News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - Rogue Dawn

Started by Grimlock, August 02, 2014, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimlock

Snarfblam, the breakable blocks in Tourian appear to behave like solids.  Do you think it would be safe (bug free) to go ahead and use the breakable tiles as solids?  The extra tiles for general area construction could really help in adding a more detailed look (Since the final boss eats up so many tiles).

snarfblam

The breakable block tiles in Tourian are used for zebetites. As far as I know, if there is not an associated zebetite object in the room, they simply act as a solid block. A quick test seemed to confirm this.

Grimlock

With the completion of Tourian I'm now working on polishing up the graphics and level design of the various areas.  Really this is the part I enjoy most.  I had a few extra hours today so I spent some time with the Norfair area.  I'm still going to give it some more work but here's some new screenshots for fun of it:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

MetroidMst

Everything must be blue! I also like, what I am assuming anyway, are bones in the first picture. Piles of bones are always welcome.

Grimlock

Yep, it's all about the blue these day's!  Those are indeed bones, of the alien variety.  I added a few more next to it after taking the screenshot. 

Grimlock

The game is now 100% playable from start to finish.   :cheers:

On to the first round of Beta testing!  :grin:

crazyal02

here comes the other 90% of development

passarbye

Still can't wait for this one, pics look great!

Grimlock

Update on Rogue Dawn development:

We are currently working on changing the ROM mapper from MMC1 to MMC3 which will double available memory.  All previous memory limitations will be a thing of the past.  Basically that means highly detailed environments, greater memory availability for ASM code, more memory available for music creation, and much more.

With the jump from MMC1 to MMC3 the projected completion date will be pushed out to the first quarter of 2015, hopefully February but March is a possibility depending on the time required to complete the transition.  Snarfblam will also be updating Editroid to work with the new mapper so there will be some additional time requirements there.

In the mean time I'm actively working on the level design and graphics as well as planning where I want to take the level design with the freedom the memory increase will offer.  I've had to make several compromises due to the previous memory limitations so it's pretty exciting to have the opportunity to go back to the original design plan and make it happen.

Quietus

I give it a week before you're complaining about hitting the new limit. :heheh:

snarfblam

I've gotta say... I've already expanded the ROM twice and roughly doubled the available space each time, and each time I thought that I was making more than enough space. Maybe I should start preparing for an MMC5 expansion right now.  :O_o:

Grimlock

Quote from: snarfblam on December 12, 2014, 05:38:55 PM
Maybe I should start preparing for an MMC5 expansion right now.  :O_o:

Hmmm, see now you've planted a seed...  :grin:

EDIT:  In all seriousness MMC3 should be more than enough considering how far MMC1 went.  I think with your final MMC3 expansion we'll have the ultimate M1 hacking platform.

Qactis

Quote from: Grimlock on November 04, 2014, 10:23:54 PM
I spent some time with the Norfair area.  I'm still going to give it some more work but here's some new screenshots for fun of it:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Grimlock

Production of Rogue Dawn is picking up again.  Snarfblam has his latest version of Editroid (4.0) nearly complete.  I'm currently working with a pre release version expanding on the level design and graphics.

Expanded Norfair - Work in progress:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Update:
Same room with a pinch of evolution:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Stinktier

Neat stuff, can't wait to try it out! Great news on 4.0, too  :^_^:

mrrichard999

Hey maybe with all this expansion & the possible Kid Icarus code that could be implanted into Metroid, maybe it could be integrated into Rogue Dawn :D

snarfblam

I'm not very convinced that it would be practical to insert Kid Icarus code into Metroid. Although the the games share a certain amount of code, there is enough of a difference between them that it doesn't really help you. Even the common code will appear at different addresses. If you're going to put enough effort into it to make it work, you might as well be writing a new boss from scratch.

mrrichard999

As far as the expansion to MMC5 and making more room, could there be a chance of actually creating another level section though? Maybe One in between Tourian and where you shoot the Ridley/Kraid Head to go further? That would be phenomenal! :D

Grimlock

Quote from: mrrichard999 on March 06, 2015, 06:04:57 PM
As far as the expansion to MMC5 and making more room, could there be a chance of actually creating another level section though? Maybe One in between Tourian and where you shoot the Ridley/Kraid Head to go further? That would be phenomenal! :D

(You must have hacked my design notes  :whoa: ) We are planning on potentially 3 additional sub areas at the moment.  The sub areas will have new graphics, music, and a few surprises.  Currently there will be 2 for sure but depending on how they work out there could be more.

mrrichard999

Quote from: Grimlock on March 06, 2015, 10:29:56 PM
Quote from: mrrichard999 on March 06, 2015, 06:04:57 PM

(You must have hacked my design notes  :whoa: ) We are planning on potentially 3 additional sub areas at the moment.  The sub areas will have new graphics, music, and a few surprises.  Currently there will be 2 for sure but depending on how they work out there could be more.

Your going to make this awesome hack even more better!?  This is worthy of an award from this site :) I'm also looking forward to this new release of Editroid as I am sure you and Snarfblam are bouncing all sorts of ideas back and forth!

snarfblam

You'll have to forgive me for the molasses-grade progress so far, although right now I am making steady progress on the editor and ASM. But, yes, MMC3 does make a lot of things much easier to implement, so there will be some cool new doodads in 4.0.

Zephoras

This is freaking amazing, keep it up guys.

Grimlock

Post #1 has been updated with some new screenshots (Including shots of the new area).  I also updated the storyline info (Based on a post I made at romhacking.net).  :grin:

RT-55J

Quote from: CreditsMusic: Optomon

My hype level, which was already through the roof, is now practically stratospheric.

Grimlock

Quote from: RT-55J on April 12, 2015, 10:06:40 AM
Quote from: CreditsMusic: Optomon

My hype level, which was already through the roof, is now practically stratospheric.

He's got some pretty cool stuff on his Youtube channel:

https://m.youtube.com/?#/user/Optomon

EDIT:  Try this one, for some reason copying the address on my tablet didn't work out right (Thanks for pointing the bad link out Odb718)

https://www.youtube.com/user/Optomon

Him and M-Tee have a pretty impressive project by the name of "Pyronaut" in the works.