News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Super Metroid Square Dimensions

Started by Hermi1988, March 05, 2015, 12:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermi1988

Hello,

I hope this hasn't been asked already:

How big would the dimension of one square of the map of Super Metroid would be? Like in Meter for example?

P.JBoy

Well, Samus is 1.91m, and her height is 48px. So each scroll is approximately 10.19m

Hermi1988

And does it really scroll at each square?  So 3 Squares on the map would be 30.x metre?

MetroidMst

A scroll is 16 tiles, so divide the 10.19m by 16 and you have your tile length/height

Hermi1988

I find that hard to believe. That would make ~0.6m. That would mean Samus is bigger than 3 Squares on top of each other. I think 10.19m sounds more reasonable as Size.

Zero One

If Samus is 1.9m tall, then a scroll is 10.19m. Each scroll is 16 tiles square. 10.19/16 = ~0.64. 0.64 * 3 (Samus is 3 tiles tall) = 1.92. Math checks out.

Quietus

Quote from: Zero One on March 05, 2015, 01:39:21 PM
If Samus is 1.9m tall, then a scroll is 10.19m. Each scroll is 16 tiles square. 10.19/16 = ~0.64. 0.64 * 3 (Samus is 3 tiles tall) = 1.92. Math checks out.
Exactly.  Unless there's something we're missing, or there's something you're not mentioning, it all seems to work out.

Hermi1988

I am afraid I mean something else, than you guys mean (I am not familiar with the naming convention)

I mean a square on the map like this (which is in its smallest version a small room, a save room for example)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywlmivpj7df30bw/smsquare.PNG?dl=0

MetroidMst

That is a scroll block, which is 10.19m

TheAnonymousUser

If you're asking how big a single map tile is (graphically), then it's 8 pixels by 8 pixels (most painting programs can/do go by pixels). As for how much a single map tile covers in game...well, I can only echo what the rest have said.

Edit/Add: Another thing is that each screen a map tile covers is made up of 256 tiles (16x16) (based off super metroid. GBAtroids have a smaller screen, so less tiles) Okay, forget any of that

Hermi1988

As mentioned earlier, 10.19 is the answer I was looking for. I just didnt know it is called scroll block ;-)

Thank you everyone!

Jordan5

The thing to consider is that when actually playing the game, you can't see all of the 16x16 scroll block - the visible area is actually 12x16 (two tiles are covered by the HUD, and two don't show at the bottom [pretty much, anyway])

Hermi1988

That doesn't matter for now. It`s about recreating the world in another engine. And I want to whitebox it first.

JAM

Quote from: P.JBoy on March 05, 2015, 12:58:49 PM
Well, Samus is 1.91m, and her height is 48px. So each scroll is approximately 10.19m
ORLY? Maybe you'll look better?

There are So Many Calculations above based on wrong parameter from the very beginning... And no one ever checked this. Shame yourself, everyone (a lot of facepalms are expected).

For the rest, yes, calculations are right.

Quote from: Hermi1988 on March 05, 2015, 03:39:27 PM
As mentioned earlier, 10.19 is the answer I was looking for.
And... this answer is wrong.

Height in pixels is 42.
Height in meters is 1.9 (or 1.91). I'll use 1.91.

So, in one pixel there are 0.04547619 meters.

Each block consists of 16 pixels.
So, side of each block have size of 0.727619 meters.

Each screen consists of 16 blocks.
So, side of each screen have size of 11.6419 meters.

Correct answer is ~ 11.64

The lesson is over. Everyone got the "F" grade. =)

Lunaria

Samus is not even standing straight up in that shot Jam, if you look at the pose. :P

Plus, that value for samus height, is that with or without powersuit?

Quietus

I was thinking the same thing, Crys.  When you first load in, Samus is face on, and appears to be 47 pixels tall.  Oh, what drama over a single square. :^_^:

JAM

Ah, yes, in that pose her height is 47 pixels. And I was using 42 for the G-Force calculation. Just because she only stand like that when loading the game and when riding the elevator and when entering/exiting her ship. That's why I used 42. That's her hight for the most of the game, but... shit. It that pose she is not standing still, that's right.

About the height, 1.9m should be with powersuit (as we know from dev's beta pics). So, her real height (without suit) sholud be between 1.8 and 1.85 meters (depending on width of power suit). I doubt it's that less than 2.5 cm.

[spoiler]
EDIT: Now you know how much I'm failing and what I'm writing while "I'm drunnk hahehuheehohi!!!1111onethousandonehundredeleven". But those new pics are still not transparent for me.
[/spoiler]