News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fe

Meh, probably wouldn't look much different. I also added a little blueish tint to them, seeing as this will be my cold area tileset. Although, if you really see it to be that important, I'll take another look at them. Anyway, I'm horrible at drawing ice, so is there maybe a link to a guide for that? Trust me, my ice looks shit. Or, as an alternative, just post a picture of good looking ice and I'll get a basic idea of what I'll want. Either way works.

snarfblam

For what it's worth, I think the tiles work much better for ice. The tubage does have an unusual and strangely soft appearance, but getting the details right takes experience. I'm not much of an artist myself, but my two cents on the tube: the shading should not be symmetrical. Look:

Note that there the brightest part is above center. Also, unless you are going for a dull or "soft" appearance, the transition to the brightest shading should be sharper to create the appearance of a shine.

As for the ends and corners, Crys' link is a good start.

Lunaria

Making cylinders pillow shaded is okay as it works, square blocks? Not so much. It's better to try and add some detail.

However, the cylinders alone look bad anyway, there is no detail to them, therefor they look very plain, the straight line when changing direction is very bad too. Since you're going to end with square blocks too I suggest making a better looking end.

Some ideas and examples on how to do it better:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

One thing to keep in mind when drawing ice is your style choice. White + transparent is a great option. But when trying to fade to darker colors keep in mind that you go from white to cyan to blue to dark blue. Ice is not realistically blue unless it's been frozen for a very long time under many other layers of ice. But we are not here for realism, we are here for something that makes people think that it is ice. And since is cold, blue works very well in that regard.

Oh and, I'm terrible at drawing ice myself, just look at my deep ice tileset from ice metal, fucking terrible, so I don't really have any suggestions other then that.

Edit: SNARF!  :fukken:

Fe

Ok, I'll work on it some tomorrow. Thanks for the advice guys!

Lunaria

Cool cloud effect aside, it looks very repetitive, linear and boring. :/

Scyzer

Motion Sensor Doors

I got bored :|
Only done blue doors for the time being. Colored doors need some extra coding for block shot reactions and such. There's no PLM involved with these doors (even for colors).

The area size for the motion sensor is variable, both X and Y distances can be set (you need to be in both to activate it), and the sensor timer/delay can be set for each individual door (how long it takes for the door to close if you don't move).

Quietus

I presume you'd have worked around it, but do they close on you if you stand still?

Regardless, that's pretty cool. :cool:

Black Falcon

Good.
And now make Ceres' doors open only after you shot them  :heheh:

zephyrtronium

Quote from: Black Falcon on April 17, 2011, 07:50:40 AMAnd now make Ceres' doors open only after you shot web  :heheh:
Fix't.

Anywho, if the door opens as you run out of it, I know I personally would find that very annoying. Probably not something worth fixing, though, if it even does happen.

Scyzer

Quote from: zephyrtronium on April 17, 2011, 09:45:59 AM
Anywho, if the door opens as you run out of it, I know I personally would find that very annoying. Probably not something worth fixing, though, if it even does happen.

The door isn't closed if you run out of it, it'll stay open like other doors, then closes once you get out of range or stay still for about 5 seconds. It's exactly like the normal shot doors, except with a delay to close when you come out of one.

JAM

After several months or researching, I've just found a root of all evil...

[spoiler]

Welcome to the unused area!

No kidding this time, it's working!
[/spoiler]

P.S. 400th post. Again!

Lunaria

Since when was the debug room new? <_<;

JAM

Not the room itself, but the map, which working correctly for debug area and ability to create map in SMILE for this area, save and load in this area, have a text icon for this area etc. etc.

Of course, it possibly was done by gurus such as Kej and Jathys years ago...

personitis

Quote from: JAM on May 06, 2011, 07:51:22 PMOf course, it possibly was done by gurus such as Kej and Jathys years ago...
Doesn't matter; still a cool find. Adds an extra area to which we can add a name and map now.

Damski

Im new here hello..

I've just started to do my Super metroid hack and I want to know... is there better tile layer program than the tile layer pro? Its really hard to combine all sprites together example enemy and boss sprites.

Here is the first taste of my future project
... I thought I'd do all the graphics by myself and im pixelartist.

Wip..Mock up preview:

Ice cave:

Crystal cave:

Smile tile test..

MetroidMst

You have a very good ice tileset right there. Not much to say about the second and third pics, but you have some really screwed up palettes in that last pic on the top line...

Damski

Quote from: MetroidMst on May 10, 2011, 04:27:18 PM
You have a very good ice tileset right there. Not much to say about the second and third pics, but you have some really screwed up palettes in that last pic on the top line...

Mother brain palette  :grin:

personitis

Custom tiles are always awesome. Also looks like you know a fair amount about moving the map and it's rooms around which is always a plus to see around here.

Welcome to the community.

Lunaria

Fuck, why can everyone and their mother make better ice tiles then me! >:(

Scyzer

Because everyone and their mother spent several days grinding pixel points to level up to a higher pixel level.

You need to kill more enemies to get more pixel points, then spend them on various pixel-related upgrades to improve your pixel skillz.

Qactis

Quote from: Zhs2 on May 10, 2011, 04:43:06 PM
There's YY-Chr

and to a lesser extent FaTileTy (if you need to edit Mode7 graphics), that's about all there is.

Damski

I'm going to replace sidehopper sprites and I change it to Autoad...if it works I'll post the video here..  :cool:

thanks for the programs guys.

ProjectXVIII

Quote from: Qactis on May 11, 2011, 04:46:18 PM
Quote from: Zhs2 on May 10, 2011, 04:43:06 PM
There's YY-Chr

and to a lesser extent FaTileTy (if you need to edit Mode7 graphics), that's about all there is.

Too bad TLP is better because it doesn't have the most retarded palette editor ever. Also, that ice tileset is awesome, Damski.