News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

General Projects Screenshots/Vids Thread

Started by Zhs2, May 15, 2009, 10:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamieWebb16

Quote58

Hi, I had been working on gfx editing for a while. I think I'm going to give up on that.
Since I finally have an account however, I thought I'd see what you all think of it.
I have lots, but here are two examples:
1. Fusion gfx and level design. (sorry about the bts, I made this before I knew it was bad form)
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
2. Edited fusion gfx and level design
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]
Be as harsh, critical and mean as you want as long as it's constructive.
If they're in the wrong format btw, please tell me for future reference.

Edit: The second tile set is supposed to be about phazon, hence the light blue everywhere.

Charmander106

Really nice rips Shadow96. But use PNG images next time as it is loss-less and won't make your images blurry. Other than that I see potential in your work. keep up the good work.

Quote58

Thanks, I thought there was something about png being better than bmp, makes sense now.
For the second two images I made my own pallet and added stuff from other parts of fusion. However again, I think I'm going to give up on gfx editing. So probably no potential, but thanks anyway.

MetroidMst

I like your phazony rock stuff. I do think it is a little too symmetrical though, could do with a bit more of a random pattern. The rest is not stuff I'd use personally. Not that it is bad, I just wouldn't use it myself.

Quote58

Symmetrical? How so?
The tileset ended up mostly being practice with layer 2 and level design btw.

MetroidMst

Maybe it is just the way you are using the tiles in the screenshot, but the rocky parts around the doors that jut out and then go back into the wall look too similar. It seems that instead of making an "underneath" part to the cliff-edge it looks like it was just the top part flipped upside-down. Also, the flat phazon rock tiles have little variation. It looks like maybe you used four different tiles for that? In any case, I would personally find it more appealing to have a few more tiles with a little more variation to it. Maybe some tiles without any phazon chunks in it just to break it up a little.

Quote58

Okay, now I get it. One of the photos was from before I had really started making rooms with it, so it's not as good.
The reason for the little variation is this:
The rocks were taken from the volcano in fusion, and only slightly modified in shape. I have two different pallets for it though, the other one does it a little more justice. In fusion, since the tiles were only seen in lava or for very little time, they didn't need variation. I could fix this tileset, since I'm not too bad in tlp, but there isn't a lot of point, unless some one else wanted to use it.

MetroidMst

I'd say go for it. I may not use it for any current projects I have going on now, but it is always nice to have a greater base of custom tilesets and stuff to choose from when starting a new project. You never know who might pick it up later too. Who knows, in three years you may see it pop up in some hacks.

Quote58

This room better shows the tileset.
[spoiler][/spoiler] I know, it's bmp, sorry. This is an old pic, any new ones will be in png.
Thanks for the support MetroidMst. I'll try to fix it up and make it more my own as opposed to fusion.
It'll give me something to do. Plus I do enjoy gfx editing, I'm just not great at it.

MetroidMst

That is still good. But my case-in-point is easy to see along the right wall. Where you just have the straight down flat wall of phazon rocks is too similar. I feel it would look better to have rocks with no or just a little phazon in it to break it up. You have this recurring pattern going on the wall there, and it doesn't look so good. Not because the tiles are bad, there just isn't the variation it needs with that kind of design.

Quote58

Ya, it's definatly going to need to be changed. I think I know how to get some more space in the tileset, so that way I'll be able to add variety.

Edit: Okay, I've started customizing it.
[spoiler][/spoiler] Is this the kind of variety? just along the right wall.

Quote58

Okay, not sure if this is double posting or not, if so, please tell me for future reference.
This is an old room I have now added some variety to. I hope.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

MetroidMst

Yes, that is the kind of break-up the tileset needed to look better. There is much less of a pattern now, which makes it look more natural, and therefor it is generally considered better looking by most. Keep up the work.

Black Falcon

I was busy bored :/
[spoiler=hazy]

[/spoiler]

Quietus

The fourth one looks like some kind of backdrop to an F-Zero track. :heheh:

Blarget2

working on a tile set ill never use for a hack. i like making random tile sets. it beefs up my pixel art skill.

Lunaria

Mind releasing that one blarget? It would save me the time of drawing something similar to ice metal 2.

In fact, I should outsource more graphics work for my hack, it would save me a LOT of effort sitting around looking at an empty tile page thinking out how to draw things, then end up failing horrible at my vision. ._.

A_red_monk_called_Key

SM PE is getting scraped and i'm starting over. so here are 3 vids of the game. were the 3rd vid ends i plan on keeping allot of the stuff in the next area, so no previews until close to finish.

about 70% - 80% of the GFX will be posted for the community to use.

[spoiler]SMPE part1.avi SMPE part2.avi SMPE part3.avi[/spoiler]

Qactis

No idea why, but the save station reminds me of Rocket Knight Adventure's warp thing
[spoiler]
1:05
Rocket Knight Adventures - "Hard" Playthrough - Stage 7[/spoiler]

Scyzer

Tried to make the Ceres shaft editable somewhat by changing the format of the graphics.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Still doesn't display correctly in the level editor though :C

Charmander106

Something in my mind I wanted to try. So I did it. It worked. See for your self:

[spoiler]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmaysAuUpDE[/spoiler]

Quote58

Wow, that looks awesome. Did you use animated tiles or was it an fx1 change? I looks like the effect of water on a background or layer 2, but in any case, it looks fantastic.

Qactis