News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

How did they make Super Metroid?

Started by :..:., April 27, 2013, 06:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:..:.

dey make dere data
then use an bin2o program
din dey write all this assembly because a SNES compiler didn't exist back den.
so once all dah assembly assembles with dere data then dey have dah rom!
then using a hardware emulator with a debugger they test dere game for completion and bugz

yay snes gamez

Zhs2

If we knew that, this website wouldn't exist. The very likely answer was "the same way anybody makes a game", or even a program: you open an arbitrarily-named text document, write a bunch of code into it, run it through a compiler (which, coincidentally, translates to assembly instructions the SNES processor can understand - imagine that!) and then call it a day when you can play it through the whole way without it crashing (probably more along the lines of a 2-3 year development process, that. Removing crashing is hard.)

:..:.

But teh graffix and the sounds, u cant just writes that into a codes!!!!!!!!!!

JAM

I bet, they wrote something like "mk -newgame -snes -metroid3" in superconsole and the game was done =)

Now seriously, a lot of code was written manually, line by line and later compilated. But I guess, they had a level editor like SMILE. Of course, editor were made by them.

Also, there are a lot of evidences that Super Metroid was originally planned as remake of Metroid 1.

EDIT: graphics was drawed in editor like TLP. Music composed in special program (again, no simply writing commands like "mkmusic"). I guess for both.

begrimed

Actually, you could totally create graphics and sounds by only typing in bytes.

Quietus

They took the word 'Metroid', and placed the word 'Super' in front of it. :wink:

Zero One

Quote from: Quietus on April 27, 2013, 08:05:57 PM
They took the word 'Metroid', and placed the word 'Super' in front of it. :wink:

Wrong. They also added in a space. It's not called SuperMetroid.

Quietus

I'd be seriously worried if anybody out there used words without automatically adding spaces.  That'd be horrendous to read.

I'dbeseriouslyworriedifanybodyoutthereusedwordswithoutautomaticallyaddingspaces.That'dbehorrendoustoread.See! :^_^:

Zero One

Pfft,no,it'sreallyquitesimpletoreadattime.Granted,ifitwasagiantparagraphofsimilarlookingwords,thenwemayindeedhaveaproblem,butIreallydon'tseethatoccurringanytimesoon.

Quietus

But things could get really hairy!  If I was talking about a group of six musicians who were really uninteresting, I could say that they were a 'banalsextet'.  You know how people's minds work. :wink:

snarfblam

True. I'm quite certain that adding in a space would prevent people from sniggering or making any kind of dirty joke.

Zero One

That's a fucking weird boolean label.

JAM

Quote from: Grime on April 27, 2013, 06:51:43 PM
Actually, you could totally create graphics and sounds by only typing in bytes.
That's how I actually I did some of my small patches... No kidding.

Quote from: Quietus on April 27, 2013, 08:05:57 PM
They had to. Metroid will work on Super NES only in native emulation mode =)

Quote from: Quietus on April 28, 2013, 08:48:33 AM
I'dbeseriouslyworriedifanybodyoutthereusedwordswithoutautomaticallyaddingspaces.That'dbehorrendoustoread.See! :^_^:
I_can_write_the_text_without_using_any_spaces_and_it's_still_will_be_readable!

Quote from: Quietus on April 28, 2013, 09:00:25 AM
But things could get really hairy!  If I was talking about a group of six musicians who were really uninteresting, I could say that they were a 'banalsextet'.  You know how people's minds work. :wink:
Yeah, exactly =) therapistfinder
Too bad, the site is not online anymore... =(

Zhs2

Let me give you two that are:
http://www.penisland.net/ Easymode...
http://www.ferrethandjobs.com/ and a little more obscure (too bad they added redirection for this one!)

Szandor

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 01, 2013, 11:17:48 PM

If you scroll down a bit you find this heading:

We Specialize In Wood!

:O_o:

painghein

Quote from: Szandor on May 02, 2013, 12:40:28 AM
Quote from: Zhs2 on May 01, 2013, 11:17:48 PM

If you scroll down a bit you find this heading:

We Specialize In Wood!

:O_o:

If you scroll down even a bit more you will find this: :affraid:
[spoiler] :lol: :lol: :lol:[/spoiler]

Szandor

I feel a little embarrassed for missing that.... :razz:

VideoGeemer

You guys ... really, this is simple. They just stole the time machine that Capcom used to learn what reploids were going to be like, and went into the future, to a time when Super Metroid was completed. Then they just brought it back to 1994 and said "here's our new game."