version 2.4?[/spoiler]
yes

makazuwr32

Can you attach ips file here? On main site hack is not showing yet.

alexman25

Quote from: makazuwr32 on December 14, 2019, 03:32:30 AM
Here's a direct download link

http://metroidconstruction.com//files/hacks/393/RTZ-2.3.1.ips

The IPS is too large to attach to a post

makazuwr32

Quote from: alexman25 on December 14, 2019, 05:10:56 AM
Quote from: makazuwr32 on December 14, 2019, 03:32:30 AM
Here's a direct download link

http://metroidconstruction.com//files/hacks/393/RTZ-2.3.1.ips

The IPS is too large to attach to a post

Many thanks!

alexman25

alexman25

Updated main post to include new update.

Lavama

Hey I'm having a bit of an issue getting 100% in the mod. I enjoyed it a ton, a minor nit-pick here and there that'll go in the review but otherwise pretty good.

It's probably more of a glitch unless I'm missing something?

[spoiler]The room to the right of here has an item shown as being in there, but I'm not finding anything. Am I supposed to grab that item on the first go around then it despawns? I can shoot the charge gate, it'll go up and nothing's there. I'm at 96% and I'm almost certain that's the item I'm missing, if not one sneaky item placement somewhere I've completely missed.

I'm also reading in the spoilers through the topic about Imago and Mother Brain, but i can't seem to find either of them???[/spoiler]

alexman25

Quote from: Lavama on June 14, 2020, 05:30:40 AM
Hey I'm having a bit of an issue getting 100% in the mod. I enjoyed it a ton, a minor nit-pick here and there that'll go in the review but otherwise pretty good.

It's probably more of a glitch unless I'm missing something?

[spoiler]The room to the right of here has an item shown as being in there, but I'm not finding anything. Am I supposed to grab that item on the first go around then it despawns? I can shoot the charge gate, it'll go up and nothing's there. I'm at 96% and I'm almost certain that's the item I'm missing, if not one sneaky item placement somewhere I've completely missed.

I'm also reading in the spoilers through the topic about Imago and Mother Brain, but i can't seem to find either of them???[/spoiler]

[spoiler]By the looks of things, you already have that item (it was charge beam).

If you're having issues finding the last remaining items, LinkaMeister has a few 100% runs posted.

Mother Brain and Imago aren't in the current version of the hack, having been removed. They will be returning in an upcoming update.

Thanks for playing my hack![/spoiler]

sam6555

Hi, playing this hack and quite enjoying it so far, but I have become stuck. I'm at a place where the only places left to explore I can't pass. Either by those metal gates which I don't know how to open, or in one place there's a blue flashing wall that wave can't pierce. Lower Norfair (I think) is cut off by  under lava wall jumps, but I doubt they are required, right?

I think I'm only lacking Speed, Screw, Plasma, Gravity.

caauyjdp

There are mutliple places where you could progress. I guess least spoilery one would be to explore [spoiler]kraid's room[/spoiler]?

sam6555

Quote from: caauyjdp on September 21, 2020, 11:27:14 PM
There are mutliple places where you could progress. I guess least spoilery one would be to explore [spoiler]kraid's room[/spoiler]?
I think I have explored it all?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

caauyjdp

I thought you didn't notice lower passage. But why don't you have speed then? Sure wave can't pass through those "forcefields" but you can.