News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - Rogue Dawn

Started by Grimlock, August 02, 2014, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

Some 8-bit Ridley goodness, hot out of the Editroid oven.....

It's still an early build so it'll probably change some by the time the hack is released.  The tile set is coming along well, I wasn't convinced at first but I've been polishing it up over the last few days.  For some reason natural theme graphics come easy to me, the sci-fi techy stuff takes a little longer.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My crop job was a bit hasty, I'll probably replace this screenshot later, it's a little on the fuzzy side too.

EDIT:
Updated room:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

snarfblam

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Entroper

Wow! Looks amazing so far, great work. Can't wait to play it.

Grimlock

Thanks, if I can keep up the current pace with the graphics and level design it should be done in about 2 months or so.  After that I plan on devoting my full attention and efforts into pestering Snarfblam into finishing his hack!  :grin:

snarfblam

Quote from: Grimlock on September 07, 2014, 11:45:49 PM
After that I plan on devoting my full attention and efforts into pestering Snarfblam into finishing his hack!  :grin:
Maybe you can pester me with some custom GFX 

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on September 08, 2014, 05:09:15 PM
Quote from: Grimlock on September 07, 2014, 11:45:49 PM
After that I plan on devoting my full attention and efforts into pestering Snarfblam into finishing his hack!  :grin:
Maybe you can pester me with some custom GFX

Ok, I'm up for that, the pestering will commence as soon as Rogue Dawn is complete.

Grimlock

So I got the Tourian graphics just about done, it has to be one of the most alien NES graphics sets I've ever seen. Totally unlike any of the other areas.  I think I'm going to hold off on screenshots for now (sorry), I've already spammed the graphics for the other areas.  I don't want to spoil it.

Basically the core level graphics are pretty much done for the whole hack, minus changes I want to do to Brinstar.  Then it's sprites and animations to complete the final touches.

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Grimlock on October 03, 2014, 01:47:20 AM
So I got the Tourian graphics just about done, it has to be one of the most alien NES graphics sets I've ever seen. Totally unlike any of the other areas.  I think I'm going to hold off on screenshots for now (sorry), I've already spammed the graphics for the other areas.  I done want to spoil it.

Basically the core level graphics are pretty much done for the whole hack, minus changes I want to do to Brinstar.  Then it's sprites and animations to complete the final touches.
I can understand your unwillingness to show off the final area, just as I haven't shown off the last area for Sunshine so not to spoil the whole thing.
Anyway, everything for this is looking great, and given that I enjoyed Incursion as much as (if not more than) Metroid, I can't wait to see what's in store for us here.

Grimlock

Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on October 04, 2014, 05:19:41 AM
given that I enjoyed Incursion as much as (if not more than) Metroid, I can't wait to see what's in store for us here.

Rogue Dawn should surpass Incursion in pretty much every way.  I'm taking a pretty big creative risk on the final area graphics (and a few other concepts).  If it pays off everyone should have a lot of fun with it, otherwise it'll be a "WTF was that" reaction.  Sometimes taking risks pays off, other times you get the reaction like I got for the behind the graphics "maze" area in Kraid.  I didn't include anything like that in Rogue Dawn.  There is a maze like area but its an entirely different concept, one that a lot of people will hopefully enjoy. 

altoiddealer

Quote from: Grimlock on October 04, 2014, 09:52:01 AM
Quote from: Vismund Cygnus on October 04, 2014, 05:19:41 AM
given that I enjoyed Incursion as much as (if not more than) Metroid, I can't wait to see what's in store for us here.

Rogue Dawn should surpass Incursion in pretty much every way.  I'm taking a pretty big creative risk on the final area graphics (and a few other concepts).  If it pays off everyone should have a lot of fun with it, otherwise it'll be a "WTF was that" reaction.  Sometimes taking risks pays off, other times you get the reaction like I got for the behind the graphics "maze" area in Kraid.  I didn't include anything like that in Rogue Dawn.  There is a maze like area but its an entirely different concept, one that a lot of people will hopefully enjoy.
Incursion was pretty epic, so  :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Grimlock

I started polishing up my Brinstar graphics today....

Old - First build:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

New - Work in Progress:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

It's still a work in progress but I think it's a big improvement.

Quietus

The straight, vertical edges look a little plain.  Perhaps try them with the dashed lines, like in the horizontal ones?  Or maybe some other detail behind the first line.  Other than that, I agree that the room is much better. :^_^:

Grimlock

Yea, that's a good point, the wall graphics could use some work.  I reused some graphics that weren't originally intended to be used as walls.  I plan on redoing the bubble door tube as well.

MetroidMst

I have to credit you on making a room worthy of the NES. Today, you have not shamed and disgraced us. Though I have to ask, is that supposed to be a radiator on the right, and left in front of the door? I think they're supposed to be handrails, but they look like radiators.

Grimlock

Quote from: MetroidMst on October 09, 2014, 10:00:10 AM
they look like radiators.

LOL, what make and model are we talking about here?

Or do you mean these:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler](After several minutes of googling radiator images)
Aghh......MST..... Now you've gone and corrupted my brain into thinking they look like some kind of automotive grill, LOL  :mad: [/spoiler]

MetroidMst

The image is what I had in mind, though if I helped you have an eventful time looking at vehicle grills, I have done something good.

Grimlock

Some new screenshots:

I'm still polishing some of the graphics but everything in near final.

Brinstar:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Norfair:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kraid:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ridley:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

Oh man dat Kraid is so damn nice.
I especially like the contrast between the lush Kraid area and the sorta barren Ridley, though the graphic sets are quite similar. It's really well done, whether intended or not.  :^_^:

Quietus

If I'm being brutally honest, the tech stuff stands out as being not as good as the terrain stuff.  There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but the terrain stuff is just great. :^_^:

Grimlock

Yea, I get what you're saying Quitus.  Tech is tough in M1 and probably in general when it comes to graphics.  It's probably easier if you don't try to make it look like an actual "place" specifically.  I find the natural look comes easy to me, maybe if I do another hack in the future I'll focus primarily on that type of theme.  I've found that the tech theme requires at least twice as many tiles, even then you find yourself wanting to do more.  In the Brinstar area I've literally maxed out the number of 16x16 blocks possible (for building structures).  I do have some graphic ideas that didn't make it into Brinstar, specifically heavy use of black in the graphics to create more depth.  I did use some of this technique in Ridley.  As with everything dealing with the NES (8-bit) the problem is limitations.  Using the shadow technique eats up a lot of tiles so it still has to be used somewhat sparingly.  As far as NES goes I can't really list any game with tech graphics that tried to create a "place" rather than just a tech theme.  Mega man for example was just a tech looking theme, not so much a location like on a ship.

Tourian (not shown) is a natural theme, extremely alien looking, I'm curious how it will go over with everyone...

Grimlock

I think I've done all the polishing I can do on Brinstar.  I played around with the palattes and tweaked some more structures & tiles.  I don't think there is much more I can do other than ask Snarfblam if he can add some fancy ASM to increase the graphics from 8 bit to 16 bit.

The only thing I might change is the bubble tube:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

EDIT: Here's the original unpolished work I did a few months ago:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

mrrichard999

Looking sharp! Can't wait for the release :)

Grimlock

Thanks, what do you think of the bubble tubes, I'm not so sure...  the palette might change, then again I might scrap it.  You're actually a villain in this hack, not Samus, and we all know villains like evil looking bubble doors, that was my thinking on the puckered up look, more of a evil look to go with the theme of the game.  I'm on the fence with the tube though, whatever I do I only have 6 tiles to work with, everything else is used, mainly due to text tiles and structures.

snarfblam

Personally, I think something more along the lines of Demick's doorway tiles would look better.

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on October 17, 2014, 06:20:19 PM
Personally, I think something more along the lines of Demick's doorway tiles would look better.

I think I'm going to play around with the graphic some more.  I guess if the only thing I'm worrying about right now is a door tube I'm in good shape.