News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Cliffhanger Redux

Started by Digital_Mantra, April 26, 2016, 04:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UDtheAesir

Quote from: Strokend on April 27, 2016, 01:42:29 PM
I don't want to play Super Metroid Kaizo here, just some regular challenges. Oh well, there are plenty of other hacks and there are plenty of people who enjoy the Kaizo level Metroid hacks.
Depending on reception an easy version may be made in the near future, although not likely unless it's pure hate across the board. Cheers for checking in.
[/quote]

This.

Hi, long-time lurker. Just felt I had to register to put in my 2 cents on this one.
I've played both versions of the first Cliffhanger games, found the normal one just beyond my skill level but the easy one was fun to get into. I'd really love to get into this new version as I enjoyed your previous hacks as you got really good level design and SMILE skills. Imagine my surprise at coming across the Bang enemies in Eris for the first time! That was fun!

Mini-Kraid

Well took the advice and got farther including
[spoiler] defeating Crocomire, gettin Pbombs, spring ball, finding Plasma of all things and even reserve tanks, also earlier found spazer but its outdated. [/spoiler]

Anyway ive wandered around the best I could and i am just wondering what ive missed since ive not found a way back into Eldridge at all and I think i've exausted all of norfair area that I can.

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 28, 2016, 12:01:14 PM
Well took the advice and got farther including
[spoiler] defeating Crocomire, gettin Pbombs, spring ball, finding Plasma of all things and even reserve tanks, also earlier found spazer but its outdated. [/spoiler]

Anyway ive wandered around the best I could and i am just wondering what ive missed since ive not found a way back into Eldridge at all and I think i've exausted all of norfair area that I can.

[spoiler]Investigate a really big Keruarn room with the castle. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then a smaller room with a castle.[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

[spoiler]So far got 50 missiles, 5 supers,Grapple beam and 5 E-tanks. I see my next destination is the norfair of this game to nab powers. Loving this so far DM. It's a fun hard that keeps me wanting to continue. Though i think an Easy mode would be nice for players that wanna play this hack but don't have the skills yet to play it. Do keep in mind everyone who wants an easy mode version this is a challenge hack that is supposed to be hard.[/spoiler]

Mini-Kraid

Mkay so I managed to whoop all the main bosses, find most of the powerups minus space jump, and hit a road block. 

[spoiler] I get the feeling that the lore consoles with their hints in the monolith room in crateria is the way to progress torian, yet I still cannot get back to the first part of Eldridge to see that last one.  [/spoiler]

Other than my issue at hand I found this to be far more enjoyable than the original Cliffhanger, and I think its very fun and rewarding overall.

Steel Sparkle

Sorry to bug ya guys but i need help once again.
[spoiler]I have 7 E-tanks,4 reserve tanks,90missiles,25 supers,15 powers,Grapple,Morph ball,bombs,Spazer,ice,Charge,Speed booster and it seems Spring ball is next on my list. Where can i find it? Thanks in advance. [/spoiler]

Daltone

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 29, 2016, 10:17:33 AM
[spoiler]I have 7 E-tanks,4 reserve tanks,90missiles,25 supers,15 powers,Grapple,Morph ball,bombs,Spazer,ice,Charge,Speed booster and it seems Spring ball is next on my list. Where can i find it? Thanks in advance. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]melfad via noobtube[/spoiler]

[spoiler]1:38, 36% this game begs for speedruns[/spoiler]

Mini-Kraid

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 29, 2016, 10:17:33 AM

[spoiler] You can find spring ball down the path in the power bomb tube close to the brinstar exit to the wrecked ship area.  [/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 29, 2016, 08:48:44 AM
[spoiler] I get the feeling that the lore consoles with their hints in the monolith room in crateria is the way to progress torian, yet I still cannot get back to the first part of Eldridge to see that last one.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler]It's a puzzle for sure, you aren't required to obtain Eldridge's to solve it though. DM[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Secret?[spoiler]Apologies if you don't like the suit color edits i do. After getting Spring ball,Varia and Plasma i came across this. Is it a secret room?[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Sorry for the double post but i found a perma stuck. On my way to get the High jump boots i found this perma stuck. guess im not supposed to be here yet.
[spoiler]The wall is just too high to jump over and the wall to the left is a dead end. This is in Melfad.[/spoiler]

Daltone

The problem is those awful suit pallets.

If you crouch and the jump you can get a little bit higher, also aiming down will push your feet up a little too.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Daltone on April 29, 2016, 06:48:56 PM

If you crouch and the jump you can get a little bit higher, also aiming down will push your feet up a little too.
I tried that it didn't work. It's just to high. i managed to get the boots (thank god for save states) and fight Draygon but still the spot next to it should be raised or one of those gates should be put there you can bomb to get more height.

Mini-Kraid

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 29, 2016, 07:00:13 PM

I tried that it didn't work. It's just to high. i managed to get the boots (thank god for save states) and fight Draygon but still the spot next to it should be raised or one of those gates should be put there you can bomb to get more height.

Daltone is correct.  I originally thought it was too high as well and that I effed up.  But it CAN be reached as he stated.  I also found in some cases doing the aforementioned tactic as well as at the very top of your jump morph and it might move you on top of the platform.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 29, 2016, 07:19:26 PM

Daltone is correct.  I originally thought it was too high as well and that I effed up.  But it CAN be reached as he stated.  I also found in some cases doing the aforementioned tactic as well as at the very top of your jump morph and it might move you on top of the platform.
Alright. I guess i did it wrong. Anyways i have everything but the space jump. any idea where it is?

Mini-Kraid

Quote from: Steel Sparkle on April 29, 2016, 07:33:03 PM
Quote from: Mini-Kraid on April 29, 2016, 07:19:26 PM

Alright. I guess i did it wrong. Anyways i have everything but the space jump. any idea where it is?

No idea, thats what im wondering where it is.  Been driving me up the wall lol

Charmander106

I'm having trouble with this room.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I can't figure out how you're supposed to get to the upper platform to get out of the room.

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Charmander106 on April 30, 2016, 12:13:11 AM
I'm having trouble with this room.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

I can't figure out how you're supposed to get to the upper platform to get out of the room.

[spoiler]Start at the bottom of the room on the right side.Run left and get a speed boost going then stop getting a shine spark charged on the left side. Run back to the right using the ramp to jump straight up to the platform and shine spark through it.[/spoiler]

Steel Sparkle

Beat it. Spoiler for thoughts and times and stuff.
[spoiler]Clear time:13:10
Items:96%
D-Mantra i think this was a wondeful hack and was plenty challenging and fun. The escape was tense having only 1:30mins and putting your skills to the test just put pressure on the player and i loved it. If i had any gripe about the hack it would be the location of the space jump seeing as it is needed to beat the game. I feel it's just a little too hidden. It's just a nit pick or maybe i just suck lol. Anyways great hack DM i look forward to more!
Rating: 5/5 [/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Thanks for playing glad you enjoyed!

Steel Sparkle

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on April 30, 2016, 05:42:44 PM
Thanks for playing glad you enjoyed!

*but you think you could remove that solution a post above? it's way too revealing to a puzzle i put lots of time and effort into. thanks*
I got rid of the message but only an admin can delete it if im right.

Digital_Mantra

It was just a bit early and not common knowledge yet is all.
Thanks again for playing it through to the end. :)

Mini-Kraid

[spoiler] I finally beat it!  8:23 with 82%.  I know I got lots of help (due to bein a dipstick and not looking hard enough) but I still enjoyed it, as well as I feel got better with some of the game's tricks.  Yes this game is harder than most in recent memory but I feel it incorporates them well.  It may not have the best pacing ever but its solid and deserves all the praise it gets.  Kudos to you DM! [/spoiler]

Digital_Mantra

Yeah for sure, it's designed to spruce players up to tricks. Kudos for playing MK