News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

MEngine

Started by Physix, February 07, 2016, 08:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makazuwr32

Quote from: Physix on March 18, 2016, 03:40:41 AM
Quote from: makazuwr32 on March 18, 2016, 02:47:37 AM
AN.T.I.:
Power Missle:
Deals Increased Damage in larger radius at cost of several normal missles. (works like micro power bomb).
Destroys Missle tiles in a radius. Can be charged with beam power:
Spazer - increased radius
Plazma - even more increased damage
Wave - Pass through tiles until hit Missle tile/ enemy
Ice - just aoe Freeze. maybe with diffusion as in fusion but only for enemies; can't destroy missle blocks with frost diffusion, only in a normal PM radius.

How would charging a missile work in practice? You charge up, switch from beams to secondary (missile), and the charge just stays there? Even without holding down the fire button? It sounds so awkward.
no. you just need only one selected beam (and others deselected as in Super Metroid) and choose "Power Missle". and then "Shoot ahead"! (i thought about this)
and add an item also that will allow to combine all beams into one (but not the beam powers for power bomb charge or power missles)

Physix

https://youtu.be/QBtThbGsLoQ

Finally done with the options menu. It hurt me physically to finish, but the subscreen is finally 99% done if you don't count all the logs.

FPzero

That is a really slick Options menu and Logbook.

FelixWright

Pretty sick man, when do you plan on making another release?

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on March 19, 2016, 08:45:43 AM
Pretty sick man, when do you plan on making another release?

Oh don't worry, that was just the in-game menu. See, there's a menu before that, and it's the even more painful one. The pain never ends bruh.

frozenLake

Alright, I think I came up with a concept for an upgrade of sorts.

If you have the speed booster and power bombs, select power bombs, and hold down the run button while standing in place, it could... potentially charge up a Short-Spark at the cost of a power bomb. This short spark would work like the current implementation of the Wave Combo, but break Speed Booster Blocks... So essentially its a Power Bomb Combo with the Speed Booster.

Another concept is upgrading Reserve Tanks to Give Missiles/Power Bombs if your energy is maxed out, so its a balancing act of what you really need, giving a reason to use the manual mode.

Physix

Quote from: frozenLake on March 19, 2016, 11:54:40 AM
Alright, I think I came up with a concept for an upgrade of sorts.

If you have the speed booster and power bombs, select power bombs, and hold down the run button while standing in place, it could... potentially charge up a Short-Spark at the cost of a power bomb. This short spark would work like the current implementation of the Wave Combo, but break Speed Booster Blocks... So essentially its a Power Bomb Combo with the Speed Booster.

Another concept is upgrading Reserve Tanks to Give Missiles/Power Bombs if your energy is maxed out, so its a balancing act of what you really need, giving a reason to use the manual mode.

I don't like the concept of these really hidden techniques. I have never pulled off a crystal flash in the original SM because I just cannot remember all of these arbitrary conditional statements and ammo counts and button inputs and whatever. Really, my PBomb combos are as far as that'll go. If I ever make crystal flash, the circumstances to pull it off would have to be a bit less "read-a-guide"-ey. Hell, maybe I'll make reserve tanks work that way. You lose all of your main energy, go into crystal flash animation, and let the reserve tanks refill your health. Just a thought.

frozenLake

Well, you are implementing a Logbook, so maybe those techniques could be documented in there? Just a thought.

SChase123

Quote from: Physix on March 18, 2016, 10:00:06 PM
https://youtu.be/QBtThbGsLoQ

Finally done with the options menu. It hurt me physically to finish, but the subscreen is finally 99% done if you don't count all the logs.
This maybe a harder feature to implement, but you should make it so you can change the graphics styles to those of GB/Atroid/NEStroid/Supertroid and you could maybe implement more upgrades too for more variety to the players/developers playing and/or using this engine.

Cpt.Glitch

SChase123

Quote from: Physix on March 05, 2016, 01:04:33 PM
Quote from: frozenLake on March 05, 2016, 01:00:17 PM
How difficult would it be to add multiple characters that control differently? (such as Zero Suit Samus, or perhaps a character from prime hunters)

I'd have better luck making my own game altogether.
Not unless if you have help from another game developer who's currently trying to make a 3D Metroidvania game in Unity for the Steam Greenlight because I'm full of ideas.

personitis

Quote from: SChase123 on March 25, 2016, 05:00:17 PM
This maybe a harder feature to implement, but you should make it so you can change the graphics styles to those of GB/Atroid/NEStroid/Supertroid and you could maybe implement more upgrades too for more variety to the players/developers playing and/or using this engine.
What is this, Super Mario Metroid Maker?

Physix

You won't believe me but I'm actually thinking about gutting the wall jump into Fusion-tier shit. Is that considered a sin? I just think I'd look cool with a more refined "kicking away" animation. pls no flamerino

SlyPork

Quote from: Physix on March 26, 2016, 03:47:01 AM
You won't believe me but I'm actually thinking about gutting the wall jump into Fusion-tier shit. Is that considered a sin? I just think I'd look cool with a more refined "kicking away" animation. pls no flamerino

As a fan of Fusion, I support you.

SChase123

Retroo

Mayo-chan

As long as you can still wall jump off one wall I think it'll be cool.

Actually, that gave me an idea. What if you walljump during a shinespark to rebound off that wall and keep the shine?

Physix

Quote from: Mayo-chan on March 26, 2016, 06:14:49 PM
As long as you can still wall jump off one wall I think it'll be cool.

Actually, that gave me an idea. What if you walljump during a shinespark to rebound off that wall and keep the shine?

How would you wall jump during a shinespark?

FPzero

https://youtu.be/_4BOgETYpJs

Like Kejardon did for his unfinished Insanity hack.

Physix

How does that look on a keyboard? Are the button inputs really precise?
I mean, the reaction time necessary seems absurd. Or is it automatic, in which case the player has less agency over it?

Scooterboot9697

Quote from: Physix on March 26, 2016, 07:05:47 PM
I mean, the reaction time necessary seems absurd. Or is it automatic, in which case the player has less agency over it?

Not sure about the video, but to actually make it practical would that you could only wall jump while holding a button (maybe the moonwalk button in this case), and it wouldn't matter when you start holding it, just that as long as it is held (and not holding it would make Shine Spark stop at a wall like normal). And I assume holding the button along with the angle up/down key would make Samus shine spark diagonally (this is kinda obvious).

FPzero

Quote from: Physix on March 26, 2016, 07:05:47 PM

The hack was never released in any finished state that included what was shown in that video but I'm thinking one way to handle it would be to hold down the Run button before you impact the wall, which would essentially make the shinespark charge itself as if you've just charged one on the ground. From there, you could push jump to bounce off the wall horizontally, or push Angle Shot + Jump to jump off diagonally upwards. I can't see much use for diagonal downwards but that might be possible as well.

Physix

FelixWright

Love them. Assuming only the second set is yours?

Physix

Quote from: FelixWright on March 27, 2016, 03:37:23 PM
Love them. Assuming only the second set is yours?

Well, one of the sets is a contorted monstrosity, one of them isn't!