News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid Advance Game Editor (MAGE) Thread

Started by biospark, June 21, 2016, 06:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on June 22, 2016, 01:07:41 PM
It was in the Main Deck rooms 3 and 6 (mostly just the floor/wall/ceiling tiles though).
It might be because those rooms have transparency for BG0. It makes the room slightly darker.

QuoteHow do I make Data download rooms just give me items when I walk in the room?
That involves complicated asm.

passarbye

Quote from: biospark on June 22, 2016, 01:15:24 PM
It might be because those rooms have transparency for BG0. It makes the room slightly darker.
that makes sense now.

QuoteThat involves complicated asm.
if item = 0 then activate, else deactivate.

I get that it's a lot more complicated that that, but making any item downloadable would help when dealing with this archaic event system, which is why i asked. Ideally, I'd like to bypass the event system entirely (making anything possible within just about any room), or use the event system in an invisible way to the player. Say, for example, going through a door changes the event, or shooting a block, or using the nav/save/refill, etc.

in any case, what would be the easiest way to grant items?

biospark

Quote from: passarbye on June 22, 2016, 01:23:31 PM
if item = 0 then activate, else deactivate.
It's not that simple if you want to use more than one data room, since they all use the same sprite.

"Easiest" thing for you to do would be to learn asm :P
or wait for freedom.

interdpth

Quote from: biospark on June 22, 2016, 12:49:41 PM

QuoteYeah, can you at least change that functionality if the clip viewer is open?  :D
It works the way it does because if your last selection was made in the room, then it will just use the clipdata values of those blocks. I suppose I could put in an override options, so that you choose which clipdata to use.

I'll post a usage video later, but it would immensely help so that I can paint my clip after designing the room. Your way makes a lot of sense, but still want the freedom to just edit the clipdata as I need.

Flossychamp

I am currently having an issue with the connection editor. I have no idea what is wrong with it, as it was working before, but now it just isn't working. It states that the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" and it also comes coupled with this error text: [spoiler]See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
   at mage.FormConnection.FillAreaConnections()
   at mage.FormConnection.Initialize()
   at mage.FormConnection..ctor(FormMain main, Int32 tab)
   at mage.FormMain.menuItem_connectionEditor_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8689 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
mage
    Assembly Version: 0.5.6016.417
    Win32 Version: 0.5.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Cody/Desktop/mage.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8670 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8690 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8681 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8670 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8679 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
ro6nrwbr
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8690 (QFE.050727-8600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
[/spoiler]

This error started happening while I was trying to get doors to work, and for the most part, it was working fine, until this happened.

biospark

If possible, could you give me an ips patch? Also, was it fusion or zero mission? I'll see if I can find anything for now.

Flossychamp

This happened on Metroid Fusion. I was just screwing around in room 6 of the main deck. Also, I believe I did everything right, but I cant seem to get the green door that I added to work properly, even though it was working when I first added it.

biospark

Thanks, I found the problem. Also, you don't need to use the connection editor for doors in the same area. Just right-click the door, select "Edit door", and change the connected door. The area connections list is only for connecting two different areas.

There's multiple problems with your doors:
Each hatch must have a unique slot. You have two doors that use slot two. The clipdata behind the green door should be solid. Same for the door below, except that one is also missing door transition blocks. Also, the same door has hatch graphics on three backgrounds when it should only be on BG1.

I'll probably release a fixed version tomorrow.

Flossychamp

Thanks for the help. Amazing program, by the way. I'm already having a ton of fun with it, and i'm excited for what's to come.

Charmander106

I had been testing this editor with Metroid Zero Mission and I have been enjoying it! But I can across two things, one of them being major.

1. I have what passarbye has about air tiles not being updated until I refresh the BG by re-enabling the BG and disabling it. Annoying, but I can live with it.

2. I don't know how it happened, but I went to test the first room in the game after editing it and the room got corrupted. I can't even edit it now that editor keeps telling me it's corrupted. The only thing I did was edit the layout and moved the scrolls but that's it.

biospark

Quote from: Charmander106 on June 22, 2016, 05:32:40 PM
2. I don't know how it happened, but I went to test the first room in the game after editing it and the room got corrupted. I can't even edit it now that editor keeps telling me it's corrupted. The only thing I did was edit the layout and moved the scrolls but that's it.
Could you post an IPS patch?

jaysee87

Quote from: biospark on June 22, 2016, 01:08:33 AM
Quote from: jaysee87 on June 22, 2016, 01:00:35 AM
I can't access connection editor anymore.
But it was working before? What were you doing before it happened?

It works fine if I open an unaltered rom. Main thing I've been messing with so far is changing where all the doors lead and trying to mess with the event based connections. The rom I was working on with all the changes so far gives me the error, but I was able to get into the connection editor before it stopped working on that file. It was working one moment, then a few saves later, stopped working.

biospark

Quote from: jaysee87 on June 22, 2016, 07:43:32 PM
It works fine if I open an unaltered rom. Main thing I've been messing with so far is changing where all the doors lead and trying to mess with the event based connections. The rom I was working on with all the changes so far gives me the error, but I was able to get into the connection editor before it stopped working on that file. It was working one moment, then a few saves later, stopped working.
I believe it should work with the next version I release.

Flossychamp

Do you know how I could keep nightmare from flying through walls? In his first two phases he doesn't seem to care about the "stop enemy blocks" that iv'e placed to keep him from doing that.

biospark

Quote from: Flossychamp on June 22, 2016, 11:22:46 PM
Do you know how I could keep nightmare from flying through walls? In his first two phases he doesn't seem to care about the "stop enemy blocks" that iv'e placed to keep him from doing that.
You'd probably have to modify some code in his AI routine.

Flossychamp

So I'd probably need a debugger for that. I have a small amount of coding background but probably not enough to go through that process. I could probably change the shape and size of the room to fix that issue.

interdpth

Assuming you know this, but trying to change a compression type from 0 to whatever breaks the editor. I tried to enable a BG0 haha

Quietus

These aren't bugs, so I'll spoiler them, as I didn't want to forget, and I feel they'd be worthwhile additions:
[spoiler]Being able to move through a door by pressing a key on them. This seems like it'd be handy, especially when working on an area containing a few rooms.
Being able to increase the size of the tiles in the main editing window. The current window works, but things are quite small and fiddly.[/spoiler]

Also, is there a reason that viewable clipdata is hidden in a menu, rather than a tickbox like the others? I've already got used to the shortcut key, but it may be handy for others.

And in case any users haven't seen it: If you want to start a room from scratch, you can clear any layer under room options in the tools menu, or the button near the end, which looks like a page with a cog.

biospark

Quote from: Quietus on June 23, 2016, 11:56:33 AM
Being able to move through a door by pressing a key on them.
I actually have this on a list of ideas to consider that I didn't post here, so you may see that in the future.

Being able to increase the size of the tiles in the main editing window.
I don't think my code is written in a way that would allow me to do this easily, but I can look into a hacky way of doing it. I'm probably going to redo the gui in the future though.

Also, is there a reason that viewable clipdata is hidden in a menu, rather than a tickbox like the others?
There isn't anywhere to put it without making the main window less pretty.

Kazuto

Man oh man, I got excited for this as soon as I stumbled onto your Twitch feed of it.  =D  It's looking pretty awesome so far!

I was going to suggest the hotkey to enter doors (E?), but I see that's already on your list.  I will suggest that hovering a door in the object editor also show you what the destination room number is, though, so that you don't have to actually open the door editor to see where it's gonna take you.

On another note, if you try to add something that there isn't space available for, will the editor just not do it?  Because I was trying to add an event based room transition without actually removing any of the existing ones, and I noticed it wouldn't actually apply.  I'm assuming the table is already full in the location it's at, but I figured I'd mention it on the off-chance it was a bug.

biospark

Quote from: Kazuto on June 23, 2016, 10:40:44 PM
I'm assuming the table is already full in the location it's at, but I figured I'd mention it on the off-chance it was a bug.
I think it's a bug, and I already made modifications that hopefully fixed it. I'll release a newer version soon.

Hawntah

I haven't had much time to play with this, but so far it looks really nice. One thing I've noticed is that it doesn't play very nicely with windows DPI scaling. I have mine set to 125%, and everything looks blurry and stretched, it's most noticeable with the fonts. If I "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" in the file's Compatibility settings, it fixes the blurriness, but certain objects appear smaller than they should be, which I don't really mind, but unfortunately it also causes some unhandled exceptions in the minimap editor. Here's what it looks like:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Also, why is there no BG0 in that room?

biospark

Quote from: Hawntah on June 24, 2016, 01:12:28 AM
Also, why is there no BG0 in that room?
I haven't added viewing for certain "room effects" yet, like water. It's high on my list.

Hawntah

Quote from: biospark on June 24, 2016, 01:19:52 AM
I haven't added viewing for certain "room effects" yet, like water. It's high on my list.
Oh, I see, that's great. One more thing, are you planning to add a way to customise keyboard shortcuts?