News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SMILE] Runtime error 76 on startup (SOLVED)

Started by Vismund Cygnus, April 24, 2013, 08:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vismund Cygnus

I've been looking at getting into hacking Super Metroid, however it seems I am unable to even get past the first screen!
SMILE launches fine, however when I try and select a ROM to open, I get this error message;
QuoteParlor
Run-time error '76':

Path not found
Does anyone know what's happening here? More importantly, does anyone know how it can be fixed? Thanks in advance for your time  :^_^:

Boostguardian

Each time I've come back to hacking I've seemed to encounter this issue as well and either one of these two fixes usually gets me past it;

1. Try using SMILE 2.50 if you're not already. I've found it to be the most stable version so far that I've used
2. Try using the JU! version of the rom if you're not already. This has always worked best for me compared to other versions.

There may be more reasons than this but try these two first if you aren't using them at the moment.

Vismund Cygnus

I was already using a JU, but I converted to SMILE 2.50, seems to be running fine now. Thank you! :D

Zhs2

This topic details why: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,560.msg28035.html#new

If you didn't want to click on it and learn about how to avoid all sorts of other SMILE runtime error mishaps, this one's caused by not having a plugins folder (stupid, I know.) Creating a folder with exactly that name (plugins) will cause this issue to never crop up.

Boostguardian

Glad to be of help, happy hacking, and if this is your first time using SMILE I wish you good luck. There's a lot to learn but keep at it!

Vismund Cygnus

Quote from: Zhs2 on April 24, 2013, 05:34:04 PM
This topic details why: http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,560.msg28035.html#new

If you didn't want to click on it and learn about how to avoid all sorts of other SMILE runtime error mishaps, this one's caused by not having a plugins folder (stupid, I know.) Creating a folder with exactly that name (plugins) will cause this issue to never crop up.
Ah, okay. That's crazy. But thank you.
Quote from: Boostguardian on April 25, 2013, 01:00:15 AM
Glad to be of help, happy hacking, and if this is your first time using SMILE I wish you good luck. There's a lot to learn but keep at it!
I'm learning! Very, very slowly. Expect a hack from me in about 15 years... ;)