News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

TLP to Photoshop

Started by A_red_monk_called_Key, September 14, 2011, 02:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A_red_monk_called_Key

M0nk3y's TLP to Photoshop and back
content
here i'll explain about using TLP and Photoshop together.
this will include using my tools that i use with TLP, export and importing graphics, and other tricks i'll post here later

--TLP to Photoshop--
first i start with a large blank grid, then i clear out all the color in the color palette by double clicking each color, changing them to gray. then save the color palette as (temp1.tlp)
then goto edit/import bitmap and import 16colors.bmp(which is easy to make just put all 16 colors on one tile(this can be used for many things)
then i right click (starting at the 16colors) and drag over an area the size that i need. edit/export bitmap save as temp1.bmp
open Photoshop file/open temp1.bmp and the graphics that i want to use

first edit the graphics you want to use then make them 16 bit
to make you pic 16-bit goto image/mode/indexed color
change palette to local, colors to 16, forced to none unless you want specific color in your palette(make sure that one of the colors is the BG or zero color)
if you want specific colors goto custom and double click a box. you can manually enter a color or click the eye dropper tool anywere to use that color

after your done with indexed color you'll have a 16bit version of your pic
go back to the temp1.bmp (make sure you can see your new 16bit pic) and goto image/mode/color table
now you can use the eye dropper tool to select a new color palette in any order of colors you wish
(you have to use all 16 colors, and the same (BG or zero) color as the new pic or photoshop will mix things up)(make sure the zero color is first)
once your color palette is set up you can start copying the new graphics to the temp1.bmp
use the boxes as a reference for tile placement
after your done save as BMP(sometimes photoshop will change the format. make sure you save as OS/2 or TLP wont read it)

import bitmap into the makefile GFX and minimize the window. also minimize the photoshop window(like in the pic below)
goto the color table in photoshop a place it next to the color palette in TLP like so.   

--multi colored 16 bit image with photoshop/TLP--
start off with an image of an export made from the make file(the size you need)
open it in photoshop select a group of boxes the size you need, and copy
then goto file/new and paste
make a new layer, this bottom most layer use to make out line of graphics
make a new layer for each new color for your image (2-3 colors. 4 colors start to look bad, unless your using only one shade of that color)
after you have all the parts of your image done take the layer with the most detail, or biggest area of the image and copy it(select all copy)
file/new paste and do the indexed color(number of colors must equal 15 in the end) for example if you want to use 8 colors of you palette enter a value of 9 in the color box(the 9th color will be the BG or zero color)(its best to make the zero color vary different than the other colors)
do the same thing for the rest of the colors (if you want 4 colors type 5 in the box...ext)
after all your parts are indexed colors peace them back together(ether in the origanal work image or a new image. not the temp.bmp)
merge the layers and select all and copy. file/new paste then indexed color with 16 in the color box
after you hit OK just use the steps from Photoshop to TLP

--Hex editing trick--
i use hex editor with notepad all day long every day
the best thing is you can copy code from hex and paste in notepad, then hit space and return as my times as you need to separate code to get a better understanding at what your looking at
then after you make changes just copy all and paste back into hex w/out having to delete the spaces and return

trick2: if you need to change many of one number to another. just copy a group from hex to notepad goto edit/replace type the value you want to change in the find what box, and enter the value you want to change it to in the replace box. then just paste it back into hex. bam! saves time

--carefree hex editing--
simple trick to hack and chop worry free.
first open rom in TLP, then open rom in hex
edit as much as needed, and insted of using back ups just make a change in TLP then save. and your rom will go back to the way it was when you started