News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crashtour99

Sorry for double posting, but I figured this deserved a post all it's own...

I've been reading through the monster SMILE thread on M2K2 (currently on p.218) and I saw that Kejardon said:
QuoteThere's actually room for 01FF unique indexes for doors AND items. Item 0200 would be door 0000 (and also event 0400 but I don't think anyone will be concerned about that), and they overlap from there on.

So yes, it is possible to open a door by picking up an item. However, just like two items with the same index, it won't disappear immediately if it's in the same room already.

I remember reading about how by linking an item's index with a grey door's index you can get the door to activate when you pick up the item.  Something like item#0202 activates all grey doors#0002 in that area (correct me if I'm wrong please).  I'm curious if I could use this same technique to link events with item pickups to cause rooms to change states, and if so, if anyone had a list of event index numbers and the states they changed or knew how to create new events (preferably without ASM).  I saw a list of event states in the state properties editor/selector, but it doesn't show any event numbers.

squishy_ichigo

I've never tried that, but I do remember Kej saying something about that.

But I'm currently working on a custom PLM that sets any event state that you want... so its not really gonna be necessary. (I'll be releasing it as soon as its ready... I'm just having problems with the PLM format atm)

DSO

Quote from: Crashtour99 on September 09, 2009, 10:45:04 AM
Sorry for double posting, but I figured this deserved a post all it's own...

I've been reading through the monster SMILE thread on M2K2 (currently on p.218) and I saw that Kejardon said:
QuoteThere's actually room for 01FF unique indexes for doors AND items. Item 0200 would be door 0000 (and also event 0400 but I don't think anyone will be concerned about that), and they overlap from there on.

So yes, it is possible to open a door by picking up an item. However, just like two items with the same index, it won't disappear immediately if it's in the same room already.

I remember reading about how by linking an item's index with a grey door's index you can get the door to activate when you pick up the item.  Something like item#0202 activates all grey doors#0002 in that area (correct me if I'm wrong please).  I'm curious if I could use this same technique to link events with item pickups to cause rooms to change states, and if so, if anyone had a list of event index numbers and the states they changed or knew how to create new events (preferably without ASM).  I saw a list of event states in the state properties editor/selector, but it doesn't show any event numbers.
I don't think that'd be possible with some reprogramming of the system.
From the RAM map:
7E:D820 - 7E:D86F    Event bit array. 30-6F are never used
7E:D870 - 7E:D8AF    Item bit array. 90-AF are never used
7E:D8B0 - 7E:D8EF    Opened door bit array. D0-EF are never used
With how the system is set up, you can't even go past the event bit array with an event value of FF, and IIRC events don't have a "High" byte, just the low.

P.JBoy

Neither items nor doors can set event bits, since the index is an unsigned value; nor can doors set item bits

Crashtour99

So, if I understand this correctly, then events can set items and doors, and items can set doors, but because of how the system works it won't go the other way round.  That kinda sucks...
However,
Quote from: squishy_ichigo on September 09, 2009, 02:14:34 PM
But I'm currently working on a custom PLM that sets any event state that you want... so its not really gonna be necessary. (I'll be releasing it as soon as its ready... I'm just having problems with the PLM format atm)
that is friggin sweet Squishy!   :O_o:  It sounds like just the work around that would be needed, and one that could be used to great effect once I start level design.  I'm guessing you're retooling the lava-rise PLM from over by the speed booster?  *bows before Squishies awesomeness :icon_cheers:*

RYNO

How can you tell if your rom is unheadered? If its in The S.M.I.L.E guide then send me that... If its not, please explain, and if I do have a unheadered rom, can I put it onto my already edited/hacked unheadered rom? Thanks

RealRed

if your file is 3,072KB, it is unheadered.
3,073KB is a headered rom.

Also, "S.M.I.L.E" made me lol

RYNO

ok... And also, I need help with the boost ball patch for unheadered... heres the requirements... please explain:
Things to note about this patch:
;1) The included boostball.bat will patch your ROM on these conditions:
;a: All of the files are in xkas's root directory.
;b: Your ROM is named "SM.smc"
Also I would like some help to apply backrounds/tilesets...
Please reply!

personitis

You could easily apply just the patch (which though posted else where, is below) to make things easy. Or you can go download am assembler hence "x-kas" a apply through that. As for GFX, you should be able to import\apply from the Graphic Editor in SMILE.

Silver Skree

I AM STUPID PLEASE HELP ME FIND THESE TILES IN THE GFX FILE FOR KRAID'S ROOM

[spoiler=RAAAAGE][/spoiler]

A SCREENSHOT AND MSPAINT CIRCLY OF THE DAMN THINGS IN TLP WOULD BE NICE

GOD DAMN I AM BITTER CAPS LOCK IS JUST REALLY FUN

RealRed

I remember GF_Kennon found those. They're not compressed, but instead sitting somewhere in the rom, which is nice. To be honest though, I think he lost the offsets <_<;

GF_Kennon

Quote from: Bloodsonic on September 19, 2009, 10:34:55 PM
I remember GF_Kennon found those. They're not compressed, but instead sitting somewhere in the rom, which is nice. To be honest though, I think he lost the offsets <_<;

...oops...

Well, If I find some time soon, ill get back to deciphering his background...

Samus-Aran

how can you change the rooms around cause every time i try i can't seem too get it

Phazar

Open the Map Editor and press M on the location you want to move that room to.

Samus-Aran

Quote from: Phazar on September 20, 2009, 02:07:15 PM
did that

MetroidMst

Quote from: Samus-Aran on September 20, 2009, 02:20:02 PM
Quote from: Phazar on September 20, 2009, 02:07:15 PM
did that
Then click "Save Map."

Cadarot

So just out of curiosity. is it possible to make the suits stackable like beams instead of getting everything from the Gravity suit? I want to make the gravity suit just give you the free moment through the water, and the varia suit make you immune to heat and lava

actually what I really am looking to do is to make you choose between the Varia and gravity suit, and not be able to have both on with the said effects above.

It's probably not really easy to do, but can someone give me a push in the right direction?

I am willing to learn and contribute

personitis

Quote from: Flamestar666 on September 24, 2009, 02:45:27 AM
So just out of curiosity. is it possible to make the suits stackable like beams instead of getting everything from the Gravity suit? I want to make the gravity suit just give you the free moment through the water, and the varia suit make you immune to heat and lava

actually what I really am looking to do is to make you choose between the Varia and gravity suit, and not be able to have both on with the said effects above.

It's probably not really easy to do, but can someone give me a push in the right direction?

I am willing to learn and contribute
I was recently flipping through Grime hex notes page in the Documents section and did find that there are some bytes to change that will make Gravity Suit only allow underwater movement and not give heat resistance.

Cadarot

Quote from: person701 on September 24, 2009, 04:03:55 PM
I was recently flipping through Grime hex notes page in the Documents section and did find that there are some bytes to change that will make Gravity Suit only allow underwater movement and not give heat resistance.
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Now I just need to find a way to make the suit non-stackable a la spazerz/plazma

rolando

has anyone had a problem with the tileset repoint ips? because when i apply it and try to play samus won't move at all but i could only pause and unpause the game.....

and whats the use of that patch for?

DSO

Quote from: rolando on September 25, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
has anyone had a problem with the tileset repoint ips? because when i apply it and try to play samus won't move at all but i could only pause and unpause the game.....

1. Not that problem, no... It's meant for unheadered ROMs, so there would be errors if you applied it to a headered ROM. It doesn't touch anything near the coding for Samus's movement.

2. It repoints the first 15 tilesets so you can edit them endlessly without breaking anything else.

rolando

Quote from: DSO on September 25, 2009, 03:19:08 PM

1. Not that problem, no... It's meant for unheadered ROMs, so there would be errors if you applied it to a headered ROM. It doesn't touch anything near the coding for Samus's movement.

2. It repoints the first 15 tilesets so you can edit them endlessly without breaking anything else.
oh ok,and am i able to add more tiles in TLP without replacing the old tiles?

Cadarot

Quote from: rolando on September 25, 2009, 07:13:25 PM
Quote from: DSO on September 25, 2009, 03:19:08 PM

oh ok,and am i able to add more tiles in TLP without replacing the old tiles?
I wouldn't recommend it, it's really easy to overwrite data or break something

DSO

The only way you'd be able to add "additional" tiles to a GFX set is to extensively reprogram Super Metroid to accept more. Then, you have another problem in that SMILE will not handle it either.

Seriously, you have 512 8x8 tiles in a sheet. That's plenty to build a tileset with, even if you can't fit everything you want in there. Alternatively, you could use two tilesets that share some of the same area graphics so they look like the same tileset, but spread out the details you want between them.

Scyzer

Is there any way to put text from a .txt file into a hex editor, provided it's all hex values? I have a list of pointers in txt format that I need to put into the ROM, but it's a long list (over $1000 bytes), and I really don't want to type them all out into the hex editor manually :icon_eek: