News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Mixxing mods

Started by Stephini, March 09, 2016, 04:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephini

Hi I'm trying to figure out how one would go about combining a graphical mod with a gameplay/story mod. Specifically I want to create a Hyper Metroid: Justin Bailey edition. Trying to apply both patches in either order seems to break the rom which I assume means both move something around rather than just replacing a hex value with an equally sized hex value. And since memory values are moved attempting to apply the second one without taking that into account breaks the memory addressing conciderably.

So I guess I have 2 questions.

• Am I understanding the cause correctly?
  • Is there a solution?

TheAnonymousUser

Your first problem is you're patching a headered patch (justin bailey) with an unheadered patch (hyper). First off, add a header to the rom in smile, then patch justin bailey. Remove the header, and patch hyper metroid.

Your second problem is there might be conflict when patching both hyper and bailey patches (each patch has their own different bits that overwrite parts of the rom and might break something in the process. That's the nature of rom hacking, unfortunately)

(question to mods: should this be moved to engine works?)

Stephini

Well that certainly helped. Thought it caused some graphical errors pre game and skips Ceres. Then there is the fact that she is wearing an april o'neil jumper instead of the bikini. Not a bad thing even it's kinda cool.

I found a topic where someone instead of double patching instead exported the justin bailey graphics and then manually added them to the other mods. How does one go about that? It seems the better solution.

TheAnonymousUser

Quote from: Stephini on March 09, 2016, 07:51:12 AM
I found a topic where someone instead of double patching instead exported the justin bailey graphics and then manually added them to the other mods. How does one go about that? It seems the better solution.
Use a program such as tile layer pro, open up both bailey rom and the rom to copy bailey into, look for samus' graphics (tlp seems to say the graphics start at offset DE000) (It also helps to export samus' palette from smile and load it into tlp to find the graphics easier), copy the graphics from justin bailey and paste them into your rom of choice. Save. ??? Profit.
(Not sure where samus's end game pose it located, though. Anyone know where that's stored?)

Quote58

Quote from: Stephini on March 09, 2016, 07:51:12 AM
Well that certainly helped. Thought it caused some graphical errors pre game and skips Ceres. Then there is the fact that she is wearing an april o'neil jumper instead of the bikini. Not a bad thing even it's kinda cool.

That's not going to change the 'april o'eil' jumper, because presumably that's just a palette problem. Hyper metroid does not use the same palettes as the justin bailey patch, so the gfx won't look right.

If you want it to look totally correct for her sprites, you'll have to also export her three palettes from a justin bailey rom, copy the gfx over, and then import those palettes into hyper metroid (this is more work than you'd think if you're doing it through smile. You could do it faster and easier through moving hex blocks around, but if you haven't done that before it'd require more effort).

Also, why on earth is this in the trading center???

begrimed

A longer but more certain solution would be to drag+drop the Justin Bailey graphics from one ROM to another with TLP, and then import/export the other special Justin Bailey GFX with SMILE (intro cut scenes, ending, etc.)