News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Axiom Verge

Started by AxiomVerge, July 28, 2013, 11:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero One

I've been playing a load and I absolutely love it. Yet to finish it because I accidentally played 40 hours of Dragon Age: Inquisition in about 4 days, but it is such an amazing game.

snarfblam

For me, this falls into the rare category of games that I want to play again as soon as I beat it, and then maybe again. It really is outstanding.

Narpas Sword

Found the red coat. Now the real fun exploring begins!  :grin:

Digital_Mantra

Still amazed that just the one guy made everything.. coding gfx music etc. Crazy. He deserves all the success this brings.

Narpas Sword

Finished.

12 hrs
100% items
100% map
couldn't find any secret rooms though

Digital_Mantra

going for 100% items, found 4/5 secret worlds. Trying to find the last one.
protip: your screen gets all static like when you're close, and this effect can even be an adjoining room close to the anomaly.

Narpas Sword

Yes, I know (saw on youtube) but still I couldn't find any. Tried to go to every questionmark on Sir Tap Tap's map but nothing.

Maybe on the next run (on hard).

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Narpas Sword on May 25, 2015, 02:41:29 AM
Yes, I know (saw on youtube) but still I couldn't find any. Tried to go to every questionmark on Sir Tap Tap's map but nothing.

Do NOT rely on Sir Tap Tap's map of secre worlds, that was made before people realized it is entirely randomized.
Every game the secret world location is randomized, you have to scour rooms in a region till you get that static fuzzy screen to imply you're near one.
Not a single one of his ? secret world markers was the same as the ones I encountered.

snarfblam

I didn't realize until just yesterday that passcodes can appear in the corner when you're using the address disruptor. That might account for that 8% of items and 1% of map I couldn't find.

* snarfblam dumb

Narpas Sword

Quote from: WindowHead on May 25, 2015, 04:14:28 AM
Quote from: Narpas Sword on May 25, 2015, 02:41:29 AM

Do NOT rely on Sir Tap Tap's map of secre worlds, that was made before people realized it is entirely randomized.
Every game the secret world location is randomized, you have to scour rooms in a region till you get that static fuzzy screen to imply you're near one.
Not a single one of his ? secret world markers was the same as the ones I encountered.

Okay. Didn't know about that! Thanks a lot!

Nikoshiba

Hi everyone !
Do you think there's still a hope to see this gem on Vita ?

SlyPork

Quote from: Nikoshiba on January 07, 2016, 09:37:19 AM
Hi everyone !
Do you think there's still a hope to see this gem on Vita ?
Quick google search results: "The game was released on March 31st, 2015 for the PS4 with a release for the Vita coming soon after. Actual date is TBD...The purchase for the PS4 will also include a download of the Vita version once it becomes available."

I'm sure there's a really high chance of a Vita release, regardless of the accuracy of the wiki  :^_^:

Nikoshiba

I also read this but the game was released on 31st March 2015 and no news since then... so... well... we'll say that there's a hope ! ^^

EDIT : Okay ! I went to the Axiom Verge blog and I had some news.

Firstable, the developper had a baby on september and there were a lot of problems. That's personnal stuff I can easily understand...

By the way, Tom Happ also gives some updates about the Vita relase :

On 26 sept. 2015 : The Deal With Vita

In the absence of any updates to the contrary, many people have said that the Vita version is canned.  Not true!  Honestly, though, it's kinda hairy how it all unfolded - the original plan was that Mono would come out for Vita and I would just port over the same code I used for PS4, but I think something happened with Xamarin, and the Mono port never materialized (perhaps they wanted more money from Sony than the Vita games could reasonably return?  I don't know the details, this is just a guess).  But then a small miracle happened and the folks at Sickhead (who also develop Monogame) started developing a C# to C++ cross compiler, and Sony asked them to do the Vita ports for both AV and Towerfall.

The really great thing about a C#/C++ cross-compiler is it makes it possible to port XNA/FNA/Monogame stuff to all kinds of platforms without having to involve Xamarin in the picture.  So when PS5 and XBox Two or whatever come out, I won't have to switch over to a whole other engine just to support them.  And bypassing the virtual machine should also yield some performance benefits.

The downside is that this work is really, really hard.  Originally they were thinking the tech would be ready in June, but it's obviously slipped.  C# does a great job of shielding users from complex native underpinnings, and this is what Tom Spilman and folks need to replicate in full. From what I gather they have Towerfall running to some degree but AV is a more difficult beast in terms of things like executable size, memory usage, graphical complexity, etc.  My personal prediction would be it'll be ready late this year, but it's hard to know for sure.

But it is coming.

On 5 nov. 2015 : Vita update

I often feel like if I don't mention Vita, people will assume that it's not always on my mind. It is, and I can report that significant progress has been and is being made! I will be giving some more detailed updates on this in the next month or so, but for now let's just say that there's some light at the end of the tunnel. Keep in mind that it is retroactively cross-buy, so if you bought Axiom Verge on PS4 already, you will get the Vita version for free when it launches. Also, if any of your friends have a Vita, they can take advantage of the aforementioned upcoming sale and get both for the price of one!

Thanks again for everyone's support and patience. It was a lot more complicated than any of us expected it to be, but we're getting there.

SO YES ! THERE IS A REAL HOPE ! ^^

SlyPork

I asked Thomas Happ on twitter if he's still planning on it. I'll be sure to edit this post as soon as I get a reply. He's usually pretty good with responding.

Edit: Below is my convo with Thomas on Twitter:

me: @AxiomVerge do you still have plans to release a Vita version of AV?

Him: @SlyPork_ Yes

Drathian

Thomas Happ,
I loved Orn when it came out, I thought it was so cool, you beat nintendo to it then and now, congrats, (back in the day I even brought it to school) this game Axiom Verge is excellent, I bought a copy for it on every system that I could, :)

Steel Sparkle

Yea this game is quite the gem. I loved it through and through. Heck i even did the speed run mode. Sucks i lost 5th place for 100% normal speed run.

Nikoshiba

Here comes some updates :

March 14, 2016
Vita

So, last week we finally submitted the Vita version of Axiom Verge to Sony's certification system. For all console platforms this process takes some time - how long is beyond our power - but it's on its way.  As soon as it's passed we'll know when we can release and announce that to the world.  Given how we really wanted to release it last year, it's definitely going to be as soon as we can - without it being March 22nd (AKA Day of the Tentacle, among other things).  And it's free for anyone who has the PS4 version.

Again, much thanks goes to Tom Spilman of Sickhead Games for making it even possible.

Mhx Air

I knew this guy sounded familiar. He made ORN for Gameboy Advance. It's a Metroid NES remake with a new protagonist.

snarfblam

Yep. Suffice it to say, he's quite a Metroid fan. He also did an AMA on reddit. I read it until my eyes hurt, because the dude basically made an elaborate Metroid fangame entirely by himself, and turned it into something commercially successful. Pretty inspiring.

A Dummy

Has anyone looked into modding this yet?
Tom Happ mentioned something about it being possible to mod this game.

Mhx Air

Quote from: A Dummy on April 01, 2016, 07:49:06 PM
Has anyone looked into modding this yet?
Tom Happ mentioned something about it being possible to mod this game.
I remember that being quoted a few years ago, back when it was planned to go to PC. I don't know if or when it will go to PC, after it goes to XBL, because PSN bought exclusivity to it, for development assistance.
Edit: I found it on Steam, so I'm definitely going to buy it right now and play it. As for hacking it, if it's not obvious to mod, maybe you can Brute force it and see how it works.
Edit 2: The sprites are banked in .xnb files, so I definitely expect a Metroid sprite hack.
Edit 3: This is amazing. I found out that the pause menu has a Metroid NES style password system, and JUSTIN-BAILEY is actually an accepted code that changes your palette to a Power Suit. I'm not going to lie, but I'm impressed. I didn't see that coming.

A Dummy

Yeah, I thought the JUSTIN-BAILEY code doing something was a pretty awesome easter egg.
I'm just like "Oh hey, I wonder if this does something? It does! :O"

Mhx Air

I just beat it in under 9 hours. I don't think I'll be able to do the 4 hour speed run. Either way, the game was phenomenal. The music hits your soul, and the story has amazing character development. I would give it a 9.5/10, because there's no run button, and I want more dlc story. :lol:
In all seriousness, you feel extremely helpless and lost in the game, and by the end of the game, you are so beyond overpowered. You can tear through the world in minutes. It's a fantastic game, I highly recommend it.

Nikoshiba

Axiom Verge comes to PS Vita on April 19 !!!