News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Door transition speed

Started by Boostguardian, May 13, 2013, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boostguardian

Initial problem of background issues solved. Thankyou everyone for your help.

Further problem of enemy pointers solved. Thankyou again!

Another issue is adressed further down (about 10 posts or so).
Help appreciated!

:..:.

U gota like

remove the tile vomit for it to work

thats the fix around

Vismund Cygnus

Well that was obvious.  :wink:
How does one go about removing the tile vomit though? I've been having the same issue on a few of my rooms.

:..:.

get rid

of like

the clouds

for it to work

Boostguardian

Interesting

advice

But on a more serious note after some more poking around for an hour or so I may have found the fix (or so it seems for this room at least). It seems like having the background pointer set to anything to 0000 causes issues even if the background data is referencing layer 2 in the background settings. Hope that helps you too Vis.

MetroidMst

It is also possible that if you are converting a room that uses a BG pointer to a room that uses a layer 2 BG, that you may be missing a step.

In your room, go under Tools - Background Editor - BG/Layer 2 SCROLLING. That may still be telling the room to load a BG from a pointer. In the drop down box, you can switch it between either Pointer or custom layer 2. I don't know if you have done that step, but it may be the cause of your problem if not.

Zhs2

I'm glad my members have taken your junk posts in stride (and I am proud of them! It makes my chest swell!), but the next time I see posts like this in a legitimate help thread I'll be sure to give you your next warning, Dots. This would be your first warning. Cherish it and hold it tightly to your heart.

EDIT: And my global moderators think he would be better off gone. I can't say I disagree. Sayonara, Dots.

Boostguardian

Thanks for the pointer MetroidMst. I was aware of this tweak but only figured it out not too long ago when I tried using layer 2 BG's in more detailed rooms in my hack.

Another quick one if anyone would know the answer, thought it better to post here than waste forum space with another thread.

Can I have the 'enemies allowed pointer' be used in more than one room?
iI am unsure as it doesn't seem to have been implemented in the original super metroid, yet as far as I understand all this pointer controls is the list of allowed enemy types in a room.
I understand the other enemy pointer is unique per room as it controls the actual enemy placement and quantities, but wanted to see if I could reuse enemy pop pointers.

I would test and go ahead with this myself, but am afraid I may overwrite data in the rom without realising until later down the line that I could not in fact point to enemy population more than once per room in the hack without having lines overlap into one another as I increase the use of the data I am pointing to multiple times.

MetroidMst

Yes, you are quite safe with that. (I did that often in So Little Time.) As you said, it is just what is allowed in the room, so if you have your set of enemies for an area, you have the one pointer for all those rooms. At least that part of making a hack is simple.

Boostguardian

Another quick query for my hack; is there an easy way to increase the speed the door transition acts at?

From what I have found, it seems like the transition process is quite complex and involves multiple stages, but I know Grime managed to increase door transition speed in project Base.
If it is more complex than tweaking some values in a hex editor then I'll settle with slow doors, but if there are various values to change knowing which ones they are would be great!

Quote58

just use rakkis door speed up patch found on the main site

Quietus

Lazy Link. :^_^:

Speaking of which, would it be possible to have bookmarks put in the patches page?  That way, we can link to a person's patches, rather than just linking to the page, which people then have to search, or directly to the file? :oh:

begrimed

Be aware that Rakki's speedy patch might cause some graphical oddities in a few places (like Kraid's room after he's dead, and the room before Phantoon possibly). Scyzer provided these changes awhile back, but I couldn't figure the shit out:

80AE9D - 04
   How fast layer 1 scrolls for door transitions, going right

80AEA7 - 04
   How fast layer 2 scrolls for door transitions, going right

89AEB6 - 40
   How many times to scroll the above changes, going right

802EE1 - 04
   How fast layer 1 scrolls for door transitions, going left

802EEB - 04
   How fast layer 2 scrolls for door transitions, going left

802EFA - 40
   How many times to scroll the above changes, going left

802F64 - 04
   How fast layer 1 scrolls for door transitions, going down

802F6E - 04
   How fast layer 2 scrolls for door transitions, going down

802F7D - 39
   How many times to scroll the above changes, going down

802FE6 - 04
   How fast layer 1 scrolls for door transitions, going up

802FF0 - 04
   How fast layer 2 scrolls for door transitions, going up

802FF6 - 05
   Counter for when to start drawing the next room. Used when going up to draw the top part of the first room for the first 5 frames

80302A - 39
   How many times to scroll the above changes, going up

Lunaria

You're back BG? :noes:

It's been like, years since you last hacked! How are you doing these days?

Boostguardian

Thanks Grime, I'll play with the figures and see how it goes. Not having too much luck so far but I'll stick at it!

And yer good to see you're still in the game Kirby, Looks like you've come a long way since samusforum uk days! Just finished ice metal the other day funnily enough - the hack came so far since the first version I played - nicely done!

For those who *might* remember me, I was back on samus forum about 6 years ago back in my school days where I made a few hacks (which include Darkness Spreads 1/2, Resurrection, Magma - mostly tripe half hacks). I played through some of my old hacks and realised I'd really not had a good go at hacking one of my favourite games, so have set out on making a full hack with new rooms/graphics/physics etc. Only a little way in but I'm having a great time.

Apologies to those who may have missed me (I'm sure there's soooo many of you  :lol:), I took a break from game design in my university years and am now working full time so have a little bit of spare time, some of which I'm dedicating to hacking again!

Lunaria

Good to see your hacking boots are not hanging and gathering dust anymore, I always thought you had potential to make more amazing hacks if you kept at it! :>

And yeah, I'm still in the game, I'd be working on IM2 if I had not decided to take on a zelda classic quest as a side project a little over a year ago. Which funnily enough I am way too busy to finish ATM since I have an internship. :v