News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Is there any REALLY BAD Super Metroid Hacks?

Started by Kiteguy666, December 20, 2016, 05:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiteguy666

Like, 0/10 Super Metroid hacks. Because I want to know more about them

thedopefish

There are an awful lot of really bad halfhacks out there.  And most of them are not bad in an interesting way, either.

You can have a look at the worst-rated ones here.

Kiteguy666

So, I have seen the Super Metroid: Cristener Homenag hack.

Must be really bad if it was put below Freaking OTHER M

Kiteguy666

That hack offended the creator of So Little Time

Lunaria

Yep, it should speak volume of it!

That being said, I know there are plenty of hacks that are worse than stupid! but the key thing is just how lazy the entire product is, and how it tries to make the player consider it stupid at every point.

So really, it did what it was created to do! :P

Kiteguy666

Is there any Hacks that have not been made intentionally bad?

PonchGaming

Smiley

SMCompetition tried to be good but ended up being a total disaster.

Kiteguy666

I would like to ask why you disliked Super Metroid Redesign?

Lunaria

I mean, my list would be shorter if I mentioned what I liked about Redesign, which would be: The production quality, and some of the palettes. I guess some of the assembly work is pretty impressive, but I feel most of it was wasted on concepts and ideas that didn't really pan out well.

Aran;Jaeger

Since (1) most of the people that suggested bad hacks seem to not have an idea of what an actually bad hack is, and (2) the list of rated hacks doesn't show the rating of bad hacks that almost no one played, here a list of the worst existing hacks (taken from my lists of hacks ranked with 1 and 0 stars from my incomplete hack rating list). The order is alphabetically in each part:

Note that lack of changes from the original game went into the judging of hacks (otherwise consider them outside of this list, among the 3 stars hacks). Basically, I considered a situation in which some new SM player that already is familiar with, has and knows about the original game would need to pay money or put in some kind of effort for a hack and thus would really want to make sure he/she will get a fresh and fantastic experience or journey out of his/her 1 choice.

1 Star hacks:
[spoiler]
Abyss
Beam Combo
Boss Attack
Christmas Metroid
Colorblind
Control Freak
Correction 3
Dark
Death
Debug mode
Dismet
DOH
Double Jump
Enemy Scroll
Enigma
Evacuation
Federation Force
Gate Bug
Glitchtroid
Green Peace
Grnad Prix 3
Hard Metroid (Crocomire and 62C514A6)
HISHE
Hollow Eve 2
Hypermode
Impossible
Inferno
Intense
Inverted
I Wanna Be The Metroid
Kaizo
Lost
Lunatic Insane Impossible Hard wtf hardest
Marathon
MenuColoredSamus
Metroid Hive
Metroid Mission
Mini Hack(Test)
Mission Rescue (Hard)
Mission Rescue (Normal)
Nightmare (JAM)
Nocturn
NoMap
Noobsmasher
Obstacle Course
OHKO
One Hit Kill
One Missile Doors
Permastuck Practice
Permastuck Practice 2
Perspective
Phantom
puzzler 2.7
RBO Insane
Remake (yamishitsuji)
Speed Booster Practice
Sunburst
Supear Metroid
Super Mega-Metroid X-2
Super MockMetroid
Super MockMetroid 2
TAS Practice
Test Room
The Nightmare
The Story of Genesis 1
Tribute to Energy, Missile, Map Rooms
T-Metroid
Vacation
Vismund Presents: Spikes!!
Wall Js
Warfare
Wj Hs2(Perms Tuck)
[/spoiler]

0 Star hacks:
[spoiler]
aegmustest
Aquamarine
Arena 1
Arena 2
Bicho
Cristener Homenag 3
Derpevation
High Power
Hiper Metroid
II
ITSATRAP
Lömpo
Maze
Opus 1
Samus Returns
SnowCrash
space station recon concept
S18 Remake
Test
Tubes
Ultimate Challenge 2
Unamed
Unknown
Winter09
[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: Aran;Jaeger on December 21, 2016, 12:34:48 AMSince (1) most of the people that suggested bad hacks seem to not have an idea of what an actually bad hack is
This makes no sense since this entire thread is asking for opinions, and is entirely subjective.

Lunaria

I don't think Aran's assertion is wrong though, most of the people in this thread, myself included, have probably never even played the bottom barrel trash that makes up the worst of SM hacks, where as in contrast: he has.

Kiteguy666

Gotta agree with Lunaria there. The only bad hack I have ever played is Super Metroid Stupid

Quietus

Possibly true, though there are also hacks on there that look like opinions. Impossible a bad hack? I thought it accomplished exactly what is set out to do, so why is it listed among the others which are likely genuinely crud?

Lunaria

Sure, there is the odd one like impossible that I could see people have varying opinions on. But I don't think one or a couple off debatable items on the list invalidates aran's claim nor my assertion.

And for the record, I would actually agree with impossible be kind of trash. It accomplished exactly what it set out to do, but that does not mean what it set out to do what particularly great. But hey, everyone has their own opinion on games. *shrug*

personitis

Aran, you monster! Evacuation, Green Peace, and HISHE are masterpieces!

Also, I think you misspelled "Grand Prix 3" in there.

Borderjumper67

I have a hack I finished back in 2013. But I thought at the time it wasn't as great as I hoped it would be so it never saw the light of day.

mrkishumo

I liked Super Mega Easy Metroid for its simplicity in being bad.