News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

My Unreal Engine stuff!

Started by Zero One, March 08, 2014, 12:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero One

A single-ray trace is pretty light; that one is firing every frame. But since I want to trace to multiple lights from multiple parts of the body, you're right, that'll become a bit costly, considering that doesn't even include traces from the AI to the player. However, the player won't need 60 sets of traces every second, so I'll only be doing them roughly every half second.

Quietus

That's probably more practical anyway, since any enemies are likely going to have a time before reacting to seeing you.

Zero One

Started my next University assignment; this time creating the prototype of a game, based around a design document we had written earlier. So, obviously, I went for an First-Person Adventure done in Unreal, and here's what I've spent the past 3 days on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8lopZ1s8Z4

This demonstrates simple health and armour pick-ups. The player has a small maximum of 100 health and 100 armour. However, the health vials, armour shards and then the super-health/armour are able to go over that maximum, to a total of 200. The HUD also updates to reflect this, which displaying a pick-up message, defined in the blueprint of each pick-up. And the pick-ups were modelled by me, with currently only one of them having a texture.

So far, this has been pretty great. Because it's supposed to be a prototype, it's being done using Blueprint as opposed to C++, so I'm getting some practice with that. I've also clearly been working my way though the particle editor, and achieved some pretty nice effects. This project has been uploaded to my GitHub, where you can grab it for yourself. Requires Unreal Engine 4.11.

Quietus

I'd say the keg and the hazard suit could have their light effect toned down. At the moment, the item itself is completely overwhelmed by it.

Zero One

Yeah, I'll likely end up doing that at some point. Just need to think of a particle effect that could replace it.

Currently, working on what is effectively Prime's Space Jump Boots.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipwG1VgTnY

Space Jump Boots are now in! I also improved the player's air control. The defaults were a bit too restrictive for the movement style I'm going for.

Quietus

Hehe, there's only one boot, so I now have comic visions of some marine in armour being able to double-jump, but only with one leg. :lol:

Zero One

I'm on a roll with this shit right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g5qSL3FNMQ

The player has a default inventory of a projectile weapon and a hitscan weapon, and the player is able to switch between the two of them. The hitscan is a bit off in the video, but I tweaked it in UE afterwards and fixed that. Next step will be to have weapons be something the player can pick up, and then move on to an ammo system.

I'm thinking after this, videos will probably be less frequent as the game will start to get more complex, but it should be fun!

Zero One

New project: UQuake! Quake, but in Unreal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWCgjKJBJU

Currently, I'm working only on the elements that appear in E1M1, as that's the part I'll be wanting to remake first. That means a couple of enemies, some pickups, and 4 weapons: Axe, Shotgun, Double-Barrelled Shotgun and the Nailgun. So far, I've been working on the weapons, and I've got the Shotgun, Double-Barrelled Shotgun and the Nailgun all functional, with the Axe coming next.

The weapons function as they do in Quake: the Double-Barrelled Shotgun consumes 2 shells per shot, but will fire out of one barrel if there's only one shell left. The nailgun will alternate between which barrel it fires from. This is also entirely done in C++, and it's been great! I haven't hit any major hurdles that I couldn't solve within a decent amount of time, which is a far cry from where I started, with absolutely no idea how any of it worked.

If I can get through E1M1 to a good standard and I'm happy with the result, I fully plan on continuing on through the rest of the game.