News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Why are the GBAtroids soo unpopular?

Started by Amorsis, October 06, 2016, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amorsis

After fiddling with Hexeditors and code, Ive got a garbled mess. But I took satisfaction in it because Im still learning how to do ROM hacking. Especially with Metroid Zero Mission. Im not that big a fan of Fusion because it was wayyy too linear. But it still brought the satisfaction of beating it at the end just like with MZM. Which brings me to my question.

Why doesnt anyone hack Metroid Zero Mission or Fusion?

Theres only two really known people working on either of them. I see recreations with SM, and M2, but nothing with MZM or MF.
I know theres some kind of ability to shape the games into something we all could learn to love. Such as with AM2R, the author took ideas Metroid Zero Mission and built upon them. Such as with the missiles having collateral block damage, or the new additions of the Automatons and how fluidly Samus runs and aims. Most of which is very lacking in the GBA games. I loved these games. Im interested in your personal opinions :P

Zero One

I think, for starters, SMILE has existed much longer than any GBATroid editor, so it's built up a much bigger userbase, especially with its variants improving upon it. Not to mention that there exists far more information about how Super Metroid works than the GBATroids. As a result, hacking Super Metroid is likely far easier to get in to.

Quietus

Not to mention that prior to the recent release of the MAGE editor, there hasn't been a user friendly, supported editor. Its creator, Biospark, is very much active, and hands-on with fixes and information. Things will likely pick up once it settles down, and people master its workings, but it'll likely take the first decent hack to be released to really galvanise people, much like Redesign did for Super.

Zero Dozer

Exactly what ZeroOne and Quietus says. Those games are more recent than Super Metroid and there have been hackers for SM as far as, dunno, maybe the end of the 90s?

Also, it's not like the GBAtroids are unpopular, given that we have people crazy enough to finish Zero Mission at 100% in 50 minutes IGT...

passarbye

There are a few people working on hacks for MZM and Fusion (myself included), so it's only a matter of time. Patience is the key here.
Biospark has been amazingly helpful with literally anything I've thrown at him, but it's not like there aren't other people dedicated for this stuff. Interdepth is also still around here somewhere. I believe he mentioned something about a GBAtroid SDK or something.
but there's more than 2 people, you get my point.

biospark

I think Quietus made a good point. The editor certainly got the ball rolling, but it'll take a well made ROM hack (one that people outside of the Metroid community play) before things really pick up.

MAGE has the benefit of being a modern application that's actively worked on (in contrast to SMILE), so hopefully that helps to attract more people.

Boured

It was mostly due to simply not a decent enough editor at the time, or the need to create one. With the release of MAGE hacking ZM and Fusion is in my opinion easier than Super Metroid. We should be getting more ZM hacks with more documentation that comes out :P

interdpth

No one liked the GIMP interface DH had even though I took users input into the design. Then I got too busy and never checked for stability so it went to hell.

But it's on the way with MAGE, at least PJ and I had a really good rom/ram map for people to get started on, and now biospark keeps adding more and more like a pro.

It's on the way; SM was released in 94, good hacks started coming around 2004, ZM was released around 2004, good hacks have been coming out recently.

Time Framezzz

liamnajor

Quote from: interdpth on October 27, 2017, 10:20:26 AM
No one liked the GIMP interface DH had even though I took users input into the design. Then I got too busy and never checked for stability so it went to hell.

But it's on the way with MAGE, at least PJ and I had a really good rom/ram map for people to get started on, and now biospark keeps adding more and more like a pro.

It's on the way; SM was released in 94, good hacks started coming around 2004, ZM was released around 2004, good hacks have been coming out recently.

Time Framezzz
M2 came out in 1991, so by your logic, a good m2 hack is 16 years overdue.

interdpth

liamnajor

there are only 3 m2 ronhacks as far as I know(and one of them is unreleased):
Metroid 2: DX,
Metroid 2: Challenge,
and Metroid 2: zero suit samus hack(the unrealesed one).

interdpth

Naw, the only editor for them is unsupported by the developer and isn't really efficient. However the data is out there for someone to write an editor. I pondered about it, but I never wanted to do anything for it lol

liamnajor

I'm currently writing one from scratch in javascript. file IO works, but as of now, it's just a hex editor. I'm calling it ROSE, or Return Of Samus Editor.

interdpth

Quote from: liamnajor on October 27, 2017, 05:02:18 PM
I'm currently writing one from scratch in javascript. file IO works, but as of now, it's just a hex editor. I'm calling it ROSE, or Return Of Samus Editor.

I'll hit texel up and see if he still has his notes. I'll PM if I can get them too you