News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MetConst Summer Contest: Race to the Finish!

Started by DSO, June 22, 2016, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSO

Metroid Construction Summer Contest:
Race to the Finish!

Time: June 22nd - August 31st

Theme: This Summer, the contest theme is racing. We're looking for some good quick plays, challenging tricks, interesting puzzles, and maybe even boss rushes. Whatever you want to throw in while working on a hack that's more about speed and performance than getting lost in a new world. The rules are very simple:

Rules:

• One eligible entry per contestant.
  • If Super Metroid, the game must be completable and go through the credits sequence. (either create an ending sequence or use Squishy's ending BTS blocks)
  • All collectable items must be visible (no collectable items hidden in scenery)

Suggestions:
Make your hack linear, minimize backtracking.
Put your ending sequence together early on, that way if your vision is too grand and you find yourself running out of time you can still throw things together and call it a day.
Hidden passages and shortcuts are ok. Forcing the player to play the 'bomb the random wall block' to progress at all is frowned upon.
Create readme with epic story nonsense
If special tricks are involved, mention them in your post or readme.

Judging:
Judging is very simple, what hack gave the subjectively best/most enjoyable play experience. Currently have five volunteers along with me.

Current contest judges:
DSO
T-A-U
Jordan5
Quote58
TheDopeFish
SlyPork
Vismund

This is meant to be very easy and simple with plenty of time to create an entry, so we hope to see a bevy of contestants this year. Submit links for your hacks in this thread between August 25th to 31st. All eligible entries must be posted by the end of August. Have fun hacking!

Quietus

I'd be tempted to add to the suggestions that entrants keep their difficulty relatively low, as the focus should not be on can I complete this hack, but how quickly can I complete this hack.

I'd also be tempted to apply JAM's Timer Change v2 patch, to change the game timer from HH:MM to MM:SS. I tried to get the link, but it wasn't cooperating. :neutral:

Good luck, people! :^_^:

personitis

I suppose it's worth a mention: if anyone has questions or is curious about how such a kind of hack plays out, check out both Grand Prix hacks.

I'll try and throw something together. I've got a bit of an idea for a theme.

Vismund Cygnus

SO MANY CONTESTS SO MUCH TIME

I HAVE THE BEST IDEA

PREPARE FOR #RECKAGE SCRUBS

Cpt.Glitch

Guess I should do things and get unlazy and effort and all that nice stuff.

DSO

So, we have 7 judges now and I took down the part about looking for more, cause I think 7 is plenty. Anyway, I know of two judges at least who are planning on submitting a hack, so one thing to note is I'm not barring judges from submitting or their work from being voted on, because I've bribed them all I think most of them are honest enough to vote for someone else if they feel that someone else made a better product. While I'm a #DictorialSiteOverlord, feel free to voice any concerns.

Daltone

Quote from: personitis on June 22, 2016, 02:12:27 PM
I suppose it's worth a mention: if anyone has questions or is curious about how such a kind of hack plays out, check out both Grand Prix hacks.

funny, the 'race to the finish' in super smash bros is the inspiration for grand prix.
someone make grand prix 3

personitis

I felt that the bumpers gave the inspiration away fairly obviously. :P

Lunaria

I will wreck this contest with the worst entry ever...., unless mst decides to make another slt title, that is.

Metaquarius

Mine is actually almost completed. I have yet to find a good name for this hack.

GET HYPE FOR CRUSHMENT!

Quietus

But you have six more weeks! More rooms - go, go, go! :grin:

MetroidMst

Six weeks? Sounds like I have time to make six entries.

personitis

Quote from: MetroidMst on July 19, 2016, 02:39:09 PM
Oh no. Please no. I still have bad memories from the last time this happened. No no no no no. :nowai:

Zero One

I dare you. I'll probably end up streaming it :V

MetroidMst

Unfortunately DSO included one small little detail of "only one eligible entry per contestant," which I'm kind of dumb so I don't even know what that means, but I imagine it's detrimental to my plans. However, getting Star Trek posted in this topic has made it all worth everything. . .

DSO

Simply take all 6 of your hacks and mash them into one, problem solved.

Quietus

So Little 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and Consistency. :wink:

Lunaria

How's the submission process going to be handled anyway? Since I'd assume they are all supposed to be released for the public on the same time?

DSO

Post a download link in this thread sometime before September 1st. Or you could submit it on the soon to be main site and pester someone like me to approve it and then post a link in here. I suppose in the interest of timing, I'm going to make the submission period be from August 25th to the 31st, so hold on posting if you finish it before then.

Lunaria

Cool beans, I'll just PM you a download link when it's done, because otherwise I might just forget to post it.

Quote from: DSO on June 22, 2016, 08:40:33 AM
Rules:

• One eligible entry per contestant.
  • If Super Metroid, the game must be completable and go through the credits sequence. (either create an ending sequence or use Squishy's ending BTS blocks)
  • All collectable items must be visible (no collectable items hidden in scenery)
So about that number 3... is that like, all items or just required ones? Because I'm making a shitty half hack and super metroid itself has items hidden in the scenery. (mostly just missile tanks that no one gives a shit about though...).

personitis

And as an additional question, are items in orbs considered scenery?

Grimlock

I think it's about time you pulled your sleeves up and knocked out a NEStroid hack!   :nod:  :bounce:

Since you'll be working with the awesome, awe-inspiring, magnificent 8-bit power house of the original NES system you can call it:

Drum roll

[spoiler]SLB - Such Little Bits [/spoiler]

The Monster of Surrealton