News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Metroid - Dark Alliance

Started by Digital_Mantra, April 10, 2014, 12:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digital_Mantra

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1980/

Ok so it's a Blaster Master hack with M1 gfx.
How FUCKING awesome is that?! It's LUSH.

BM and M1 combined is like if the two most beautiful people on earth fucked, and had a baby that was humanities last hope.

Digital_Mantra

Just finished area 5 and have to say that this is amazing.

The level design and Metroid franchise bosses, the ladders as elevators, the ability to play with endless lives (no continue screen or title screen),
not having to farm for hover cause you have it at all times, enemies, etc..  really solid hack that feels legit.

A few palette issues but nothing that bothers me. Try this out.

Grimlock

I downloaded the patch, I'm going to give it a try.

Lunaria

This should really not have gone in the nestroid forum considering it's a blaster master hack. :V

That being said, this hack might make blaster master more interesting for me. I really like the tank sections in the original but the overhead sections were pretty shitty IMO. :/
(Funnily enough, that's the same problem the wii sequel have.)

RT-55J

I beat the boss of area 1 and made my way to area 2, and then decided to farm for weapon upgrades in the overhead sections. This is farther than I have ever gotten in Blaster Master (probably because I finally figured out how to strafe and use subweapons).

I was almost afraid that I got permastuck early on, but nope. The water physics are just awful, nothing more.

The background graphics look relentlessly ugly so far. I do like how Metroid 1 looks, but it at least had the decency to have more than two tiles per tileset (seriously, area 2 so far is like "eewww..."). If they did an updated version with a revised graphics, it would be phantasmagorical. As it stands, it's just "good."

EDIT: I've beaten area 2 and found area 3. This is good. Play it.

snarfblam

Oh my, how did I overlook this? Imma check dis out tomorrow.

pacnsacdave

@Digital_Mantra Thank you so much for posting on here about my hack! It's nice to see someone appreciate the hard work I put into these hacks! I only have one question... What palette issues are you having? I only ask because almost every level design and palette color was taken directly from Metroid.

Digital_Mantra

Wouldn't really call it palette issues, perhaps it was just the occasional 'oh look, boring looking area'.
I understand that you did use the gfx and palettes from M1, I guess it's limiting when Metroid was a few areas less than Blaster Master.
Which brings me to area 6. Could have used some M1 tiles, however I'm guessing you ran out of original M1 gfx and just went with the ice shards.
Area 8 was genius, and a bitch to navigate. But rewarding when you happened on the right path.
Very solid, was a fresh take on Metroid. Thanks for making it!

pacnsacdave

Gotcha! Thanks for your feedback. It really means a lot! And you are absolutely right, I didn't have enough sprites to keep all of the levels different. On level 2 i was trying to use super metroid tiles and it kind of turned out boring looking and ugly. And level 6 was a last minute "I'll leave it as an ice themed level" decision. But, I was cool with the couple of levels being that way, because I was working so hard to make those bosses cool. I hope you enjoyed the hack! And thanks again for all of your feedback!