News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Hi, I'm "new" here, also long story

Started by SavageWizzrobe, June 19, 2016, 06:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SavageWizzrobe

Hello MetConst!

Let me begin by explaining "new." I've been lurking since 2013, messing around with SMILE 2.5 and hex editing before deciding that I wanted to create a full hack of Super Metroid called "Super Metroid: Reimagined." The idea was to be authentic to the original but with a little more difficulty, subtle changes to the game mechanics, minor palette changes, and a new world map and item progression. I gave up after about a year and a half of working on it, at which point I finished every area in the game but Tourian and did all the custom coding I needed. Then, my hard drive died, and I took a year-long hiatus from hacking.

Fast forward to now. I recently found a backup ROM I had made on an old USB stick, and decided to finish the hack off once and for all. All my other files were gone (including my mdb and levelentries files), so I had to reconstruct them. I spent this last month doing this and also finishing the last of Tourian.

(TLDR) I worked on a hack, made a USB backup, lost everything on the hard drive, rediscovered the backup, finished the hack!

Wow, such a long story. I look forward to being here, after finally coming out of lurk mode!

passarbye

welcome to Metconst!

got any pics of your hack?

MollyAncalime

Ay now, you can't just tell us about this finished hack of yours and not post it, or even some screenies!  :wink:

But seriously, welcome to metconst, fam.

SavageWizzrobe

A video is worth a thousand pics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOyIc2cCkpE

EDIT: The video showcases the area around the landing site as well as some graphics and coding changes, namely

1) Modified ice beam mechanics. Weak enemies die in a single hit from the ice beam.
2) Variable pseudo screw attack damage (based on current beams equipped).
3) Kejardon's spinjump restart patch.
4) Space jumps can be restarted no matter how far you fall.
5) Modified Gravity Suit palette.
6) Minor adjustments to the equipment screen.
7) Doors open faster.

SavageWizzrobe

I also took some screenshots!

[spoiler]Crateria:

Brinstar:

Norfair:

[/spoiler]

FPzero

Those are some nice looking screenshots. The video was good too. You seem to have a very firm grasp on SM hacking. Since you said the hack is finished, whenever you're ready you should make a thread in the Completed Hacks forum for your release. I'm sure everyone here, myself included, will be happy to give you plenty of feedback and bug reports should there be any!

Retroo

I really like the original Super Metroid look this has, keep it up mate!

jewelediris

welcome "new" person, I also like what I see