News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Alternate M (Epic of Samus)

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, November 21, 2016, 02:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_red_monk_called_Key

Alternate M Epic of Samus

Back in the day i road my bike to payless(yes payless) to play the Super Metroid Demo in the small video game section. Every day they would delete the save files, so i had to start over every time. Finally i could afford Super Metroid, on the way home i flipped threw the instruction booklet and saw this.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I thought the game would be much different then it was. The first time i finished the game i was disappointed that there was no Kraid, or ridly zone. The 2 tall rooms from the begging of M1 were missing as well.

While i was working on MPE, i was playing Other M for ideas. Somebody said something about the story of Other M didn't match the rest of the Metroid story. So i thought what if the M in Other M is for M theory and the game takes place in an alternate reality. Then i thought i should recreate M3 in an alternate reality with new GFX, new enemy/boss GFX, new Samus GFX, and all the missing areas from M1.

This project has gotten bigger and bigger, then it begin to devour parts of MPE until it did everything i wanted to do with MPE and so much more. The project got so large i thought i would run out of space so i put it on hold to apply these massive ideas to SM Phazon 0.4 to see if i would run out of space.

As it turns out, no i will not run out of space. Instead i have so much free space i can add M2(#&$% YEAH!). I want to have Samus fly her ship from Zebes to SR388 in the same way Dark Samus will fly from Tallon IV to Phazze in SM Ph, but i decided against it because i want the SR388 caves on Zebes with a desert separating the two(for special heat run).

The Alt. M map is too large to have the old zone names, so all areas are divided into sectors. The far left Surface area is S-R386, this is the left side of the Crateria. Then right of that is S-R387, made up of the right side of the Cratera and WreckedShip. Ritht of that is S-R388, a long desert with the top half of of the M2 map. At the far left beneath the surface is B-R386, this is most of Brinstar, and Tourin. Right of that is B-R387, this is the right side of Brinstar(M1 and M3) and Maridia zone. Kraid and the M1 Norfair(Bubble Norfair) are together in area K-R387.
K-R388 is the lower half of M2. The M3 Norfair and ridly zones are together in N-R387 area.

The look of the game is a combination of ZM and M3 GFX with graphics inspired by the picture form the instruction booklet.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Alternate M [Epic of Samus] has the same Multi-Reality concept as SM Phazon 0.4(Alternate M Episode Phazon). In one reality the wreckedship is in a swamp, in an other its in the sand of the desert. The Norfair will be frozen over and the bubbles will burn, in order to span M1, M2, and M3 the first Tourain will also burn up. Samus will destroy zebes untel it explodes(end of game).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

PonchGaming

Seems like quite the ambiguous hack. Hope it gets finished :D

Vanya

I think you mean ambitious. lol. Looks like a really cool idea. I support this.

PonchGaming

A Dummy

This sounds like it will be pretty cool, looking forward to it.
It seems a bit strange to be putting the SR388 caves on Zebes, but hey I'm all for doing things in the name of fun.

benox50

Epic of samus definitely sound epic.

How much time you have been on this ?

RealRed

what's not to love about another artists' interperetation?

Keep us posted Red! I'd like to see how you interperet the map into SM further. It's really quite intriguing, even if only conceptually.

Steel Sparkle

Hot damn those screenies look nice. Dude this looks awesome. Keep it up Red.

TheZec

This sounds extremely ambitious and interesting. From what you're saying this is going to be an enormous undertaking. Good luck! Hopefully we see good tidings in the coming year.

CrAzY

Yeah, this sounds and looks badass already. I always loved the weird look of that instruction manual picture and how it looked barely anything like it does in game. You certainly changed that!
I look forward to seeing more.

Zero Dozer

The hack has ambition. Got my interest.

A_red_monk_called_Key

I have been working on this hack for 10 years. Zebes GFX is almost complete. i need to finish Mardia and norfar GFX. the first release will be 90% complete (w/enemies needing new GFX) The third release will be the vanilla path with M2 added (at the end of a hot sun heat run)

TobiMikami

Oh shit what uppp, Red Monkey's back yooo hella promising. Always been a huge fan of your art, SM Phazon heavily inspired the Phazon Mines at style for my own iteration of MP2D, I'm really excited to see what you've been holding out on!

OmegaDragnet9

That's great to hear progress on other projects. Currently working through a campaign of Phazon 0.4, but have already played 0.3 and 0.2. I really have enjoyed the previous revisions, and I am having a lot of fun with the latest one.

Looking forward to those when you've completed them!

TAxxOUTBR3AKxx

I've been out of the scene for awhile myself and am back as well. Seeing this first thing coming back is really promising. Can't wait to see more of this.

A_red_monk_called_Key

RT-55J

Dang those screenshots look nice!

UDtheAesir

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on January 07, 2023, 12:40:04 PM
Here are some screen shots

Damn! Looking pretty sick with the new GBA-style graphics! Hot~!

TobiMikami

Totally digging these especially that outside crateria landing site one with the scrolling sky bg, that's beautiful.

A_red_monk_called_Key

Things are going very slow on this hack i might go back and finish Phazons 2nd quest first

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on April 12, 2023, 11:34:47 AM
Things are going very slow on this hack i might go back and finish Phazons 2nd quest first
Do whatever you feel is right and is what YOU want to do. Im sure most of us are willing to wait no matter the time it takes. You do you RedMonkey.

OmegaDragnet9

Quote from: A_red_monk_called_Key on April 12, 2023, 11:34:47 AM

I second Steel Sparkle's statement. I'm just glad you keep working on this project. Take as much time as you need.

TobiMikami

It does get really hard to focus on one project for a long period of time, most of us are just happy with a status update and the continued updates to Phazon over a decade now its crazy.