News:

Don't forget to visit the main site! There's lots of helpful docs, patches, and more!

Main Menu

Those JP dudes are at it again.

Started by Zhs2, April 16, 2011, 06:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhs2

The new JP hack wiki. Linked to this in the Super Zero Mission topic, but I figured a new topic for discussing these guys would be good too. They have some Super Metroid hacks up as well as stuff relating to our existence.

Parabox

Holy shit seems like we got some Japs competitioning us!

Quietus

I played Oxide quite some time ago, and it's definitely worth a play just for Kraid's death sound. :^_^:

herald83

The max item collection rate for Oxide is 174%??  Are missile packs worth 20 each or something??

I'm curious to see if they've cooked up much stuff that hasn't been thought of here yet.

Quietus

Quote from: herald83 on April 18, 2011, 10:39:15 PMThe max item collection rate for Oxide is 174%??  Are missile packs worth 20 each or something??
From what I recall you only get one set of Missiles, and it gives you something like 575 of them.

FullOfFail

I was just reading through stuff, and noticed they mentioned my name.

[spoiler]http://translate.google.com/translate?act=url&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www20.atpages.jp/smhack/%3F%25A5%25C8%25A5%25C3%25A5%25D7%25A5%25DA%25A1%25BC%25A5%25B8
[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, it's from a very old video from me when I was new to the whole FX1 biz. And although it's still relevant, it definitely could've been more detailed, and better presented. Really didn't expect people in Japan to be using it as a resource though XD.

Quietus

I guess it shouldn't be surprising, since the distances between the rest of us is no different, but it always feels like the non-English barrier is so much more difficult to breach with the Japanese.  Anyway, it'd be nice if we had a bilingual bridge, so that we can properly share resources.

Anybody speak Japanese, and feels like making 'first contact'? :^_^:

Lunaria

I think we had some good progress going for that back with volta, let's get FP on the case!
* Crys runs

squishy_ichigo

Bridging the gap should totally be on our list of things to do I'd say.  A few people here know a little Japanese, but not enough to communicate I'm sure.

Silver Skree

Quote from: squishy_ichigo on April 19, 2011, 08:56:29 AM
Bridging the gap should totally be on our list of things to do I'd say.  A few people here know a little Japanese, but not enough to communicate I'm sure.
Kinda sorta. I can pick out vague meanings if I can get the romaji, but I can't deal with the script or communication. Just understanding. I really need a proper course, and I'm sure there are more skilled people than me around the community that'd be willing to help.

I do agree that establishing communications between the communities should be a high priority, though. We could benefit greatly from them.

jeffvv16

Quote from: Quietus on April 19, 2011, 07:52:00 AM
Anybody speak Japanese, and feels like making 'first contact'? :^_^:

First contact? Sounds like alien talk to me, but I love the idea. I have always wanted to learn Japanese. Mostly so I could play Japanese games instead of finding a language patch for them. It does appear that the Japanese hackers are one step ahead of us as far as Super Metroid goes.

squishy_ichigo

I have taken the liberty of sending a message to someone on their side in English, I will post here if I get anything from him.

MetroidMst

Quote from: jeffvv16 on April 19, 2011, 10:22:31 AM
It does appear that the Japanese hackers are one step ahead of us as far as Super Metroid goes.
I disagree. The whole hack I had to listen to DSO complain they're using his ideas. If he would buckle down and just work on one hack at a time I believe he would've released this stuff before they did. Of course, that also goes for a few others here...

Crashtour99

Quote from: MetroidMst on April 19, 2011, 02:59:49 PM
The whole hack I had to listen to DSO complain they're using his ideas.
I think that's just something that's going to happen when you have so many people hacking the same game.  Heck, when I did the asm for charge beam healing I had every intention of renaming it the energy accumulator (still do) and I was surprised when Skree used it and gave it the same name.  Hahaha  I figure if someone comes up with something on their own it's all good, even if other people have very similar ideas that they've used.

Scyzer

Quote from: Crashtour99 on April 19, 2011, 05:26:03 PM
Quote from: MetroidMst on April 19, 2011, 02:59:49 PM
The whole hack I had to listen to DSO complain they're using his ideas.
I think that's just something that's going to happen when you have so many people hacking the same game.  Heck, when I did the asm for charge beam healing I had every intention of renaming it the energy accumulator (still do) and I was surprised when Skree used it and gave it the same name.  Hahaha  I figure if someone comes up with something on their own it's all good, even if other people have very similar ideas that they've used.

That said, you'd be surprised how many of our patches and ASM files they use in their hacks. It seems that they visit Metconst, just as a resource (which is ultimately what it is), but never integrate into the community.

Anyhow, I've talked to SBniconico over YT, and he seems to speak good enough english, and is quite friendly.

Kasel

Scyzer

Quote from: Kasel on April 20, 2011, 01:06:26 AM
Haha.  What the fuck?
Question of the ages that shall never be answered....
"What... the... fuck...?"

Man my head is just imploding from the impossible-to-comprehend philosophical meanings behind that post :S

squishy_ichigo

Alrighty, my simple hello message worked and I was greeted with a message in English! :D
To clarify, I sent a message someone who runs the wiki that we got SZM from, named smibes1994.

[spoiler]
Hello. I am from, Metroid Construction. We want to bridge gap between our two communities. Please Reply. ^o^/

I'm from "Super Metroid Hack Wiki". Nice to meet you. ゚∀゚ノ
[/spoiler]

Opinions for a follow up kiddies? I could do it myself, but I'd rather us work together on this. :3

Quietus

Well, first and foremost, provide a link to the site if you haven't already done so.  Secondly, I'd suggest a link to some of the more obvious hack-related pages, as well as the main site.  Hex Tweaks would be an obvious example.

Outside of that I'd suggest that we offer ourselves on a plate, and offer them anything we can to help.  It seems like a better option than just saying "let's share everything."  I suspect that if they decide to take us up on the offer, then they'll return the favour.  At least that's what I'm hoping. :^_^:

squishy_ichigo

They have our site on their "related sites" page

So, they know who we are, and like Sadi posted, some of them already use some of our stuff. :D

Not meaning to belittle your voice just want you to know the whole story. :3

Quietus

That's fine.  Out of curiosity, how are we sure they're using our stuff?  Is it not possible they also discovered these things?

Zhs2

They should read this topic and perhaps answer this question better for us. :3

squishy_ichigo

So other then Quietus, does no one else have any input? :<

Well, I waited long enough for people to comment, and sent a longer message. Will update when/if I get a reply.

JAM

I think, a best way to make contact is work together.

Tell them that their hack Super Metroid Zero Mission is cool and we have a person (me) who is working on similar project (Metroid 1 remake) and who will be glad to share some stuff from it and improve their hack (if they want to) like Long Beam, missile blocks, displaying area names when entering new area (as in Zero Mission) and so on...

I tried to find an author and contact him, but got failed =(

Zhs2

The dude you want to contact, I think, is SBniconico, at least as named on his Youtube account. Also, the dude that squishy's messaged was "smibes1994", from the last page.