News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Changing Blue Doors into missile doors?

Started by QuarterCircleMetroid, May 24, 2013, 11:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuarterCircleMetroid

[spoiler][/spoiler]

So, I realize that I shouldn't need a picture for the Landing Site since it's pretty self-explanatory, but I felt I should post one just in case. What I want to do is change the bottom left door into a missile door so that way the player uses the platforms by the ship to go up through the Gauntlet entrance ( which, of course, I'm going to change around ). I already have the bottom right Super Missile door changed into a regular Missile door but that was easy since all I had to do was right click and change the type, doesn't seem to be the case for blue doors.

Thanks ahead of time!

Scyzer

Doors are essentially just PLMs (Post Load Modification), barring blue doors. To put it in perspective: All doors are blue doors. For special doors, it's just something that happens during room loading that will change the specifics of that door.

To make that door a red door, you'll need a PLM to put over it, exactly the same way you have the red door on the other side (if you click that door and drag the mouse, you'll see that you can move it around, and there's a blue door underneath).
If you look around the room, you'll see a few red arrows you can move around. These are also PLMs, and are completely redundant in Super Metroid, since you can do exactly what they do by using certain block types. You can take one of these arrows, change it to a red door, and drop it over the blue door in the corner.

QuarterCircleMetroid

Well, I tested it out and it did seem to work. Does that mean I can take the other two arrows and change those into say. . . two missile packs?

'Cuz it looks like even without the arrows by the Gauntlet entrance the scroll still seems to work and nothing messes up - but if I move the scroll PLM then it goes all wonky.

EDIT:

Nevermind! I got it to work. This certainly changes the direction of the hack. Thanks for the help :]

Scyzer

Yes to the missile packs. The scroll works when Samus touches the block it occupies. That's why the extender PLMs were there in the first place (to essentially copy the scroll PLM and make it bigger). You can do exactly the same thing by giving the blocks above the scroll PLM the Vertical tile type, and putting BTS $01 in them, so you cover the entire path. They act just like the extender PLMs to copy the scroll.

On a side note, for the Vertical and Horizontal copy blocks:
BTS $01-7F will copy that many blocks from below or to the right of the block. Eg BTS $01 will copy the next block. BTS $03 will copy the third block.
BTS $FF-80 will copy the opposite direction, in the same way.

QuarterCircleMetroid

How do I make it so that when I shoot a block, there's an item behind / in the block?

NOTE: I know it said not to ask another question in a topic but i felt it was somewhat related to my PLM 'issue'.

Scyzer

Lol it is related. You just gotta change the PLM type. There's 3 PLMs for each item. Open, hidden in Chozo ball and hidden in scenery. Just change the PLM type and scroll all the way to the bottom to find the scenery items.