News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

[SM] Z-Factor Hack v1.3

Started by Metaquarius, November 30, 2012, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote58

So, thought I'd mention. I just went through norfair backwards. I was going to do a run recording some of the better sequence breaks when I decided to try a new one.
My item order became such: Morph, missiles, bombs, energy tank(the one underwater), varia suit, super missiles(in norfair), wave beam, and frankly I could get whatever I want from there.
So basically I could have power bombs the first time going into brinstar. And once I get the hbj right, then I won't need to go into brinstar for a very long time.
Just thought you should know. And this isn't a v.1 specific thing.

GoldenTorizo

Jee, Maridia is built like a maze, I'm not sure where Botwoon is.

Digital_Mantra

So I'm doing a low time/any% 'intended route/no sb' run and the game fucks up once I enter crateria on route to WS.
The screen is black and all you see is the waterline. Using powerbombs will briefly show the room but what the hell?
(and no this is not an issue where I accidentally turned off a layer).

edit: sidenote, after I got powerbombs, they do not have the explosion animation, could this be a.. *shades* factor?

edit2: fixed. something to do with an .srm file.

MetroidMst

Quote from: GoldenTorizo on December 18, 2012, 01:19:22 AM
Jee, Maridia is built like a maze, I'm not sure where Botwoon is.
Welcome to best/worst search in all of Metroid hacks. Zaridia is now fully open wide for you to explore, and you will spend... A long time in there. You will need to find Zaridian Tube rooms. (Yes, there are multiple Tubes, and you need to find all of them to get to the Botwoon.)

Metaquarius

Quote from: Shadow96 on December 18, 2012, 12:42:02 AM
So, thought I'd mention. I just went through norfair backwards. I was going to do a run recording some of the better sequence breaks when I decided to try a new one.
My item order became such: Morph, missiles, bombs, energy tank(the one underwater), varia suit, super missiles(in norfair), wave beam, and frankly I could get whatever I want from there.
So basically I could have power bombs the first time going into brinstar. And once I get the hbj right, then I won't need to go into brinstar for a very long time.
Just thought you should know. And this isn't a v.1 specific thing.
To be honest, it's no surprise for me you've managed to get those items early, since I actually designed the hack to allow sequence breaking to some extent. This is what I was referring to in the hack presentation. And I'm not gonna change this because it's not a issue but a feature. The only downside I can see is people tend to sb when they're stuck, that's why the updates are here so as to make the main path more obvious.
Entering the super secret room involves a major sb so you might be interested in looking for it too.  :^_^:

GoldenTorizo

The great Botwoon hunt is complete. I did like how the room design was, but that made him more challenging. Now to find Draygon.

MATHGODpi

Went to the download link, but I can't seem to download the patch. :confus:

Digital_Mantra

Almost finished my recorded play through of Z-Factor V.1.
(This is a console condition play through without sequence breaks, savestates, or slowdown.)
After my first very lengthy play, I intend to create an intended path run based solely on memory.
Just felt like posting 'cause I'm rather excited with the outcome (and bothered by how much time I could have saved..)

GoldenTorizo

Well I beat Botwoon and it wasn't easy. How am I supposed to get to Draygon?

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: GoldenTorizo on December 18, 2012, 10:53:59 PM
Well I beat Botwoon and it wasn't easy. How am I supposed to get to Draygon?

There are some tricky 'non' hints, but after Botwoon, it's a direct path to Draygon.
So if you feel you've deviated, go back and keep shooting and bombing shit.

GoldenTorizo

Well I found one path with one of those Oum (Giant green ball-like monsters). Is is a dead end?

Lucky Dearly

awesome hack, love the custom stuff like the Chozo Statue eyes and the backgrounds in the boss rooms

right now I'm stuck in the Wrecked Ship looking for Gravity Suit, any ideas where I can search for that?

GoldenTorizo

Quote from: Lucky Dearly on December 19, 2012, 05:40:20 AM
right now I'm stuck in the Wrecked Ship looking for Gravity Suit, any ideas where I can search for that?
To answer this, leave the wrecked ship (from the left side) and go to the left crateria lake, and make an absurdly difficult grapple jump using those metal-ish rippers to get back in the ship.

Vorpal

I'm enjoying this hack.  Thanks for making it.

streamed the first part of my blind playthrough, you can watch it:
http://www.twitch.tv/vorpalsda/b/349000249 part 1 (10 mins)
http://www.twitch.tv/vorpalsda/b/349006415 part 2 (4 hours 30 mins)

At the beginning I was blind racing to varia suit, after that I just kept playing for the night.  Was in a voice chat with other ppl, so I hope you enjoy Go1den's keyboard symphony.  After a while it just gets hilarious.

Since then I've gotten gravity, but I was too lazy to stream more.

The nonlinearity seems substantial at several points, but not excessively stifling?  Maybe it's just playing on 1.2.  The biggest breakpoints for that (so far) were after supers, and... not necessarily after [spoiler]varia, since clearly you gotta go to Norfair, but then you have 4 key items in there without having to leave and that's a good way to fake people out (ok I got wave let's go somewhere else).  Not sure what you're supposed to do after supers either.  Clearly you get over to red brinstar somehow but the two paths I know of involve green gate glitching?[/spoiler]

Really enjoyed the new backgrounds and stuff too, they're pretty stylish.

M1CR0H4CK3R

I think I've broken a record...

And I even found the secret room!

Digital_Mantra

I got 100% before you  :<_<:

As for my recorded Z-Factor 'Intended Route' Playthrough (V.1)
2:16 / 47%

MATHGODpi

I still can't download the patch. :cry: Can anyone help me out?

MetroidMst

All I've got is version 1.0, but here it is.

Zhs2

Works for me. Here you go.

Metaquarius

Quote from: MetroidMst on December 19, 2012, 07:01:39 PM
All I've got is version 1.0, but here it is.
ShyGuyExpres, I know you love that GATE in v1.0, but I don't think people should play v1.0 at all considering the various improvements made so far. :razz:

Contrags to people who got 100%, I'm sure it wasn't easy. And thanks for your playthrough vids, that's really instructive stuff.

Digital_Mantra

Quote from: Metaquarius on December 20, 2012, 04:56:21 AM
but I don't think people should play v1.0 at all considering the various improvements made so far. :razz:

No, your updates are bullshit. I would hardly call them improvements. Give me half an hour to fix up V.1 proper and you'd have something amazing.

DonnyDonovan

I'm curious if the project is still being updated or if 1.2 is more or less the "final" version?  I haven't started on it not for that reason but because I've had no time, and probably won't have time until after X-Mas, but I was just wondering.

Yuki

I for one prefer the later updates, they make the game a more enjoyable experience for me. there's no need to insult the maker of the hack improving his hack as he sees fit.

Quietus

Quote from: Drevan Zero on December 20, 2012, 10:21:05 AM
I for one prefer the later updates, they make the game a more enjoyable experience for me. there's no need to insult the maker of the hack improving his hack as he sees fit.
This. :^_^:

M1CR0H4CK3R

I've done it yet again...

4:37, 100% is pretty good, isn't it?