News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

SM Screenshot Mini-Game

Started by Metaquarius, April 21, 2014, 05:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metaquarius

MINI-GAME TIME ! Test your knowledge of Super Metroid !

In the following 3 screenshots, there're two inconsistencies, stuff not possible in normal gameplay without hacking or cheating. Person who finds all the errors is then allowed to post his screenshots and continue the game. (or let someone else do it) Please, put your answers in spoiler brackets to let other people have a chance to find them on their own. Have fun !

ROUND1

Smiley

[spoiler]1. Mega-shoulders missing, and those enemies can't be there.
2. Crystal flashing, even though Samus doesn't have enough super missiles. Also, health should be below 50.
3. The elevator to Lower Norfair has been visited without power bombs. The second thing... hmm... uhh... ehh... AHA! There's only one inconsistency there! Right?[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

@SMILEuser96 : Good :yay:
[spoiler]The 3rd screenshot has really two errors, not one. Besides, for the 2nd one, you're missing one error since crystal flash can be triggered with 50 health exactly  :wink:[/spoiler]

Crashtour99

[spoiler]
2nd pic: the light on the gate indicates that it should be in the down position, meaning Samus is CF-ing inside the gate.
3rd pic: if it's the first time being in Crocs room, then the minimap shouldn't be displaying at all.

Dunno if these are the correct answers, but I figured I'd give it a guess.
[/spoiler]

Vismund Cygnus

[spoiler=Guessing for lols]
1. No shoulder pads on the varia suit, and those Novas shouldn't be there at all.
2. Samus has less than 10 Supers and is crystal flashing, and that Fune(?) should be dead, given that Samus just laid a power bomb.
3. Samus doesn't have power bombs but has visited Lower Norfair (may have copied Smiley for this one  :heheh:)
I really can't spot that second error though, unless it's as crashed said, and this is the first visit to Crocomire in which case there should be no minimap. Unless we're talking noob strats, in which case HOW DID SHE GET THERE WITHOUT GRAPPLE?  :lol:
[/spoiler]

Quietus

[spoiler=Pic Three]Grapple blocks are upside down. :^_^:[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

[spoiler]
Pic 1: Enemies misplaced, Varia Suit GFX are 'off'
Pic 2: CF inside gate, and CF without 10 Supers
Pic 3: LN Visited without PBs, same for Crocomire's room (Speed Booster and PBs required to get there), and as Quietus mentioned, Grapple Blocks are upside-down (3rd error?)

Edit: Forgot you can GGG to get in Crocomire's area...

craighypheno

Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on April 22, 2014, 08:09:04 AM
[spoiler]
Pic 3: LN Visited without PBs, same for Crocomire's room (Speed Booster and PBs required to get there), and as Quietus mentioned, Grapple Blocks are upside-down (3rd error?)

[spoiler]It is possible to enter Crocomire's room without PBs, with the Ice Beam and some wall jumping to get the Wave Beam[/spoiler]

Quietus

Quote from: craighypheno on April 22, 2014, 08:28:05 AM
Quote from: M1CR0H4CK3R on April 22, 2014, 08:09:04 AM
[spoiler]

[spoiler]It is possible to enter Crocomire's room without PBs, with the Ice Beam and some wall jumping to get the Wave Beam[/spoiler]
[spoiler]You don't need the Ice Beam either.  Go via the bubble room, grab Wave, back to bubble, out the bottom left-hand door, through the wave gate, and drop down. :^_^:[/spoiler]

FreeSci

But then, he said, without hacking or cheating. So no early wave beam for you, sir.

Quietus

Wall-jumping is hardly cheating, since it's an intended function of the original game. :cool:

By 'cheating', I presume that Metaquarius meant things such as infinite health or enabling powerups from the start.

Smiley

So here are my collective answers:
[spoiler]1. No mega-shoulders; Novas can't be there
2. Crystal flashing without enough supers; wallface should be dead from Power bomb (the light on the gate only indicates if the gate is currently moving)
3. LN visited without Power bombs; grapple blocks are upside down[/spoiler]
Am I right? Is anyone right? Or is everything wrong, and it's all just a lie?

Retroo

[spoiler]the shoulder things is gone and grapple block upside down this is what i found[/spoiler] this was fun now i want to make one myself  :^_^:

Scyzer

[spoiler]
In the Crystal Flash pic, it is not known when in the CF this pic was taken. The Supers may have already been deducted, but that means Samus' energy would be much higher than 50. So the answer could be that Samus either didn't have enough Supers to start the CF, or that the CF isn't restoring Samus' energy.
[/spoiler]

Metaquarius

Quote from: Quietus on April 22, 2014, 10:11:32 AM
By 'cheating', I presume that Metaquarius meant things such as infinite health or enabling powerups from the start.
Yep, I meant using cheats codes and exploit/glitches.

And we have a winner : SMILEuser96 ! Congrats to Vismund and Quietus who found the remaining errors. And Scyzer is right, we can have two possible explanations for the CF in the 2nd pic. So I guess it's SMILEuser's turn unless he would rather hand over to someone else.

Lunaria

The grappling blocks being upside down didn't even phase me. IIRC, that actually happens in certain rooms.

Digital_Mantra

Good and fun game, but chances are, Meta you'll have to post another 3. Continue the fun, let us cross out more.

Metaquarius

Well, I have a few more pictures handy so if no one is against that, I'll post them to keep the thing going..... any objections ?

Quote58

I think it's a good idea for you to go another 1 or 2 more rounds until people are more used to it. I agree though, it's a fun game and I think little mini games like this are a great idea for the community :)

Quietus

Yeah, I'd just go ahead and post more.  Anybody can post theirs at any time, if they feel they have a good one.

In the meantime, I'll just plonk this here, since it's what popped in my head when I first saw the thread:

:wink:

Jordan5

well worryingly samus appears to have wood :lol: that along with the pipe boots is all I can see. I guess you probably put something subtle in there as well?

Quietus

Nah. :^_^:
[spoiler]They're long-running jokes within the Super Metroid hacking / speedrunning community - Wood Beam and Pipe Boots (along with the Green Chozo Room behind Crocomire).[/spoiler]

M1CR0H4CK3R

[spoiler]1st pic: No raining in Landing Site with no power bombs collected; couldn't find the other. :(
2nd pic: right NOMI is out, but shouldn't be, as the block he spawns under hasn't been shot out; screen above hasn't been explored, but PB blocks below are still there
3rd pic: looks like you modified the grapple beam GFX; the KAMER is 2 tiles lower than standard

That's what I found.[/spoiler]

Edit: oops, thanks Quietus

Quietus

Quote from: Metaquarius on April 21, 2014, 05:05:21 AMPlease, put your answers in spoiler brackets to let other people have a chance to find them on their own.
:heheh: