News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine

Started by Physix, February 07, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passarbye

Quote from: Physix on April 11, 2016, 12:20:22 PM
I'll worry about base tilesets when i'll have base tilesets to show. Most of the SM tilesets online don't have flipped tiles, and GM can't flip them in the room editor. It makes so many tilesets incompatible with my game. ..
open any tileset in an image editor, flip it horizontally/vertically, consolidate down to what you need. simple as that for any set really..  :neutral:

Altheaas

Wow! Remarkable work. I noticed in your Pushing/Beams that the Wave Beam had a very short range. I like that! I was never a huge fan of how by the end of Fusion and Zero Mission your beams passed through the entire screen, passing through every wall and enemy, and freezing everything, to boot.

That being said, I've noticed quite a few beams- Power Beam, Wave Beam, Ice Beam, Spazer Beam, Plasma Beam. But the HUD above only has 3 Beams visible, was that something that will simply cycle through?

Since people have brought up the concept of switching weapons on-the-fly as it is, I had an idea to shoot towards you. What about an "item select" button, as usual- only instead of just switching weapons on a button press (which it can still do!) when held, the button could open a "weapon wheel" of sorts, where one could select the Beam, Missile, Bomb, or Tool needed?

EDIT: Soooooooo... I checked out videos on your channel and you did this already. I now feel kinda dumb

Not trying to make things harder for you! I can't imagine how much work you've put into this, and how much more still needs to be done. I do hope you can find support within the community rather than bitter cynics unwilling to help in any way other than "do it yourself." While it may not be as hyped as AM2R, this project is arguably more important because you intend on making it open-source. This is the kind of thing that will help this community thrive. I hope people see that and recognize that goal is more important than whether or not assets have been asked for (because I'm sooo sure every hacker has asked Nintendo for permission to use their assets.)

Physix

Quote from: passarbye on April 11, 2016, 03:13:32 PM
Quote from: Physix on April 11, 2016, 12:20:22 PM
I'll worry about base tilesets when i'll have base tilesets to show. Most of the SM tilesets online don't have flipped tiles, and GM can't flip them in the room editor. It makes so many tilesets incompatible with my game. ..
open any tileset in an image editor, flip it horizontally/vertically, consolidate down to what you need. simple as that for any set really..  :neutral:
It has to be done for a lot of tiles within a lot of tilesets. It's more work than you think.

FelixWright

Rather than taking more space fabricating flipped tiles, and being unable to flip tiles in the room editor, why not design a GML feature that replicates some tiles and rotates them a particular way? These "virtual tiles" would remain either independent or dependent on the original tile to say "hey, rotate me this way"

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on April 11, 2016, 05:08:13 PM
Rather than taking more space fabricating flipped tiles, and being unable to flip tiles in the room editor, why not design a GML feature that replicates some tiles and rotates them a particular way? These "virtual tiles" would remain either independent or dependent on the original tile to say "hey, rotate me this way"

Because that'd require me to make an entirely custom room editor, which would involve me having to invent my own file type, method of loading/unloading all that stuff, designing a new interface, etc... It's horribly not worth. Tiles aren't flippable or rotatable in the current room editor, which is what makes them so fast to render. They're static to save processing speed. I have no choice but to make duplicates within the tileset itself.

Dark-SA-X

Quote from: Betatronic on April 09, 2016, 08:30:35 PM
I must disagree about people not working for free.

If he has a solid enough concept to present to people, it's very possible they'll be willing to join him in his efforts.

Hmm I fully agree with you on that matter, after being at another forum.
Seing great quality artist sprite makers to ask for payment, negotiate and seing disputes over little stupid shit..
It should stay as is, with an agreement written on paper that both partys agree to and have a admin look over it.
So yeah I want to see physix put his feet to the ground and make some good headway.
If zero joins him soon and backs him with positive feedback, then I'll believe his project will stand a chance to what others may say and be a success.

Physix

Menu is (mostly) done. Loading and saving is done. Still have to port over the subscreen options menu over to the main menu, which I really don't wanna do. It's just so fucking boring. Once I get past those obstacles, items/messages will be the next priority.

Fission Bombs:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Refined morphing anim:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Physix

Oh shit it's a double post!

But it's finally done!

PonchGaming

Looks pretty good Physix, but just a question: Where is the blood coming from?

Physix

Quote from: PonchGaming on April 28, 2016, 08:43:30 AM

It's called a hair band.  :rfk:

PonchGaming

Quote from: Physix on April 28, 2016, 08:48:10 AM
Quote from: PonchGaming on April 28, 2016, 08:43:30 AM

It's called a hair band.

Oh. Looks like blood. Anyways, looks good.

Physix

Added a third language:

Cpt.Glitch

That is going to be the best language.

Physix

Dying is done (with no "continue" menu planned).

The reserve tank animation feels and looks weird, but it gets the job done.

Physix

Bumping this. New source code link added to original post. Latest engine version, biggest dick growth guaranteed. It has all the newest sprites, menus, death, etc.

No exe because I'm downloading 50 SDK's and I have 0 bytes of disk space left oh my dick

PonchGaming

So not sure if this happens with everything but I pressed the Left Shoulder Button, then the Right Shoulder Button to change to missiles without having them, then the game crashed. Yay. Anyways, pretty nice

SChase123

Question: How do you get more items?

passarbye

which version of GM is this made with?
also, if you're still looking for better sounds I have a zip file of every sound effect from Other M.
Most should be usable, though I'm not sure you'd even want them considering the game's reputation. Just throwing it out there.  :yum:

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: passarbye on May 02, 2016, 01:39:53 PM
also, if you're still looking for better sounds I have a zip file of every sound effect from Other M.
Most should be usable, though I'm not sure you'd even want them considering the game's reputation. Just throwing it out there.  :yum:
I can confirm that it's made with GameMaker: Studio.

Also, it's funny you should mention Other M's sounds, as I already gave him all of the ones I had, which was a large .zip file containing almost all of them (I think it might actually be all of them).

SChase123

May I help you with the Spanish translation of this engine?

EDIT:
Here's what I have so far anyways: https://gyazo.com/4363e77277311406176db86a11cb5a50

Physix

Quote from: Scooterboot9697 on May 02, 2016, 01:46:38 PM
Quote from: passarbye on May 02, 2016, 01:39:53 PM
I can confirm that it's made with GameMaker: Studio.

Also, it's funny you should mention Other M's sounds, as I already gave him all of the ones I had, which was a large .zip file containing almost all of them (I think it might actually be all of them).

the baby

Altheaas

the baby.

Anyway this engine is seriously beautiful! You're awesome Physix. Keep up the good work!! :D I'm loving the morph and death animations. They're so smooth!

elol

hey Physix when I am in the first room  and want to move to another screen goes black and does not let me play what I do?

zephyrtronium