News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[Smile] Why are there powerbomb tiles in this screenshot

Started by Su, October 26, 2014, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Su

Oh hey I'm back again
So before I jump headfirst back in to hacking I just gotta ask something

...Why are these PowerBlocks by default? It makes no sense to me.
Can it be changed?
Forgive me if this has been answered already, but it isn't in the FAQ and searches didn't return any satisfactory results.

Retroo

doubleclick on the tile you want to change by defualt

personitis

If you double click on a tile in the tiletable (the part with all the tiles in the set), you can set the default property and BTS value for each tile. As some additional information, there are .val files somewhere in the SMILE folder that corresponds to each tileset. E.g. 1.val (if it's called that), is the default for graphic set 1, 2.val for graphics set 2, so on and so forth.

Su

Ahh, thanks so much guys! Next question - how do I get this little one in the middle here

to be an actual slopey kind of slope as opposed to a brickish kind of slope?

(I did look at the .val files in a text editor, but they were full of machine code. Is that normal?)

Quietus

Double-click, set the BTS to 12, and click 'OK'. :^_^:

Su

adskf; thanks so much Quietus!
I obviously need to read up on BTS values.

Quietus

Or double-click an existing tile with the properties you want, such as the other slope to the right. :heheh:

Jordan5

or in the BTS menu, click on the slope you want and the BTS value of that slope will appear at the top of the SMILE window :^_^:

personitis

Quote from: Dragon-Tamer795 on October 27, 2014, 08:02:02 AM
(I did look at the .val files in a text editor, but they were full of machine code. Is that normal?)
I wasn't referencing that you edit the .val file directly. Rather, I was making note that that's where the data is a stored and if for ever reason you want to backup or import the tiletable defaults, these are the files you'd do so with (though such a task isn't usually done to my knowledge).

In other words, additional knowledge that was mostly irrelevant to your original question.

RealRed

For future reference, Dragon-Tamer;
It's (very very very very) good practice to go through all of your tiles and set them to what you'd be using them for. It's a little bit tedious, but it'll save you a lot of frustration from making an entire room out of air blocks, or something awful like that.

Quietus

On a related note, it's a good idea once you've built a room to select 'Show type on map' while right-clicking some tiles, as it's a quick way to gauge whether there are any obvious holes in your build.  Essentially, everything should have a solid outer edge, and the rest should pretty much all be slopes, air, or doors, unless you've built something specific.