News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

help with spriting

Started by MBT808, November 24, 2016, 10:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBT808

hey, looking for some help or tips for spriting. I've started with some new beams for MZM, but could use a hand or perhaps if anyone knows some good resources that I could learn from to help me on my own, Id appreciate it.

Grimlock

I would recommend examining existing games.  Take a close look at how sprites have been created for the system you're working with, in this case GBA (MZM).  I know that's probably some obvious advice but you'd be surprised at how many people don't think to simply look at what's already been created for inspiration.  I'm not sure which app is currently used to edit the graphics tiles, post on the MZM board or ask on the IRC if you need that sort of direction.

MBT808

Quote from: Grimlock on November 25, 2016, 01:29:23 PM
I would recommend examining existing games.  Take a close look at how sprites have been created for the system you're working with, in this case GBA (MZM).  I know that's probably some obvious advice but you'd be surprised at how many people don't think to simply look at what's already been created for inspiration.  I'm not sure which app is currently used to edit the graphics tiles, post on the MZM board or ask on the IRC if you need that sort of direction.

I believe mage can be used to rip the tile sets and go from there in whatever editing software(gimp, paint, photoshop etc.). I think VBA can rip sprites and tilesets as well.

ps. guessing by your nickname your a transformers fan?

Grimlock

Quote from: MBT808 on November 25, 2016, 07:06:04 PM

Actually it's unrelated but I was a fan of the transformers when I was a kid.  I actually pulled the name out of a D&D monster's manual years ago.  I was part of a large D&D group, we took turns being the "dungeon master" (person who sets up and runs a particular campaign).  Those were some fun times...

MBT808

Quote from: Grimlock on November 27, 2016, 07:00:06 AM
Quote from: MBT808 on November 25, 2016, 07:06:04 PM

Actually it's unrelated but I was a fan of the transformers when I was a kid.  I actually pulled the name out of a D&D monster's manual years ago.  I was part of a large D&D group, we took turns being the "dungeon master" (person who sets up and runs a particular campaign).  Those were some fun times...

D&d is fun, finding a good group is the tough part(unless you have enough friends who also play). Also a good DM can be hard to come by(never got a chance to DM myself)