News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

? 4 u

Started by zephyrtronium, September 16, 2009, 08:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

self-modifying patch y/n

y
4 (57.1%)
n
0 (0%)
COCKS
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: September 23, 2009, 08:44:04 PM

zephyrtronium

Basically, I've been debating writing a patch file format that can modify itself (for example, to account for the presence/lack of headers). The thing is, it'd be a very involved project, and I don't want to take it on unless I know it will be used. So this thread is to gather opinions: I'm not going to do it unless I get an assload of yes votes by next week.

personitis

So... the thing will check if there's a header or not and modify to fit the situation? If so, I'd say don't watse your time cause it's not too hard to check if your ROM has a header or not. Just open SMILE and ask to remove header and if it syas there isn't one, done.

TL;DR (reallly? -.-): It's not hard to figure out if a ROM has  aheader or not.

zephyrtronium

It won't check if there's a header or not; the person making the patch can define a location (or multiple locations) to test, the value to test it to, a pointer (or all pointers) to modify if the test shows inequality, and the new pointer (or the amount to add to the pointer).

The reasoning behind this system is that a) not everyone has SMILE, b) not everyone knows how to add/remove headers, and c) many people don't even know what a header is:
Quote«20:32:46»   <Jathys|SMILE>   basically though, eliminates the headache of telling n00bs about headers

The preliminary specification for this format:
identifier: 'VPS'
1 byte:
    2 bits, least significant: script sample width
    other bits: version
vli pointer table length
vli pointer table
vli pointer size
vli script length
vli script pointer
ssw script sample
vli script index
vli script new index
bin data

if (vli script index)>(vli pointer table length), add (vli script new index) to
each pointer
vli = variable length integer - see this page.

personitis

Ahh, I get ya now. Changed vote. ;D

zephyrtronium

Other people voted for cocks, so I'm not gonna bother doing this.

It's actually because I didn't get enough yes votes, even if there were no no votes (aside from Jathys in IRC).