News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Quote from: dewhi100 on April 19, 2017, 06:11:34 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring only to the leaves. They have the same slope and shading on both sides. The trunk looks great IMO.
Never mind! That's what communication is also made for, to clarify things!
Besides from using a finer transition in the trunk i already experimented with more differentiated leaves, and trying to make the crown less geometrical. Added some vines, designed the crown with more fluctuating density, and stuff like that. I also wanna apply the shading and mixed forms to the crown like you said. I come up with results soon!

I like that stuff a lot, mocking up graphics and optimizing it in many steps!
On the one hand things grow very slowly, but on the other hand it's worth it and it feels like accomplishing something.

Thanks for all your feedback folks!

Flower

Started designing tiles for a tech araa incidentally

As of the tree, i started optimizing its look, the trunk looks great now, the top still needs work. It's a matter of time!

Stay tuned!

PonchGaming

Flower

Quote from: PonchGaming on April 20, 2017, 08:32:47 AM
Is that a manji?
Okay, i realise the arrangement of the tiles that are meant to be parts of a pipe-system is a bit disadvantageous. Sorry for that!
:eyeroll:

Mayo-chan

When do you think there'll be a playable build to send out to testers? I'm looking forward to see how it plays.

Flower

Quote from: Mayo-chan on April 20, 2017, 09:16:03 AM
When do you think there'll be a playable build to send out to testers? I'm looking forward to see how it plays.
Actually there IS one out, but for the next session of playtests i would like to polish the whole thing a bit more.
I keep you informed!
I shoot you a mail then, as well as the former playtesters @dewhi100, @Tahazzar and @Odb718 plus whoever likes to!

I guess it should be something like 2,3 months or so.

Quietus

Quote from: Flower on April 20, 2017, 09:14:21 AM
Okay, i realise the arrangement of the tiles that are meant to be parts of a pipe-system is a bit disadvantageous. Sorry for that!
:eyeroll:
I think Ponch is just teasing. There's nothing wrong with it, and the symbol has had tonnes of versions and meanings in different cultures throughout history. Nothing needs to change. :yay:

Flower

Latest tree approach.
It's work in progress!
What do you think?

PonchGaming

Yeah, I was just sorta pointing it out. It does mean like good stuff in other cultures, which is why I said manji rather than swastika. On topic though, the trees look good. Though is the screenshot zoomed out and the tree is supposed to be big, or is like just a bit taller than the player?

dewhi100

Ditching the geometric leaves looks great. So my new constructive complaint is that they don't spread out far enough from the trunk. It makes the tree look like a lollipop.

Flower

Current Development pictures of three areas in Metroid: Space Complex

Brinstar (Space Area)

Kraid (Cave Area)

Norfair (Flora Area)

Be careful! ;)

benox50

oh shite, I really like your highlights on the tiles.
Do you think you could have more BG tiles instead of the black.
For example in the cave, you could see some rocks behind in the distance

Flower

Quote from: benox50 on April 22, 2017, 11:21:14 AM
Well i could and i would like to but that's a thing that makes me begging for the expansion offered by MMC3. Till then i spent my tiles for the outlines and landscape shapes, later on filling with life with more BG tiles. Very much looking forward to that!

EDIT :
Wouldn't you call it FG = Foreground Tiles in Metroid's case? The engine just draws in front of Samus and the Sprites. Poor Background Tiles!  :cry:

Cheers

dewhi100

Drawing all tiles in front of Samus is a shame but you do an incredible job with that limitation. The new screens look great, keep it up.

Flower

to give some pending responses:

Quote from: dewhi100 on April 23, 2017, 03:19:14 PM
Drawing all tiles in front of Samus is a shame but you do an incredible job with that limitation. The new screens look great, keep it up.
Thanks!

Quote from: benox50 on April 22, 2017, 11:21:14 AM
First: Thanks!
Second: Like i said there aren't by definition any Background Tiles, but i will add more scenery tiles later. "Dark" Stones that are in the Foreground, thus passable for Samus, seem like a fine idea, gonna try that, thanks!
But i have to say that it also was a style decision to have much blackness in the cave.
It should look abandoned and empty.

Quote from: dewhi100 on April 20, 2017, 07:08:05 PM
Ditching the geometric leaves looks great. So my new constructive complaint is that they don't spread out far enough from the trunk. It makes the tree look like a lollipop.
I also adressed that in the newest Norfair screenshot. What do you say? Maybe i will add a top tile for the tree crown to rounden it down. But for now i am happy with it.

Quote from: PonchGaming on April 20, 2017, 06:27:02 PM
Yeah, I was just sorta pointing it out. It does mean like good stuff in other cultures, which is why I said manji rather than swastika. On topic though, the trees look good. Though is the screenshot zoomed out and the tree is supposed to be big, or is like just a bit taller than the player?
The tree is supposed to be big, in some cases even several screens long, going for a vertical shaft, a jumping section.
You get an impression of the tree a bit bigger on the Norfair screenshot.
Regarding the manji, the arrangement of the pipe section looking like a manji is pure coincidence.
It's a shame the nazis abused the meaning and the symbol, which has a rather uplifting meaning in the first place. Unfortunately that's not the only example...

So far!
Stay curious and tuned!

:bounce:

dewhi100

Latest tree looks dope, Flower. Good size, shape, and textures.

Grimlock

Yep, pretty cool stuff!  I like your palette selections.   :cool:

Flower

Started designing a Stone Temple in Flora Area

dewhi100

Pretty cool stone blocks. But be careful- with the coloration and the way they're stacked, those might be mistaken for cut-off tree trunks. You are really putting that limited palette to good use though, wow!

Flower

Quote from: dewhi100 on April 26, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
Pretty cool stone blocks.
Thanks!
Quote from: dewhi100 on April 26, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
But be careful- with the coloration and the way they're stacked, those might be mistaken for cut-off tree trunks.
Now as you say it, yeah this could really come to your mind. And that's not even a bad thing! i will play with those blocks using them differently colored to evoke them seeming different beings. Here some tree trunks, here some stones. This gets even more interesting as i want to use more stones of different shapes, sizes, colour and with different textures.
Some interesting playground.
And i also finetune some of my old song snippets (in Metroid Tuner) to match this Temple Area.

Stay tuned

Flower

Some Experimentation @ Inner Temple. Just a jam but nice to see the potential.
More Stones!!

Flower

snarfblam

I know I haven't chimed in all that much in this thread. Mostly, I've been watching with a detached curiosity, because I know it's hard to do great things with m1, but I feel the need to say the things you've been posting lately show a shit ton of potential.

Also, I just listened to one of your tracks, "EPOS." It was an unexpectedly solid track. I didn't listen to the rest because now I can't wait to hear them in context.

Keep up the good work. Nestroid needs you.

Flower

Temple Experimentation 3
Having serious fun!  :^_^:

EDIT: This will probably the last Temple picture for a while, don't wanna spoil toooo much.

Flower

Quote from: snarfblam on April 28, 2017, 07:14:02 PM
I know I haven't chimed in all that much in this thread. Mostly, I've been watching with a detached curiosity, because I know it's hard to do great things with m1, but I feel the need to say the things you've been posting lately show a shit ton of potential.

Also, I just listened to one of your tracks, "EPOS." It was an unexpectedly solid track. I didn't listen to the rest because now I can't wait to hear them in context.

Keep up the good work. Nestroid needs you.
Honored by THE snarf. Thanks a lot!
I would be pleased if you could lend me a hand with a few  things, that would push me forwards, too.
May i ask you sincerely?

As of being hard to do good things with NEStroid, yepp that's a burden to live with the limitations (for me being the biggest downer a) only 3 Bosses and b) no Background Graphics. But it's also a nice task, and coming up with solutions feels accomplishing.
Sorry for my little issues regarding English here and there, i am no native English speaker by the way.