News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - Rogue Dawn

Started by Grimlock, August 02, 2014, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirteen1355

Quote from: Grimlock on July 20, 2016, 09:54:49 AM
I haven't put together the text for the final storyline draft yet though I have finalized it for the most part.

So, are you going to inform us of that final storyline, or do we have to play the game for that?

Grimlock

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on July 24, 2016, 12:39:34 PM
Quote from: Grimlock on July 20, 2016, 09:54:49 AM
I haven't put together the text for the final storyline draft yet though I have finalized it for the most part.

So, are you going to inform us of that final storyline, or do we have to play the game for that?

I'm fine tuning the storyline so I'll update at our upcoming release.  A readme file will be included as well with the storyline and various information about the hack.

Thirteen1355

Nice!

I will play the game immediately as soon as it's out!

Steel Sparkle

Been on sort of a metroid hiatus. Been waiting for a new hack to come out. Been following this one like others for a while. looking forward to this.

Thirteen1355

How many abilities will be in Rogue Dawn?

Grimlock

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on August 02, 2016, 07:38:45 AM
How many abilities will be in Rogue Dawn?

What do you mean by abilities?  Item pick ups?

Thirteen1355

Quietus

Can you also tell us how many jumps are in it, how many doors I'll need to go through, how many enemies there are, and how long the credits are. I'm also keen to know the colours you're using, how many tiles there are per room, and their placement, how many times I'll need to shoot, and whether there'll be any required backtracking. That way, there's absolutely no need to play it whatsoever. :neutral:

Jokes aside, would people not prefer some surprises? :O_o:

Thirteen1355

No surprises, as a new canon needs to be formed with Rogue Dawn. I wonder how the Space Pirates are able to equip Dawn with stuff like the Morph Ball, Screw Attack, Speed Booster etc.

Quote58

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on August 02, 2016, 11:32:59 AM
No surprises, as a new canon needs to be formed with Rogue Dawn. I wonder how the Space Pirates are able to equip Dawn with stuff like the Morph Ball, Screw Attack, Speed Booster etc.

This makes absolutely no sense.
Regardless, would you have wanted to know how many items there were in Super Metroid before it came out? It's a series about exploration, so how about he doesn't spoil the thing we play the game to find out eh?

Thirteen1355

Not how many. Just a preview of what to expect. I don't need to exactly know how many items there are. I just want to know which items are in this game.
I think it's pretty hard to include Speed Booster, so I assume that won't be in the hack. But maybe I would be surprised...

DonnyDonovan

I think he just wants an idea of some items that made the game that aren't available in the original NES game.   Seems like a reasonable inquiry, but, please put the answer in spoiler tags should you choose to respond.

Grimlock

I think all of the items have been discussed in earlier thread posts.  Also the first post has info on the items as well.

Thirteen1355

Ah, alright. I asked too quickly.

THEORY: Sylux is Dawn Aran.

Another question:
Does the game take place when the Space Pirates already are under the control of Mother Brain?

Or is Mother Brain still benevolent?

Grimlock

So I'm working on my readme file right now and I tallied up the total count of unique screens in the ROM:

The Original Metroid had 188

Rogue Dawn total unique screens:

Drum roll:
[spoiler]726 unique screens  :whoa: [/spoiler]

Note: Many of the screens in the original Metroid were spammed multiple times throughout the game.

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on August 03, 2016, 06:16:45 AM

Another question:
Does the game take place when the Space Pirates already are under the control of Mother Brain?

Or is Mother Brain still benevolent?

Answer: Unknown

Thirteen1355

Unknown?
Interesting... :nod:

The amount of rooms in your hack is just insane!

Does anyone here know how many rooms Super Metroid has?

Grimlock

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on August 08, 2016, 09:20:09 PM

Does anyone here know how many rooms Super Metroid has?

That's a good question although I'm not sure you can really compare the two, SM is more about full rooms than screens.  I am curious though how many rooms it has, I'm sure it's still much larger than RD.

Thirteen1355

Pff, how about...

1500?

Just a bet.

Jordan5

I believe it's around the 220 mark, although that's probably not quite right.

biospark

Do you know the total number of screens for the original and Rouge Dawn? Would be interesting to compare the percentage of unique screens out of total screens.

Grimlock

Quote from: biospark on August 09, 2016, 02:12:12 AM
Do you know the total number of screens for the original and Rouge Dawn? Would be interesting to compare the percentage of unique screens out of total screens.

I'm not sure exactly, I'm going to count next time I have Editroid open.

Thirteen1355

How difficult is this game gonna be?

I just tried Super Zero Mission, and if this hack will be as difficult as that one, I'm not going to make it to the end.

Is it about as difficult as Super? Or as the original Metroid?

Grimlock

Quote from: Thirteen1355 on August 10, 2016, 07:42:12 PM
How difficult is this game gonna be?

I just tried Super Zero Mission, and if this hack will be as difficult as that one, I'm not going to make it to the end.

Is it about as difficult as Super? Or as the original Metroid?

(Dang, I had a whole reply written (on my tablet) and I just nodded off for a second and clicked the back button effectively tossing my reply into the digital oblivion)

Anyway it's between Metroid 1 and Super Metroid.  I decreased the difficulty some after the last round of play testing, it's difficult for a level designer to judge difficulty as it relates to others without getting ample feedback.  I think it's in a good spot right now, we'll see though after the next play test.  If you can beat M1 and SM you should be fine.

Thirteen1355

Ah, I never played the original, and I don't plan on playing it anytime soon. I think Super Metroid is a bit too easy later on,  though.

I should be alright.

A Dummy

A snippet from the first post

[spoiler]
· Wavy Ice beam
· Wall jump - New Item
· Spring ball (jump while morphed) - New Item
· Morph while in air[/spoiler]

So again, yes this does have items and abilities that weren't in the original game.