News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - May 2017

Started by benox50, April 08, 2017, 06:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

benox50
5 (25%)
Daltone
4 (20%)
FPZero
8 (40%)
Retroo
0 (0%)
passarbye
3 (15%)
dewhi100
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

benox50

First, with some Wreck ship mega big room:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The BG is misplaced and make it look weird, but ingame it will look ok:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Quietus

Hmm, the room design seems good, but I'm not so sure on the Wrecked Salmon. It seems to look OK in-game. Is it the two different power states?

benox50

Hmm, I will use only 1 power state for that one.

Edit:
Ah, no this is the same power state, I love to use color filter, so there is a green color filter on top of everything making it looks better ingame

Daltone

rekd ship it is
[spoiler]state 1state 2[/spoiler]

FPzero

A surprise entrant appears!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Retroo

dewhi100

Quote from: FPzero on April 23, 2017, 01:19:48 AM
A surprise entrant appears!

[spoiler][/spoiler]

This looks pretty cool, but I do have a suggestion: Redo the BG rock walls. Right now they look awkward/unnatural in their placement and shape. For example, they look a little top-heavy. Most of the wall is concentrated in the middle of the screen, with open areas all around. The bottom pillars look like little legs holding up that wall. Having the walls more towards the edges/bottom of the area would make it look better. Another thing you can do if you like the current placement is to alter their shapes some, to make them more cohesive. As it is, it's hard to see them as one unit.

Anyway, the palette is awesome. As someone who's usually more excited by contrasts and bright colors, I'm really digging the mostly-monochrome look. It's very "alpine". Samus better have her varia suit winter jacket before she tries exploring a room like this!

Quietus

@FPzero
Loving your work, as always. I'd suggest having look at softening the edges of the lightest filler tiles. Where they've been brightened, they now seem to have very square edges, resulting in a chequerboard appearance.

FPzero

I'll see what I can do. Probably won't have time to fix it for this month because I'm getting very busy with finals but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

dewhi100

Captured with "Save Bitmap > Room"; Is there a way to capture the PLMs as well when exporting from SMILE?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

passarbye

GBA
because someone has to do it
[spoiler]
Ignore the blue pixel at the bottom, some kind of sprite I can't move because it's off-screen. IDK[/spoiler]

FPzero

Quote from: dewhi100 on April 30, 2017, 01:01:06 PM
Is there a way to capture the PLMs as well when exporting from SMILE?
No, SMILE leaves them out and there's no way I know of to make them appear in the screenshots. You'd have to capture your own image using print screen.

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on April 30, 2017, 04:20:17 PM
Ignore the blue pixel at the bottom, some kind of sprite I can't move because it's off-screen. IDK

Did you try resizing the room? I want to make sure it's not a bug with MAGE.

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on April 30, 2017, 04:45:10 PM
Did you try resizing the room? I want to make sure it's not a bug with MAGE.
I just did that now, it's a geemer that I forgot to get rid of :P
I initially made the room smaller (4 screens vertically instead of like 8), so it was just a leftover sprite.

Hackmi

Well don't know about room of the month, but I got some WIP room:
Save room:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
In game:

I have more stuff, just tell me if you would like to see it :)

Vismund Cygnus

As usual, I'm a couple of days late, but to compensate, we have a larger than usual number of entries!
[spoiler=benox50][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Daltone][/spoiler]
[spoiler=FPZero][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retroo][/spoiler]
[spoiler=passarbye][/spoiler]
[spoiler=dewhi100][/spoiler]
Get voting on your favourite, and don't forget to submit for next month!

Quietus

FPZero for me. Great use of colour, and instantly gives an icy feel. :cool:

dewhi100

Flower

FPzero

I'll have to get new hiking boots but I used to backpack like crazy when I was younger. Did 90 miles over ten days in the northern New Mexico mountains one summer. Absolutely amazing experience. One day I'll go back.

On topic, I voted for Benox because the room feels very unique in both its design and paletting. The Kraid Brinstar tiles are such a natural fit with the Wrecked Ship tiles that I forgot the two weren't the same tileset in vanilla. The quality of the Layer 2 I'm able to see is really nice too and the whole thing is really well-detailed. Plus the image that was posted of how it looks ingame with the greenish filter put it over the top for me. Nice work.

benox50

Vote goes to Daltone, it was close between him and FPzero :>
His layer 2 is what got him my vote