News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Old SMILE Help Thread

Started by GF_Kennon, May 17, 2009, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaggoth

My current configuration had shinespark disabled, so I didn't test that damage.  The problem occurred with both spike and enemy collision damage and projectile damage, but not with acid damage.

begrimed

If you run into it again, mind creating an IPS file for me so I can see it in action for myself? Not that I have the skill to fix it through reprogramming anything, but I could at least maybe figure out which changes exactly are doing it and maybe find another way to them to both work without that nasty side-effect.

Xaggoth

Here's an .ips with the messed up kickback, just find an enemy or a spike.

Scyzer

I'm guessing you didn't see my post on M2K2, Xaggoth?

I had the same problem as you, and it happened when I changed the routine at $82:8BB3. It should be JSL $A09169 (22 69 91 A0). It seems to control bomb jumping as well as stopping you when you get hurt by collision data (ie, not lava/shinesparks/acid/MB's rainbow attack, but only enemies/spikes).

begrimed

Oops. Yeah. I just tried that one change by itself, and that was the cause. Thanks for (unwittingly) finding out that one of them was problematic. I'll remove it from the page now so's not to have it happen again.

personitis

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on October 28, 2009, 04:28:27 AM

I had the same problem as you, and it happened when I changed the routine at $82:8BB3. It should be JSL $A09169 (22 69 91 A0). It seems to control bomb jumping as well as stopping you when you get hurt by collision data (ie, not lava/shinesparks/acid/MB's rainbow attack, but only enemies/spikes).
Specifically which bomb change was this?

Scyzer

Quote from: person701 on October 30, 2009, 03:38:20 PM

Lol... the one at $82:8BB3 :neutral:
It's the one that stops bomb jumping in the hex tweaks thing though.

personitis

Quote from: Sadiztyk Fish on October 30, 2009, 09:48:15 PM
Quote from: person701 on October 30, 2009, 03:38:20 PM

Lol... the one at $82:8BB3 :neutral:
It's the one that stops bomb jumping in the hex tweaks thing though.
Hehe, thanks. Completely overlooked the offset. ^_^;

Xaggoth

I was fairly certain I didn't touch bomb jumping, I removed my glitch and will be sure to do better testing when I add more changes later.

begrimed

Don't know if these have been documented yet, but here they are. These palettes are for Mother Brain's room after the glass has been broken and her body has risen from the ground (and during). Plug these exact offsets into I'm a Genius.

14D082-07 - Background of Mother Brain's room (during and after her body has emerged)

1494F2-0F - Tiles underneath and on top of Mother Brain's container as they're falling off-screen (just before her body emerges)

14D09C-0A - Layer 1 tiles of Mother Brain's room (after her body has emerged)

14D0CC-0A
14D0FC-0A
14D12C-0A
These three palettes are rotated through as Mother Brain's container is exploding and falling off-screen. I believe this is the only time they're used, as they're not associated with the Tourian FX1 glow colors. Darker variations of "Layer 1 tiles of Mother Brain's room"

rolando

i would like to know how to mix items together like space jump and screw attack together using a hex editor because i would like to free up the space in the space jump area to insert a new item (whenever i make one).

i would also like to know how to make an wall-jump item? i already read the doc's on how to disable wall-jump but i need to find the right way making it into an item.
picture wise its gonna look like hi-jumpboots.
also i would like to look for the bit of code for gravity suit the bytes where it allows you to move freely in water because i wanted to disable that and make it into an item like a gravity boost or something and use the space jump icon has its picture.

i also tried to copy the bytes of space jump and screw attack and put them into one

64 87 00 86 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 7C 88 BD E3 24 8A B3 E3 C1 86 89 DF 4F E0 67 E0 24 87 AB E3 99 88 DD 8B 02 F3 88 00 02 0C 24 87 A9 DF 64 87 00 85 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 7C 88 EB E3 24 8A E1 E3 C1 86 89 DF 4F E0 67 E0 24 87 D9 E3 99 88 DD 8B 02 F3 88 08 00 0A 24 87 A9 DF

at a new location and i copied the screw attack icon and renamed it into the new value but when i chage the item into the new item when i try to play the game it just goes black so i know that im doing something wrong..

personitis

Well, first of all, I think you can't combine items with just a hex editor. Second, I know for fact you can't create or mod an item without ASM. I have found a work around to disabling wall jumping but allowing it in few places; quite obvious actually. As a matter of fact, I think I'll create tiny documents on little tricks I find. ^_^

rolando

Quote from: person701 on November 03, 2009, 07:01:15 PM
Well, first of all, I think you can't combine items with just a hex editor. Second, I know for fact you can't create or mod an item without ASM. I have found a work around to disabling wall jumping but allowing it in few places; quite obvious actually. As a matter of fact, I think I'll create tiny documents on little tricks I find. ^_^
ah ok because i was trying it and it didn't work lol..
see i was trying to do this because i wanted to free up the space jump so i could make like a gravity boost item like in prime 2
ASM is like using xkas? please explain if you will because if i learn this stuff really nice i would make items and make patches with/and xkas files so everyone else could learn too.
and if you could and have the time are you willing to teach me alittle ASM so i could at least get the hang of it?

personitis

Quote from: rolando on November 03, 2009, 09:00:58 PM
see i was trying to do this because i wanted to free up the space jump so i could make like a gravity boost item like in prime 2
ASM is like using xkas? please explain if you will because if i learn this stuff really nice i would make items and make patches with/and xkas files so everyone else could learn too.
and if you could and have the time are you willing to teach me alittle ASM so i could at least get the hang of it?
^_^ I'd love to... if I knew ASM. Well, more of if my computer would compile the code for me <_<. Though I did get teh boostball ASM to work... But sorry bro, I don't know any. There are some people hanging around here though that I'm sure would help (not just you but me too when I get time).

rolando

Quote from: person701 on November 03, 2009, 09:23:29 PM
^_^ I'd love to... if I knew ASM. Well, more of if my computer would compile the code for me <_<. Though I did get teh boostball ASM to work... But sorry bro, I don't know any. There are some people hanging around here though that I'm sure would help (not just you but me too when I get time).
hopefully the mods would let someone with asm experience make a thread about it in learning some ASM at least for super metroid it would be a great help for everyone i believe.

Cadarot

Quote from: rolando on November 03, 2009, 10:56:06 PM
Quote from: person701 on November 03, 2009, 09:23:29 PM
hopefully the mods would let someone with asm experience make a thread about it in learning some ASM at least for super metroid it would be a great help for everyone i believe.
You can always try reading this
http://www.westerndesigncenter.com/wdc/datasheets/Programmanual.pdf

begrimed

That program manual is probably one of the best sources of information on ASM ever (hell, it's the official one).

... but it's brutal. I was able to follow it pretty closely until about page 60, then I got completely fucklost.

P.JBoy

Oh, I dunno about that :p  That manual is actually really good to help you understand the SNES works on a hardware level, as well as on a software level.  It has all the specific stuff you'd need to know as well if you're ever stuck with something, as well as just insight into the SNES

rolando

Quote from: Grime on November 04, 2009, 03:19:04 AM
That program manual is probably one of the best sources of information on ASM ever (hell, it's the official one).

... but it's brutal. I was able to follow it pretty closely until about page 60, then I got completely fraklost.
dude i feel lost and im on page 48.......i just hope that my brain is sinking all this info in..

squishy_ichigo

Its technically not in the rules... but it should be.

Quote tunnels are technically spam, and if you could try not to use them in the future that would be swell.  It clogs our beautiful forums! d^_^d

edit: Figured I'd elaborate a bit...

If the post is on another page, or your replying to something after a few people have talked its fine to quote them.  But if they JUST said something, you really don't need to quote at all.  The quote feature is there so people know what your referring to when you make a post, and if the content you are posting about is nearby, it should be obvious enough to know what your posting about without the need to quote.

And quote tunnels are when you quote other quotes, creating a chain of un-necessary boxes of text.  If you must quote multiple things please be tasteful.  Pick and choose parts of the text you want to quote, or use spoiler tags.

plzkthx, I don't mean to lecture, its just annoying. :P
-----

I need to read this other guide! It'll probably go over my head though.

P.JBoy

If I were you squish, I wouldn't read past the introduction(s).  It's really good to refer to when you're unsure about something SNES related though

Crashtour99

Ok, I thought that I had it written down somewhere, but I can't seem to find it.  Does anyone have a guide on how to make completely new rooms and how to fill them with PLMs and such without having to repoint to other room data?  I have some guides from various people about room expansion and repointing and all that, but none of them actually say how to make a completely new room.  
:Edit: Also, can you repoint multiple rooms to the same enemy data, or does each room have to have it's own?

Also, an idea I had but have never heard about anyone doing it before, so here goes a feasibility question.  Is it possible to have 2 doors on the same side of a single screen and have either one be a "fake" door that doesn't open when shot or have both doors work?  The idea is that with some fancy room layering (one room being a direct copy on top of another room) you could exit one door, go into a single screen room with 2 doors on one side (that both work), and go back into the room only appearing in a background type scenery (plus it could make for some really confusing "room maze" type scenarios).   :grin:

personitis

Quote from: Crashtour99 on November 06, 2009, 07:08:12 AM
:Edit: Also, can you repoint multiple rooms to the same enemy data, or does each room have to have it's own?

Also, an idea I had but have never heard about anyone doing it before, so here goes a feasibility question.  Is it possible to have 2 doors on the same side of a single screen and have either one be a "fake" door that doesn't open when shot or have both doors work?
Enemies: yes you can. Have both rooms share the same enemy population/allowed pointers. Only problem is that the positions will stay the same through out both rooms.
Doors: yes, but you'd have to mess around with certain door values. As for making one door fake, make all it's cap blocks solid.

Quietus

Quick question:

While avoiding the first four palettes (0 to 3) as they're used for the CRE stuff, am I right in thinking that I can still use the other four palettes for EACH tileset?  So I can redraw tileset one, with four palettes to play with, then tileset two with four palettes to play with, et cetera?

squishy_ichigo

Yes, you would be correct in assuming such.  And if your clever about it, you can use second half of rows 3&4 too, but thats abit hard to do at times.