News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Room of the Month - July 2016

Started by Grimlock, June 27, 2016, 11:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who made the Room of the Month?

Secret Agent Klunk
0 (0%)
Grimlock
3 (12%)
Hawntah
7 (28%)
Vismund Cygnus
1 (4%)
Retroo
3 (12%)
Mettyk25jigsaw
1 (4%)
heenok
10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Grimlock

In preparation for my great victory I submit to thee this work of finely polished 8-bit M1 art:

(Victory by default since no one else has entered, my favorite)    :grin:

Note: This is a polished version of a previous submission (note the absence of the oven mitt rock formation).  Should be acceptable under the current rules?

Edit: I just checked on my tablet and the image didn't load.... typical Photobucket ruining my fun.  :nope:

Hawntah

Quote from: Grimlock on June 27, 2016, 11:14:14 PM
(Victory by default since no one else has entered, my favorite)    :grin:
Can't be having none of that now, can we?

[spoiler][/spoiler]

EDIT: Now with water, thanks to biospark! I might have to tweak the water palette a bit.

Vismund Cygnus

I'm sure it'll be fine Grimlock, just as soon as I can see it!

Anyway, here's something I threw together in 5 minutes, because we can't have a competition without an obligatory Super Metroid room.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Retroo

Do you feel lucky Vismund? 777 posts.

biospark

Quote from: Hawntah on June 28, 2016, 06:00:13 AM
*image*

Apologies for the lack of water graphics, I'm sure you can guess where it's supposed to be.
This makes me so happy. Also sorry about the water graphics. They will be visible in the near future.

Mettyk25jigsaw

If one fails, just try, try, try again...So here is my next try...Oh, New doors...Hope you prefer them...

heenok

something.. something.. 8x8 tilesets, something... custom engine.
i tried to downsize some 16x16 tilesets to see if 8x8 was a workable resolution, the one on the right side comes from ridley's lair in hyper metroid, and i stole the overgrown one from the creative section :^)
if i understood correctly, since it's my first post, i am not supposed to be able to post links so i'll try something a little bit dodgy, hope i wont get bananaed
here's my room: htt
ps://s32.
postimg.or
g/bawklzy39/ten2.png

and a gif to give a sens of scale: htt
ps://s31.
postimg.or
g/l03o79gff/ten2.gif

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: heenok on June 29, 2016, 06:15:37 AM
[spoiler=room][/spoiler]

[spoiler=gif][/spoiler]
Fixed that for you. I'm not sure on the moderators take on links inside [img] tags for the first post (probably the same as links in general), but better safe than sorry. I mean, you can always introduce yourself for your first post to get past the "no links on first post" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Still, for some reason, I'm getting an environmental station alpha feel from that room (and that's a good thing)

Quietus

Quote from: TheAnonymousUser on June 29, 2016, 07:26:56 AMan environmental station alpha feel
That's exactly what I thought the second I saw it. :^_^:

Retroo

Zero One

Quote from: heenok on June 29, 2016, 06:15:37 AMif i understood correctly, since it's my first post, i am not supposed to be able to post links so i'll try something a little bit dodgy, hope i wont get bananaed

That is not a rule, unless the forum software itself actually stopped you from posting links?

Kazuto

Quote from: Zero One on June 29, 2016, 11:24:30 AM
Quote from: heenok on June 29, 2016, 06:15:37 AMif i understood correctly, since it's my first post, i am not supposed to be able to post links so i'll try something a little bit dodgy, hope i wont get bananaed

That is not a rule, unless the forum software itself actually stopped you from posting links?

Yeah, I couldn't post any links in my first post, either.  They were converted to text.  I was able to edit the post after the fact and have them link correctly, but yeah.

squishy_ichigo

Quote from: Zero One on June 29, 2016, 11:24:30 AM

Zhs2 added something at some point that prevents new accounts from doing certain things, to prevent botspammers from doing not nice things.

RealRed

Vismund Cygnus

Welcome back to Room of the Month!
Physix convincingly won last month's contest with some slick custom GFX:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Now, we have a whole bundle for this month, including one I forgot about for June (Sorry Klunk!)

[spoiler=Grimlock][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Hawntah][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Vismund Cygnus][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Retroo][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Mettyk25jigsaw][/spoiler]
[spoiler=heenok][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Secret Agent Klunk][/spoiler]

Git to voting, and don't forget to submit your rooms for August!

Hawntah

So many entries! There's never been a more exciting time to be a RotM voter :nod:.

I think I'll go with Retroo. Quite an interesting room, very nice-looking.

biospark

I vote Hawntah for obvious reasons :3

Quietus

Hawntah for me. My only grumble would be the repeating tiles and straight edges around the door tubes.

biospark

Quote from: Quietus on July 04, 2016, 05:28:09 PM
Hawntah for me. My only grumble would be the repeating tiles and straight edges around the door tubes.
That's how they look in the original game. Also, the camera never scrolls beyond two blocks from the edge.

Secret Agent Klunk

My vote goes to Retroo, because he can obviously use that specific tileset way better than I can. I have made many changes to my room since it got posted for room of the month, so my future submissions should hopefully look better than the one I submitted this month. But otherwise I think everyones rooms look awesome, except mine for obvious reasons.

TobiMikami

This one took a lot more thought than most months. In the end, I decided my vote this month goes to Grimlock. Creativity played heavily on my decision, Grimlock's room struck me as the most original, it didn't significantly remind me of any other video game, Metroid series or not. Although, it's always nice to see so much good work to create such a significant debate of choice.