News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Introduce Yourself!

Started by Phazar, May 17, 2009, 05:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietus

Welcome, Eli.  If you're a spriter, then your first task is to completely resprite Samus.  It's so easy that we all thought the task was beneath us.  Honest.  No, honestly, that's the reason that nobody has done it yet.  Really it is... :oh:

EliBloodthirst

Quote from: Quietus on September 08, 2014, 11:42:42 AM
Welcome, Eli.  If you're a spriter, then your first task is to completely resprite Samus.  It's so easy that we all thought the task was beneath us.  Honest.  No, honestly, that's the reason that nobody has done it yet.  Really it is... :oh:

So what kinda of respriting are you talking about?

Jiffy

benox50

Hi, I'm a guy that like to mod and make maps for various games that I like, they are games that few people are modding such as FEAR, worms, Multi theft Auto, World of goo, GTA in general and more. If nobody will make it, then I make it and thats all. I love 3D stuff, game engine, 3D tools, 3D Hard surface, CG in general...  I listen music for games most of the time.

I'm the kind of guy that wants the work done, so I rarely talk on Forums to have fun and lose my time, I prefere to go directly to the subject or the obstacle in my work, ofc there are still place to laught :>

Now I'm supposed to work on 3D thingy, but guess what ! I wake up a morning with some Rom Hacking in mind, Super Metroid Rom Hacking and I cant stop learning and advancing in this. At least, I need to finish something  :twisted:
Its easy to guess... I... I love Super Metroid, its my favorite game, so I have a good raison to take my wrench and screw some nut on it  :colonrightv:

Retroo

personitis

Quote from: benox50 on September 08, 2014, 06:20:34 PMI love Super Metroid, its my favorite game, so I have a good raison to take my wrench and screw some nut on it  :colonrightv:
We could use a lot more of this kind of optimism and motivation around here. Then maybe things would get done faster. :nod:

Anywho, welcome to the community. Read around, ask questions if you're completely stumped, and do your best to make your stay enjoyable.

Quietus

Welcome, benox50.  If you're into making things that nobody else is, then I might suggest a Streets of Rage 2 Level Editor.  That, sir, would be awesome, and I don't break that word out very often. :^_^:

benox50

Well, I need to learn programming first  :razz:

It was more about feeling alone with some games tweaking and not finding anyone who do it before to learn from it. That's not the case for Super Metroid, it was a surprise to find so many people that play with it  :^_^:

BTW, I'm from Montreal/Canada

Hawntah

Quote from: benox50 on September 08, 2014, 06:20:34 PM
Hi, I'm a guy that like to mod and make maps for various games that I like, they are games that few people are modding such as FEAR, worms, Multi theft Auto, World of goo, GTA in general and more. If nobody will make it, then I make it and thats all. I love 3D stuff, game engine, 3D tools, 3D Hard surface, CG in general...

You've chosen the wrong Metroid game to hack.. ever heard of Metroid Prime (and its sequels)?

Grimlock

Quote from: Hawntah on September 09, 2014, 02:01:24 AM
Quote from: benox50 on September 08, 2014, 06:20:34 PM
Hi, I'm a guy that like to mod and make maps for various games that I like, they are games that few people are modding such as FEAR, worms, Multi theft Auto, World of goo, GTA in general and more. If nobody will make it, then I make it and thats all. I love 3D stuff, game engine, 3D tools, 3D Hard surface, CG in general...

You've chosen the wrong Metroid game to hack.. ever heard of Metroid Prime (and its sequels)?

So once you go 3D you can't dabble in 2D game editing?  :pwuh: (damn it, why didn't someone tell me sooner!!!) 

Excuse me while I go scrap my current project......

Hawntah

Quote from: Grimlock on September 09, 2014, 09:38:05 AM
Quote from: Hawntah on September 09, 2014, 02:01:24 AM
So once you go 3D you can't dabble in 2D game editing?  :pwuh: (damn it, why didn't someone tell me sooner!!!) 

Excuse me while I go scrap my current project......
I never said that.. I merely thought, based on what he said, that he might have the knowledge and skills necessary to attempt to hack a 3D game such as Metroid Prime, and that he would probably enjoy hacking it more than the 2D game everyone else is hacking.

themetroidprime40

Hello !  :^_^: My name is Cris and I am a huge fan of the Metroid Series. Ever since childhood I love the entire series , specially the way the environments are so unique and the feeling of being isolated in a entirely new world. I am very artistic, passionate and creative. I am a very energetic person and I have many ideas and concepts. I also  have many hobbies ( most consisting in using creativity ) such as  making art , producing music, and writing songs and poems. The type of music I like the best is underground rap , and Indie Rock. such as  I am hoping I can use that energy and creativity to produce some good stuff with the rest of the users of this forum. I am looking forward to modding some 2D Metroid games ( Specially Super Metroid ) and maybe in the future once I have more experience modding (Assuming it is much more complicated ) , I want to move onto Prime which was my favorite game in the whole entire series rigth next to Super metroid.

I hope I can serve of help ,and I am happy to be here.   :razz:

Quietus

Welcome to the forum.  You've already taken the first big step, which is to try learning on your own.  Once you've had your first tinkerings, then you can start bugging people, either on here or on IRC. :^_^:

Lemonjuice

Hello, I am Lemonjuice. I am a decently experienced hacker in design and concepts of rom hacks. I unfortunatly am not a asm guy, so I usually try to be as creative as possible with the resources I have at hand.

Cloud20

Welcome on metconst Lemonjuice  :^_^:

DSO

Welcome to Metconst, Lemonjuice.
Not an ASM guy? That means maybe you'll actually release something because us 'ASM people' go too far and projects take 10+ years :P
Regardless, there's an awful lot of hex tweaks and public patches here you can use to expand your game beyond vanilla, if you so desire.

TobiMikami

Quote from: Lemonjuice on September 24, 2014, 10:28:39 AM
I unfortunatly am not a asm guy
I can link you to the guide I learned from, they're pretty basic but really easy to learn from, if you'd ever be interested down the line haha. But if you do good GFX you can make a pretty cool hack based on that alone, and like DSO said we have a ton of stuff on the main site publicly available, and in http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,145.0.html which gets more stuff more frequently so keep tabs on that if you're interested. Enjoy your stay man, enjoy MetConst!

Quietus

Welcome, Lemonjuice.  Experienced or not, there's plenty here for everyone, so enjoy your stay. :^_^:

Retroo

Welcome, themetroidprime40! And Lemonjuice! (i like you name)

Guitarmaestro69

Hello everyone, I just recently discovered the treasure trove of SNES ROMs that are out there (no idea where I was hiding that I didn't know about them - not very well connected in groups and not into social media so...).  Anyway, I had the best idea ever a while back; modify the best game ever made, Super Metroid, and create new gameplay.  And I come to find out people have done this to countless games already!!  Super exciting. 

I have been programming in one form or another for about 17 years now.  VB,VB.NET, SQL, C, C++, FPGA, EEPROM, ASM, WINASM, LabVIEW, robots, on and on... I have just downloaded the source code for SMILE.  The interface seems a bit clunky and I was wondering if anyone is in the process of rewriting (VB.NET) or fixing any of the issues with SMILE?  On that note, I don't see the source code for the Lunar Compress.DLL.  Does anyone have it?  I assume this is from the creator of Lunar Magic?

So, Hello, and I look forward to pleasant experiences and plenty of ROM playing!

Quietus

For Lunar Compress, you need to check Fusoya's Niche.  It says on the page that it includes developer files, so I'd guess that's what you're after.

For SMILE, the short answer is 'yes'.  JAM is working on an updated version of SMILE known as JX, which addresses a number of issues.  There is another version known as RF, but Scyzer built it specifically for her hack, Seraphim, so it's pretty worthless to everybody else (it's not available either).

Lastly, if you're playing through hacks, I'd recommend starting with Redesign.  It's huge, well built, is a retelling of the original story, and is pretty much the hack that galvanised half of us to start hacking in the first place.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :^_^:

Scooterboot9697

Never throught I'd get around to registering here, but alas...

Greetings, Metconst-ians (for lack of a better term). My name is Scooterboot, and I hail from the Terraria Online (TO) forums.
There's a game called Terraria, if you haven't heard of it, and I made a Metroid mod for it and such... So yeah, I'm obviously a Metroid lover (wouldn't come here if I wasn't. Lol).

Anyway, the reason I'm here is because I've played a lot of awesome hacks from here, and I've been stalking these forums for hack updates and whatnot, but never got around to registering. I would learn how to make hacks and whatnot, which sounds exciting, but my first look at SMILE made me lose interest. So, I'd rather just stick to playing hacks and giving proper feedback and whatnot. I mean, I could make hacks if I tried hard enough, but I don't think I would exactly enjoy it. You know how it is.

PS: I should point out that I noticed that when I registered, the little rules/agreement thingy said near the top that I couldn't post links until I posted at least once before; 'said it was to keep spambots out. Oh well. If anyone really needs a link to my mod, it's not hard to google...

(PPS: The actual real reason I registered here is because I'm absolutely bored, as my mod is on hold for reasons stated in its own thread. I would state them here, but I don't know if too many people care, plus it's near midnight where I am currently, so I'm too tired to...)

Omg, my first post here is a load of text. Should I feel guilty?  :whoa:

Digital_Mantra

Sup Scooterboot, there is no guilt, and there is no shame. Yesterday is history and tomorrow is mystery.
Understand the vibe you find SMILE daunting, its very simple and you could if you tried.
Usually quietus does the welcomes but I'm totally out of it and bored.

Any link/spam that's metroid related is totally fine, I mean you're on a metroid hack forum. Go for it.

Quietus

Quote from: Digital_Mantra on September 26, 2014, 01:29:26 AMUsually quietus does the welcomes
:^_^:

Welcome, Scooterboot.  SMILE can certainly be daunting, as anything new can be, and if you don't feel the urge, there's no point trying to force yourself into it.  What I will say is that part of the battle when I started was not knowing how SMILE worked, but having some basic help goes a long way, and gives that initial buzz of 'I'm doing it!'  If you feel like tinkering, don't feel like whatever you're doing will be a hack that you'll release.  Most of us have broken any number of ROMs while trying stuff out.  We usually recommend person701's guide for newcomers, as it's a great, click for click account of your first steps.

Regardless of whether you're hacking or just enjoying the labours of love that others have created, have fun! :^_^:

Retroo

Welcome! I did post about your mod here before look here  page 119 i think. http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,5.2950.html