News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid: Space Complex

Started by Flower, October 15, 2016, 02:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

The world of Space Complex grows and grows, currently in the underground. Stay tuned!

Quote from: passarbye on January 25, 2017, 02:06:54 PM
You could probably have a look at how it's done in megaman (the original) and re-implement it within metroid from there. From my understanding, the engines aren't too far off since they're both early platformers on the NES.
In the meantime i began learning asm, if you can call it that way, i began ti read tutorials.
Maybe i will be able to do such a thing in thw future, who knows.

Flower

Hey Space Pirates!

a Demo v0.4 is out, featuring parts of Kraid, plus layers and layers of polishing.
Who gets MaruMari, 15 Missiles and the Long Beam?
PM if you wanna try it.
Cheers!

Flower

Prototyping:

Ridley, Slimes and Mushrooms Area, an area of mad greasy plants.

Flower

At the moment, i use my spare time to finally get through Final Fantasy VI, a long-term project finally in progression.
You may know, FF games eat time, so as long as i am into Terra, Locke & Co., there will be no hacking.

I let y'all know, when i move on, i surely will, but not now.

Cheers!

Grimlock

Taking a break can revitalize your creativity.  I'll be looking forward to seeing where you take your project when you get back at it.

dewhi100

I was frankly surprised by how high your output was during the version 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 development and testing.However long of a recharge you're on, you more than earned it.

Flower

Thanks!

Sometimes i draw a little here and then, when i'm ridin' a train. This is my latest Norfair Mockup:

WIP!
2 Palettes used, makes 2 to spare. Could be some contrasting. I collect ideas myself whatever this could be. I'm also open for ideas ;).

Grimlock

Quote from: Flower on March 14, 2017, 02:01:49 PM
[spoiler]Thanks!

Sometimes i draw a little here and then, when i'm ridin' a train. This is my latest Norfair Mockup:

WIP!
2 Palettes used, makes 2 to spare. Could be some contrasting. I collect ideas myself whatever this could be. I'm also open for ideas ;).[/spoiler]

You're making good progress.  I would suggest adding some more depth to the plant life by adding in some shadowing/shading to them.  The tree and the green plant to it's left look rather flat as is.

Flower

Quote from: Grimlock on March 14, 2017, 08:04:04 PM
You're making good progress.  I would suggest adding some more depth to the plant life by adding in some shadowing/shading to them.  The tree and the green plant to it's left look rather flat as is.
I tried to apply more shading, it figures as an absolute uneasy task!
I don't know yet which colour to use for shading and how to apply that to the graphics.
This dark teal colour, which is prefered for shading, doesn't have a good effect, at least not the way i tried to use it, yet.
hmm

Flower

At least i tinkered with new MetroidTuner - Tunes.
That's what i'm most satisfied with.
Anytime soon i will start a new Youtube-Channel featuring all those NEStroid-Tunes.
:bounce:

Grimlock

Quote from: Flower on March 17, 2017, 10:33:24 AM
I don't know yet which colour to use for shading and how to apply that to the graphics.
This dark teal colour, which is prefered for shading, doesn't have a good effect, at least not the way i tried to use it, yet.
hmm

One of the secrets to NES graphics is the use of black.  Try to fade out with some black pixels mixed in there.

Flower

Quote from: Grimlock on March 18, 2017, 01:48:47 AM
Quote from: Flower on March 17, 2017, 10:33:24 AM
hmm

One of the secrets to NES graphics is the use of black.  Try to fade out with some black pixels mixed in there.
That's right, but in the tree and the big green plant are already black areas included. Maybe apply it in another way? I flounder...

Flower

*** new Youtube - Channel ***

Hey People, i created a new Youtube Channel featuring Tunes, that will likely be used in the Hack.
Take a careful look (listen)!

Space Complex Music

Starting with 4 Tracks:

EPOS

CAVE

TUESDAY MUSIC

FASTRACK

Grimlock

Pretty cool stuff, your graphics are coming along nicely too!

passarbye

Great music, and great art.
keep up and innovate. ;)

Flower

Added a brandnew Track:

SPACE KEYS

Handle with care and have fun!

Flower

Latest Norfair Mockup.

Today i redrew the tree, this time it's shaded - what a huge improvement, or? @Grimlock ;)

Happy Easter everyone!

Quietus

The tree looks much better. :^_^:

Flower

dewhi100

Good artwork as usual Flower. The tree does look a little symmetrical; maybe you can mix in more variations to make it more organic looking? The tiles themselves are great.

Flower

Quote from: dewhi100 on April 17, 2017, 08:12:13 AM
Good artwork as usual Flower. The tree does look a little symmetrical; maybe you can mix in more variations to make it more organic looking? The tiles themselves are great.
I tried to use as few tiles as possible, and yet deleting the grid. Where would you like to see more tile variation, in the trunk, the crown or both?

Quietus

I think dewhi is saying that it'd probably look better with more of a gradient, from more brown on one side to more black on the other. At the moment, you just have 'mostly brown', then 'mostly black', with nothing in the middle. You could probably do so without using any extra tiles.

Flower

Quote from: Quietus on April 17, 2017, 01:48:16 PM
I think dewhi is saying that it'd probably look better with more of a gradient, from more brown on one side to more black on the other. At the moment, you just have 'mostly brown', then 'mostly black', with nothing in the middle. You could probably do so without using any extra tiles.
Ah i see. That's something i wanna try! I absolutely LIKE the new shading approach, but maybe the hard edge could be a bit softened. Thanks!!

Flower

Side note:
Most of the pictures i posted here are now unavailable, because Dropbox stopped the public service. What a shame!
Whenever you want to see some pictures, that you can't see now, please tell me! What i won't do is replacing all the old links with new proper ones, that's way too tedious. I will do in single cases whenever I'm willing to, or when you ask me nicely! ;)
Cheers

dewhi100

Sorry for the confusion. I'm referring only to the leaves. They have the same slope and shading on both sides. The trunk looks great IMO.